Is this angling? (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,

Had an interesting discussion at a home game recently and wanted to get some thoughts whether this is angling.

Casual friends $1/2 game, stacks are $500 - $1k.

Heads up to the river and Villain makes a $50 (3/4 pot) bet. As hero (not me) is deciding to make the call, V makes a comment "don't worry its only $50". At which point, hero snap calls and V turns over the nut flush.

H makes a comment saying that V's statement is angling and in a 'less friendly' game would get called out / penalised.

What do you think?
Send your friend the link to this thread.

I say this all the time. “It’s okay $xx”. I say it when I don’t have anything and want them to fold. I love speech play until it becomes annoying.

What do you think about this “incident”

Kobe Bryant GIF

Checkraising and lying about not having looked at your cards are two totally different things.
Ay, if you change your play based on what a professional poker player tells you at the table, I dont know what to tell you lol. Hellmuth is a special kind of childish.

I say this all the time. “It’s okay $xx”. I say it when I don’t have anything and want them to fold. I love speech play until it becomes annoying.

Checkraising and lying about not having looked at your cards are two totally different things.
Hellmuth would've folded here, lying at the poker table is wrong.

Hero explained that he felt that V was trying to imply weakness and it was only $50 to call my bluff.
Does Hero not understand the point of poker is to take your opponent’s chips, not give yours away? Why would V make such a statement if that is what he meant?!? Some common sense should have told him something was fishy.

Hi folks,

Had an interesting discussion at a home game recently and wanted to get some thoughts whether this is angling.

Casual friends $1/2 game, stacks are $500 - $1k.

Heads up to the river and Villain makes a $50 (3/4 pot) bet. As hero (not me) is deciding to make the call, V makes a comment "don't worry its only $50". At which point, hero snap calls and V turns over the nut flush.

H makes a comment saying that V's statement is angling and in a 'less friendly' game would get called out / penalised.

What do you think?
Not even in the realm of angling.

As others have said, villian played mind games w hero and won, no angle here.

To me angling is more of an "action move", not speech at the table.

Yeah - how dare he be deceitful at a poker game? I for one never lie, and checkraising is also a dogged, dirty move!
I was playing at Harrahs in AC years ago and check raised a guy on the flop when I hit a set of Q's.
No joke, guy began to curse me out and wanted to step outside To fight, repeatedly. Kept yelling at me, "You cant do that!" I was too busy laughing at him to oblige him.

I was playing at Harrahs in AC years ago and check raised a guy on the flop when I hit a set of Q's.
No joke, guy began to curse me out and wanted to step outside To fight, repeatedly. I was too busy laughing to oblige him.
Harrah's is a BROTHEL if they let sick acts like that occur! I slap you with my glove; Ill see you out by the stables.

Love that place for the low stakes. You could fold for 3 hours straight, finally go all in preflop with aces, and some goon is going to call thinking you're trying something.

Harrah's is a BROTHEL if they let sick acts like that occur! I slap you with my glove; Ill see you out by the stables.

Love that place for the low stakes. You could fold for 3 hours straight, finally go all in preflop with aces, and some goon is going to call thinking you're trying something.
Place isn't the greatest but before kids I used to play there often enough where I got to know a lot of the dealers and enjoyed it.

You're 100% right, can fold like a nit and someone is bound to call. I've seen it all the time with old guys and young guns and all I can think is, haven't you seen him fold for 3 orbits straight?!

I'm with you. Some speech play is fun. But guys who make it a big part of their game can be annoying. Somebody mentioned Persson earlier - I can't stand that guy. Fun is fun, but when it's constant it tends to be less fun.
The incident in this video is fine. I don't like it personally, but I would never call the guy a cheater, an angler, or try to whine to the floor about it.

I'm with you. Some speech play is fun. But guys who make it a big part of their game can be annoying. Somebody mentioned Persson earlier - I can't stand that guy. Fun is fun, but when it's constant it tends to be less fun.
The incident in this video is fine. I don't like it personally, but I would never call the guy a cheater, an angler, or try to whine to the floor about it.

Yeah, the guy complaining to the floor must be very new to poker. How does he not know that poker players are all liars?? lol

Making an issue out of it to try to get people to play easy on you in the future is borderline angling

It’s poker Phil!

In case two pages of responses isn't enough evidence, this is not even close to angling.

I also agree with the sentiment that Villain's behavior is bordering on angling itself.

Either he has meaningful experience in cardrooms, in which case he's making up a rule he should know doesn't exist to improperly claw back a loss, or he has no meaningful experience in cardrooms (my guess), in which case he's still making up a rule to improperly claw back a loss.

The only out I see is that maybe he's innocently misinterpreting something he saw/read and honestly believes this is what angling is. Maybe it would be good to ask him where he got the impression that this is angling.

The more experience he has playing poker, the more this smells like a freeroll to try to get his money back, and the less I would trust him moving forward.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to start a debate here, but my 2 cents:
That was just plain wrong.
He fooled Phil using speech. I don't see why that's wrong at a poker table.

Yes, they are two different things, but neither is angling in my book. I understand opinions can differ on the matter, though.

I'm not trying to start a debate here, but my 2 cents:

He fooled Phil using speech. I don't see why that's wrong at a poker table.

Yes, they are two different things, but neither is angling in my book. I understand opinions can differ on the matter, though.
Yes, opinion’s definitely differ on the matter. And fwiw, I don’t think it’s an angle, I think it’s just plain wrong. Especially from a professional.

The unholy trinity of unbearability:

2D1726FA-9EE5-4262-8F95-8424C7DBC737.jpeg

191FA38A-B0E1-4111-94E3-998BDE5FFE1B.jpeg
C77E3BF4-7566-419D-8F26-576982454A89.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom