Is TRK Popularity Waning Among New Chippers? (2 Viewers)

That's GREAT news for me. Nobody needs @RainmanTrail bidding against them in an auction when Deadwoods or Rounders finally show up. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on a second. I never said I wouldn't bid on them lol. I just said they weren't in the same league as the old school TRKs like Mapes, Nevada Lodge, and Riverside. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I don’t know how anybody could handle TRK scrowns and not love them. But I think that’s more to do with the material than the mold itself. I haven’t handled the CPC versions yet, but I don’t expect them to feel much like the TRKs, because the clay is so different.

The CPCs are great too. Not quite TRK great, but definitely CPCs best mold IMO. I've had sets on CSQ, MD-50, E&C, Roman, SCROWN. These definitely take the cake. Although E&C aren't far behind for me.

I seem to have accumulated many, mainly because they were available and I thought maybe I would do something with them someday. I can honestly say I dig my jessie beck riverside, but the newer ones and the solids are just not as exciting. I'm torn on milling hotstamp chips because the denomination are cool on the trk chips, but who wants a $10 red chip? Also some may have history that I dont feel right destroying, so yeah, I have a small horde with no definite plans.

The CPCs are great too. Not quite TRK great, but definitely CPCs best mold IMO. I've had sets on CSQ, MD-50, E&C, Roman, SCROWN. These definitely take the cake. Although E&C aren't far behind for me.
If only they could add some powdered tungsten to their clay...

I think the reference to colors being muted is probably due to most of the sets being bought and sold are the older monogrammed hot stamped sets and are not the newer and later sets. A lot of those sets were probably from the 60-70s and the color palette back them may have been limited then. Also, you need to see them in person as the pics don't do them justice. There were certain TR King colors that just popped and there were many that didn't have a similar color on Paulson or ASM back in those days. Also recall BCC using a few of the TR King colors. One other thing to point out is there were not a ton of TR King custom sets as TR King shut down soon after most of us old time chippers were just getting into the game. My favorite custom set was the Red Room set that i think Paz has.

Here are a few pics:

Love the orange.. was it called "blaze"? also remember a "fire"
48855600842_8079c3c1aa.jpg

Was never a fan of the Kings Crown inlay, either, but some of the inserts were very nice.
48252402651_77e8d6ac83.jpg

48252441747_a15181eecb.jpg

Solids
49673386357_1d5e0e148b.jpg

I don’t know how anybody could handle TRK scrowns and not love them. But I think that’s more to do with the material than the mold itself. I haven’t handled the CPC versions yet, but I don’t expect them to feel much like the TRKs, because the clay is so different.
Amen to that first line sir!! I own a couple of samples of the scrown from CPC... I was skeptical, they didn't at all like TRK small crowns. Honestly if that is what you are expecting save your money, 8.5 - 9 grams with brass dust (about max weight of CPC, less with Day Glo colors) vs. 10.5 - 12g leaded TRKs... it's just not the same!

I was scared I wasn't going to like the Silver Tounged Devils when I bought them from Quicksilver... scared of being disappointed again in CPCs scrown. But the inlay and set design are without equal to me...
20200307_213547.jpg

I was soo wrong on these! Again they are not old school TRKs but the weight, density of the clay and overall feel reminds me more of the higher end BCC chips (like the inlaid Grand Cardrooms, or the Lady Lucks).

My point, CPC scrowns will never be the same as TRKs but they are still putting out a fantastic product, and honestly much better than the lighter (non leaded) 8.5 g TRKs that feel like plastic crap!!!

Seems like as good a place as any to ask this question - can somebody explain to me how inlaid TRKs were made? Because unlike Paulsons, you can't tell where the clay ends and the inlay begins - if you run ypur nail over it, it's just smooth. It feels like there's a laminate or a clear coat on top of the inlay and the clay, making them one.

One of my major regrets in chipping is not having purchased a set of Deadwoods when they were commercially available.

I've managed to acquire a few playable mint TRK sets in recent years, but some 'chipper' asshole has scooped up more of the Deadwoods than he could ever possibly use (and doesn't), selfishly preventing anybody else from building a small set and enjoying/sharing them with others.

Seems like as good a place as any to ask this question - can somebody explain to me how inlaid TRKs were made? Because unlike Paulsons, you can't tell where the clay ends and the inlay begins - if you run ypur nail over it, it's just smooth.
It's a difference in the molds. Many CPC (and BCC) chips/molds are the same way; there no recess where the inlay is placed/pressed -- resulting in a smooth surface.

I've managed to acquire a few playable mint TRK sets in recent years, but some 'chipper' asshole has scooped up more of the Deadwoods than he could ever possibly use (and doesn't), selfishly preventing anybody else from building a small set and enjoying/sharing them with others.

As I've stated many times before, "set blocking" is the greatest chipping sin there is, in my eyes.

I'd love to build a mixed TRK set. Too rare and too rich for my blood, though!

Wow, I thought everybody was rooting for the guy who was trying to own every single one of those chips ever made. It always seemed obnoxious to me.
it’s a dicey thing, because I try not to begrudge anybody anything they’ve earned. But it’s sort of the definition of greed (to keep gathering long after you have more than you need) and I think that’s a real factor in keeping TRKs out of peoples hands - there just aren’t enough to go around.

One of my major regrets in chipping is not having purchased a set of Deadwoods when they were commercially available.

:whistle: :whistling: :rolleyes:

Just for the record, the Deadwoods are on the rotation list for my Tuesday night games once they get up and going.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I just recently acquired a TRK tournament set (Poseidon’s)... the feel and sound is absolutely fantastic. I’ve yet to felt them but hopefully soon. They’re heavy with a really solid “clack” when shuffled.
Send out an invite brother!! Damn would love to be there when those hit the felt!!

I don’t know how anybody could handle TRK scrowns and not love them.
By my estimation (I'm sure @RainmanTrail can provide more accurate statistical analysis), 10-15% of all chippers are immune to TRK's. I am, thankfully, in that small percentage. I've owned two vintage sets. Sold them off both times without a second thought.

There is exactly one old school TRK set that I would love to have and it has very, very little to do with their feel. It's more the history and the overall aethetic for me.

IMO the Scrown mold is just meh.
IDK, I think it's a *little* better than that... ;)

full

So... Uh... Now I have 1700 coming... So... Yeah.... Crap. What have I done....
Ohh...it just occurred to me what these are for. NM. Others are the goofballs. Silly TRK owners...that bug is harder to shake than mono.

Owning TRK's leads to owning less home and more TRK's.

although I haven't barely ventured down the TRK road, I say good, I don't like competition , so when I finally do go down the road, the less people interested , the better :)

By my estimation (I'm sure @RainmanTrail can provide more accurate statistical analysis), 10-15% of all chippers are immune to TRK's. I am, thankfully, in that small percentage. I've owned two vintage sets. Sold them off both times without a second thought.

There is exactly one old school TRK set that I would love to have and it has very, very little to do with their feel. It's more the history and the overall aethetic for me.

IDK, I think it's a *little* better than that... ;)

full
I love that set. Oi.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom