Cancelled Isle of Capri 1100 piece set $4000 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm down for 3 racks of 5's ~210$ a rack if that's doable if not let me know what the rate is.

I'm down for 3 racks of 5's ~210$ a rack if that's doable if not let me know what the rate is.
That's near the upper end of what's fair imo for the 5s.
That being said even if the 5s sell for 210 and the 25s for 180 that means the average for the rest of the chips needs to be 554/rack. Not sure if that's really feasible.

@ImCrossland you recently built and priced a set. Can you contribute a sense of current market prices?
Given how rare $1s are and that a turnkey set today is so rare to see come up for sale I don’t think it’s that far off when I went over it real quick.

@ImCrossland you recently built and priced a set. Can you contribute a sense of current market prices?
In my limited experience, the cost per denomination can be significantly different depending on purchasing by the rack or by the set.

While it’s not fair to the seller for me to outline here what FMV is, I will list what I would consider to be a fair price that I would pay if I were looking to get more IOC:

$0.5 - $6/chip
$1 - $4.5/chip
$5 - $2.25/chip
$25 - $2/chip
$100 - $4.5/chip

I could also understand an additional “premium” being placed when offering a complete set for sale considering how difficult it might be for someone to acquire everything individually.

discussing previous sales should isnt really crapping since as you said the complete set is so hard to track down that it should command a premium. and given how rare some of these things are maybe the prices have gone up - in which case knowing sales might help for how to price them in a split although in this case it's basically irrelevant since rack sale prices match up pretty closely with the set price.

most recent auction for a rack of 1s: 450, second high bid 400
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ses-tuesday-at-9-00-pm-et.74837/#post-1517084
there are also a couple of wanted ads at 450

most recent auction for fracs: 655, second high bid 650 (this was for 107 chips)
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ion-closes-thursday-9-pm-eastern.75567/page-2
very little sales history otherwise

for 100s there are a couple of sales and always at 3.5 a chip price point by the barrel.
for 25s history seems to be closer to 1.5/chip
for 5's there's a huge range but anything between 2 and 2.5 is in line with sales.

discussing previous sales should isnt really crapping since as you said the complete set is so hard to track down that it should command a premium. and given how rare some of these things are maybe the prices have gone up - in which case knowing sales might help for how to price them in a split although in this case it's basically irrelevant since rack sale prices match up pretty closely with the set price.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ses-tuesday-at-9-00-pm-et.74837/#post-1517084

most recent auction for fracs: 655, second high bid 650 (this was for 107 chips)
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ion-closes-thursday-9-pm-eastern.75567/page-2

for 100s there are a couple of sales and always at 3.5 a chip price point by the barrel.
for 5's there's a huge range but anything between 2 and 2.5 is in line with sales.
Those auctions look very familiar lol

Not thread crapping at all, I think it's fair game.
True, those were the last prices at auction, but those auctions were back in May and June. If you haven't seen a sale since then that means they go on sale very rarely. As far as wanted ads go, i could put a wanted ad for a rack of Mapes ones at $500, but I really doubt anyone would sell one to me for that price (although if you're feeling generous please pm me).

I think this whole discussion does not lead to any result. In the end @Chippy McChiperson must say if he wants to split at all and then what he wants to sell each chip for.
That being said, i do not think the value of a chip is what some "crazy" dude pays for them because of not beeing a little patient. Do you think the $500 is worth $10.000 per rack?

I think this whole discussion does not lead to any result. In the end @Chippy McChiperson must say if he wants to split at all and then what he wants to sell each chip for.
That being said, i do not think the value of a chip is what some "crazy" dude pays for them because of not beeing a little patient. Do you think the $500 is worth $10.000 per rack?

like I said earlier I‘m happy to split, but only if the chips are all accounted for. Its up to the people buying the chips to figure out how it gets to $4000 (which I believe is a very fair price). Or if someone wants to swoop in and buy the whole set, that’s fine too.

• Users shall not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, and/or threaten another member.
It’s okay to disagree. For instance, I think something’s worth is whatever someone else is willing to pay for it.

There’s no need to publicly hurl insults. :)

I wrote the "crazy" in quotation marks. I did not mean any insult there. "Crazy" is commonly used here for the chip prices these days. You even advertise in your wanted ads to pay a lot above market price...
What you say about value is probably right for the exact time you buy chips at any given price. However that would also idicate that if chips are not sold, that their value is less than whats asked at given time.
To my mind the value of something is a little different.
If you want chips "NOW" you always have to pay for the "NOW". @ImCrossland you and @Windwalker for example have the tendency to get the chips you want without waiting two month for someone selling them. This is absolutley fine, and of course with the high price offers you make people sell chips that they might not sell otherwise. The question is if that changes the value of the chip itself, after the deal is completed.

I wrote the "crazy" in quotation marks. I did not mean any insult there. "Crazy" is commonly used here for the chip prices these days. You even advertise in your wanted ads to pay a lot above market price...
What you say about value is probably right for the exact time you buy chips at any given price. However that would also idicate that if chips are not sold, that their value is less than whats asked at given time.
To my mind the value of something is a little different.
If you want chips "NOW" you always have to pay for the "NOW". @ImCrossland you and @Windwalker for example have the tendency to get the chips you want without waiting two month for someone selling them. This is absolutley fine, and of course with the high price offers you make people sell chips that they might not sell otherwise. The question is if that changes the value of the chip itself, after the deal is completed.
Can I answer this? Yes.

Also affecting value is inflation, demand, supply, alcohol, cannabis, size of home game, size of ego, and even some husbands and wives.

Can I answer this? Yes.

Also affecting value is inflation, demand, supply, alcohol, cannabis, size of home game, size of ego, and even some husbands and wives.
D0D85022-8742-4675-86A5-35C55EAEF16B.gif

BTP cash > wife

“Worth” in terms of utility - ok it’s all worthless, but it provides an estimate of how likley it is you’d be able to sell for a given price in the future. Which matters to on-the-fence buyers because of course no one wants to lose money.

500s are so rare and the price paid such an outlier that you can’t count on others paying it in the future. The market was set by one person.

1s on the other hand have gotten a lot of action from several people up to and beyond 400ish. The price is established enough that if you put them for sale at 3.75 you’d likely get flippers buying it up. I’m not personally in this market but it’s not hard to see how/why people are willing to pay steep premiums. One of the nicest mint rhc 1s out there in a set where 5s and 25s are easy to find yet 1s are impossible to find.

The market for fracs is somewhere between. Very fuzzy idea of what they’d go for and it probably depends on petty shit like how well staged the pics are.

I’m not saying they aren’t - I’m saying that their price isn’t as well established / There’s a larger range of what they could fetch at auction relative to previous sales.

I’m not saying they aren’t - I’m saying that their price isn’t as well established / There’s a larger range of what they could fetch at auction relative to previous sales.
The reason the price isn’t as “well established” is that the fracs are more rare.

I know not everybody uses fracs in their sets, but I would be willing to guess that for home games, most people do want fracs. That would lead one to think the price at auction would be significantly higher than that of the $1 chip.

Most? I don’t know about that. And even if you wanted them you don’t need nearly as many. I suspect demand for fracs is more for collectibility than actual use value but i could be wrong.

There definitely are people spending thousands on a chip set who play poker with a buyin of $20 or less. Probably most buyers are playing bigger though.

Big frac guy here. If you have a big family with younger people who would like to play, fracs take away a lot of the initial intimidation factors that can be present with larger stakes.

Most? I don’t know about that. And even if you wanted them you don’t need nearly as many. I suspect demand for fracs is more for collectibility than actual use value but i could be wrong.

There definitely are people spending thousands on a chip set who play poker with a buyin of $20 or less. Probably most buyers are playing bigger though.
I’m just guessing from all of the home games and meetups I’ve attended over the years. Maybe just the circles I run in are different than yours.

it’s an interesting question, I think I’ll start my first poll and we can see what the collective on PCF thinks.

I’m just guessing from all of the home games and meetups I’ve attended over the years. Maybe just the circles I run in are different than yours.

it’s an interesting question, I think I’ll start my first poll and we can see what the collective on PCF thinks.
Do it! Would be notably more .25/.50 or .50/1 games than $1/$2+ games from members on here

Do it! Would be notably more .25/.50 or .50/1 games than $1/$2+ games from members on here
Was thinking the same thing although I did not like the experience of $0.50/$1 games. Felt like the fracs didn’t get played very much. Stick a @Gear 25¢ label on these bad boys and you have yourself an incredible set for the price.

Was thinking the same thing although I did not like the experience of $0.50/$1 games. Felt like the fracs didn’t get played very much. Stick a @Gear 25¢ label on these bad boys and you have yourself an incredible set for the price.
I don't HATE .50 chips, I just think that .25 chips are way more flexible.

I’m not sure what that proves as far as price/demand for these chips goes. Even though most games I play don’t use fracs I still have fracs for my Hsi set - just not the originals.

My only point was that if you put up a rack of fracs and a rack of 1s at auction, that the 1s will tend to fetch something closer to previous sales. Larger volume of sale gives a more stable price estimate. Is that controversial?

I’m not sure what that proves as far as price/demand for these chips goes. Even though most games I play don’t use fracs I still have fracs for my Hsi set - just not the originals.

My only point was that if you put up a rack of fracs and a rack of 1s at auction, that the 1s will tend to fetch something closer to previous sales. Larger volume of sale gives a more stable price estimate. Is that controversial?
I have a feeling just based on pms, that if I were to auction racks individually (I'm not) the fracs would go for significantly higher. It's all about supply and demand, and there are far fewer fracs in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom