Tucson/Flagstaff info? (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Straight
Reaction score
Starting off a trip with a couple of days in Tucson. Looking for some general info, tips, suggestions, where to eat, where not to go...

Flying into Phoenix on day 1 and making the drive down to Tucson. Plan on stopping at IN-N-OUT for an early lunch (hope it lives up to the hype). Hitting a couple of quick trails in the northern end of Saguaro West and then down to Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Is this place just another tourist trap or worth the time? We figured this may be a good non strenuous activity for the early afternoon as we climatize to the altitude/heat. Most likely spending the rest of the day running errands, checking in, and dinner. What's good to eat in this town?

Looks like there are two breweries close by, 1912 and Dragoon. Preference? Something better in the area? Barrio also looked interesting.

Picked up a small Airbnb on the edge of the Sweetwater Preserve. The area looks ok, anything we need to be aware of?
Tucson map.png

Day 2- Early start with hiking in the morning(exact itinerary still in the works, splitting time between Saguaro East & West). If anyone has hiking knowledge of these areas or any other local stops that deserve time, please share. We are looking at the Pima Air & Space Museum for an afternoon activity. Good/tourist trap? Following this up with dinner and evening activities.

This evening there will be a total lunar eclipse. Hoping @AlbinoDragon would possibly share some knowledge of the area and recommend some viewing spots? It looks like this whole event is going to be low on the horizon. The place we are staying seems to have a hill/rise looking to ESE, SE and may block the beginning of the show, so it may be necessary for us to venture out.

Day 3- Travel day. Leaving Tucson in the early am and starting our journey north with a 5 hour drive to Petrified Forest. Allowing a few hours for the park and then continuing on to Flagstaff for the evening. Any must do dinner or breakfast spots in the area? Single night stay at a local hotel, then continuing on the next morning to the south rim.

Its been close to 20 years since my last trip to the Phoenix/Flagstaff area, but I remember Sedona (just south of Flagstaff) always being the highlight of the trip. Not as "grand" as the canyon, but probably even more stunningly beautiful.

Sonora was IMHO worth the trip, just be aware that most of the area is outside. Its not as much of a "traditional" musuem like you'd go to in DC where everything is inside.

Zona is an awesome trip, enjoy!

There's a bunch of stuff around the Tucson area which is nice for when folks come into town who have a variety of tastes. Looks like you have already picked out some of the highlights already.

Desert Museum is the number one place I take people who have never been here. I've been a member for nearly a decade now, and that came a decade after I should have done it. It's hard to explain as it's not exactly a zoo, yet they keep animals. It's not exactly a botanical garden, but they highlight the plants of the area. It's also not a museum, despite the name and the presence of some museum-like displays. The only way I can describe it, and it's a woefully deficient description, is an exhibition of what the Sonoran Desert is. Someone's immediate thought when they hear 'desert' is someplace barren and lifeless. When compared to places you are likely used to, it appears that way, but in reality there is a wide variety of life that is remarkably well adapted to here.

During the winter, they have a "raptor free-flight" program that highlights hawks and owls of the area flying around doing their raptor thing. I'm prety sure there are two a day and it's one of my favorite things they offer. Make sure to get to the viewing area well in advance otherwise you're not going to get a spot and won't get a good view.

Irish mentioned, it's mostly outside so dress appropriately. Sunscreen is very highly recommended.

Your airbnb is a bit 'remote' in the low hills of the Tucson Mountains. You should be totally OK there, if just a bit of a drive to get back into 'town". The Sweetwater Wetlands which is east of your airbnb next to I-10 is a favorite "in town" birding site for locals. It's also very close to the sewage treatment plant... so a little on the aromatic side. Saguaro West is the Saguaro National Park (it's split into two parts divided by the city, hence the 'west and east'). There's nothing specific to see other than those amazing cacti that can live for 200 years or more, and west is better as far as getting good looks at them as well as some beautiful scenery around them. The Desert Museum is technically adjacent to the park and you will drive through it to get there. Plenty of pullouts along the road to get out and gawk and take pictures. East would have you drive through the city to get to that half and could be a 35-45 minute drive just to get there. It's a better use of your time to stick with west.

Pima air Museum is interesting if you like old and historic aircraft. It's an older facility, but with a dedicated group of folks running the place. They have an active restoration program, so the aircraft in their extensive collection are in very nice shape. The proximity to the "boneyard" where the Air Force stores inactive planes doesn't hurt. 50/50 inside vs. outside. The hangars should be nice this time of year. In the summer, they aren't climate controlled and get pretty uncomfortable in the afternoon.

North of Tucson is Mt. Lemmon. Nice, paved road up to the top with a small village near the top. Probably a bit cool this time of year, but is a summer escape for a lot of folks around here.

Breweries and food:

Dragoon is quite good. There is a smaller brewery downtown called Borderlands that I really like. https://www.borderlandsbrewing.com/ Barrio is also good.

If you are only here for the two nights, make sure you make El Charro downtown. A Tucson classic that's been here forever. Get the carne seca. That is the thing they are known for. Also, a big appetite. It's a lot of food.

That's what I have just quickly (he types 20 minutes into this response!). As I think of things, I'll add to this.

Oh, the eclipse. I'd have to look up the exact details of that, but for the most part they are long events that take many hours from start to finish. You probably don't have to do anything special beyond going on the patio at your airbnb. I've gone to Saguaro West to get photos before, but for the most part you might be just fine without doing anything special.

I really like Dragoon. Mt. Lemmon is awesome too. Illegal Pete’s is like the Tucson version of chipotle but it’s so good, right outside of UA. Gates pass is also really neat especially at night crazy view of stars. That’s all I got! Have fun!

1. The main thing to know about Tucson is to avoid my ex-wife like the plague. She and her husband live there on the western edge of downtown, looming over the city like malevolent extraterrestrials.

2. And In-n-Out is very much like Five Guys, which you probably know of. Maybe even worse.

(Really, Tucson is pretty cool. We actually considered retiring there, until I discover #1 above...:cool)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom