California vacation planning info (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Straight
Reaction score
Flying into LAX on Saturday 9/28, arrival approximately 6pm. We have 7 days allotted for now but can push to 10 for a worthy trip. Traveling with the wife, 15 year old son, and 14 year old daughter. Thinking of staying someplace around LAX the first night(lodging/dinner recommendations?) and heading down to San Diego early the next morning(Sunday) and go to the zoo. Assuming the zoo is going to take up most of the day, we would like to leave enough time to check out some tide pools and see the pacific. Is this feasible? Lodging/dinner recommendations? Anything else we should do in the area?

We originally planned to head back north to Disneyland on Monday morning. We are flexible with this if there is something else to do in the San Diego area as we are a little worried about crowd size at Disneyland. Looks like LA area schools are closed on Monday for Rosh Hashanah. Between the holiday and expected crowding from Star Wars opening the parks may be mobbed. Any Disneyland experts? We planned on 1.5 to 2 days at Disneyland, is it enough, too much? Any recommendations on “off property” lodging? We normally stay on property in Disney World but I am having a hard time justifying the extra cost at Disneyland. The benefits do not appear to be worth the cost, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Depending on how the first few days map out we will be done with Disneyland on Wednesday or Thursday morning and have nothing else planned. Go east through the desert, Grand Canyon, and then back to Vegas for flight home. North towards San Francisco via PCH(everything I’ve read says go south from San Fran for a PCH road trip- any thoughts on this). Northeast towards the Sequoias and Yosemite( need to fly back to MD)? Wide open to any and all suggestions, however we are not the most physically adventurous people. Wife has had her foot reconstructed twice and is ok on flat surfaces but does not do well on uneven terrain or sand for extended periods.

Appreciate any thoughts, ideas, knowledge, insights folks are willing to share.

The wife and I love San Diego. I assume you are going to the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park. Be aware that if your wife has trouble with uneven terrain, San Diego Zoo is fairly hilly. They do have a bus tour and a sky tram (both recommended). There is also the San Diego Safari Park in nearby Escondido. Much like a zoo but the majority of the park is large area where the non-aggressive herd animals are kept together and you take a tram ride around the perimeter. The big cats, zebras, gorillas and some other animals have there own large exhibits. There are also a lot of things to do at Balboa Park. You could easily spend a day just doing stuff there.

Not knowing your budget. I like to stay at the HIlton San Diego Resort and Spa in Mission Bay which is very close to Sea World.

Disneyland is best if you go mid-week Tuesday thru Thursday. If you have never been there, expect to do two days; one day for Disneyland and one day for California Adventure. Buy a Park Hopper pass and take advantage of the Fast Pass. There are plenty of hotels within walking distance of Disneyland and, for a minimal cost, most hotels have a shuttle service.

All of the destinations you mention are worthy of seeing and doing; especially Yosemite which is one of the most beautiful anywhere. But... I have found that most people who have not been to California tend to underestimate the distance and time it take to get anywhere. Take some time and think about how much time you want to spend in the car going from place to place and how well your kids do with traveling.

I go down to San Diego a lot for work and was down in LA a few months ago and we stayed in Redondo Beach at the Crowne Plaza

While I like the SD Zoo, I find Sea World to be much more enjoyable ecause of the rides, interactive exhibits and shows. We've always stayed in Mission Beach in a beach rental but we have our lodging paid for so our situation was a little different.

My wife and I were just in Florida last week at Disneyworld and it was not worth the money we paid to get in. We stayed maybe 2.5 hours and went to sea world instead (as military we get into SW for free). The wait times for rides at Disney were all over 90 mins. At sea world we walked onto every ride with no wait. Idk how Disney land is but since your kids are older, I think they would like SW more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom