Kem or Faded Spade? (1 Viewer)

Kem or Faded Spade

• Total voters
Can there be a third option for "Neither"?
You could choose not to vote.
88317C32-03E7-41D6-AD39-EAA646927E13.gif

Neither would be in my regular rotation, but, I do like the feel of the FS cards. I keep Kem because so many people like them. I would take FS over Kem. So I didn't vote, and no one cares what I think, but, they're it is. Have a nice evening.

I LOVE FADED SPADE, if I can't have Fournier.
That sorta makes sense. A lot of people here have said that Fourniers are the best substitute for KEMs, but I’m not sure I agree. Fourniers are great cards with nice texture, but they’re so significantly stiffer than KEMs that I’ve never loved the comparison. I’m not sure if I’d put them right in the middle of faded spades and KEMs, but I could see how a guy could go either way, depending on his flexiness/stiffness preference.

I really like Faded Spades and even the bridge size work well in my ShuffleTech. But, if I had to hand shuffle cards all night the best cards I’ve ever handled are the Angel Club Poker in the green set up box.

Last edited:
That sorta makes sense. A lot of people here have said that Fourniers are the best substitute for KEMs, but I’m not sure I agree. Fourniers are great cards with nice texture, but they’re so significantly stiffer than KEMs that I’ve never loved the comparison. I’m not sure if I’d put them right in the middle of faded spades and KEMs, but I could see how a guy could go either way, depending on his flexiness/stiffness preference.
FS are probably the stiffest cards, IMO, Fournier less so, but, stiffer than many. There is no comparison, IMO, between Kem and FS, or Fournier. Fournier hits the sweet spot with me.

Question doesn't account for difference within the brand. For example, I like pre-USPC KEM, but I don't like new KEM; I like the newest V3 Faded Spade, but I don't like the older versions.
I hear you, and I thought about that, and it seemed way too complex. So I kept it simple - Kem or faded spade. I’ll leave it to which you buy, how you buy. Being realistic, you can probably get whatever you want even if you have to resort to eBay, but I guess you take into account what premium you’d pay, if you’re looking for something hard to find. Or you go to Amazon or their websites and choose what’s available now for whatever they’re charging. So, knowing what you know about which decks you might find and at the price you’d find them, which would you buy?

I will say this, and then I'm going to shut up, I promise...guy that runs our monthly tournaments uses Kem only. He loves the fact that he can get a new card shipped any time one has been marked or damaged in some way.

I lied... I've only used version 3 of FS, so a small frame of reference. Fournier. Now I'm done!

KEM. I do like FS, and they are the favorite of several in my group, but these are also the guys that start drooling when I pull out a plastic set to play with. Granted, I love plastics too, but I unveiled the Tigers and not a peep was spoken, and then tonight I brought out a damn San Juan set and they were ogling over it. So, KEM definitely gets the vote!

Faded Spade, definitely. Kems feel great, but out of three setups bought in the last two years, two of them have had quality control issues that made the decks unusable. Whether it's a deck with coarse finishing on just one card's back (so I can feel the ace of hearts) or a gold arrow deck with noticeably different shades of gold on different cards (darker card is the jack of spades)... I just can't justify continuing to buy them for my streams anymore. FS, Fournier, Piatnik, Trefl... we'll be trying out a bunch of different cards over the next few months.

If they are going to be gifted to me I'd take KEM > FS and use them the one time they would be playable before garbage (FS are garbage right out of the box). But not going to spend my own money, so abstain since no "neither" option

Only 31 votes.

There definitely should have been an option for "neither".

If they are going to be gifted to me I'd take KEM > FS and use them the one time they would be playable before garbage (FS are garbage right out of the box). But not going to spend my own money, so abstain since no "neither" option
and this is how his watch begins.....

I haven't had my FS in play for very long so it may be premature to proclaim them as anything superior to Kem but I've had some Kem not last more than 1 game before warping and have even had some not even hit the felt because of it so since I love everything about FS so far and are kinda "meh" on most things with Kem cards, you already know where my vote currently lies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom