Is this angling? (1 Viewer)

fishsaybloop

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Had an interesting discussion at a home game recently and wanted to get some thoughts whether this is angling.

Casual friends $1/2 game, stacks are $500 - $1k.

Heads up to the river and Villain makes a $50 (3/4 pot) bet. As hero (not me) is deciding to make the call, V makes a comment "don't worry its only $50". At which point, hero snap calls and V turns over the nut flush.

H makes a comment saying that V's statement is angling and in a 'less friendly' game would get called out / penalised.

What do you think?

Hero explained that he felt that V was trying to imply weakness and it was only $50 to call my bluff.
Yeah, this is just run of the mill speech play. I’d be curious what kind of things Hero would find acceptable to say during a hand (presuming heads up) if this is something they’d consider below board.

Hero explained that he felt that V was trying to imply weakness and it was only $50 to call my bluff.
Well yes, that is what speech play on the river is for.
Totally fine to try to talk your opponent into a decision if it's heads up and you're one of the two parties still involved in the hand.

Similar thing happened in an online tournament recently. Villain posts in the chat window that “it’s time to go, who wants my chips?” and then raises all in pre.

Three suckers bite, and he shows KK and takes down a pretty substantial pot.

I’ve seen this movie before, so I wasn’t one of the players busting out because of it. But yeah, part of the game IMO. It’s poker, deception is expected, everyone is a liar.

Given your name and thread title, I thought we were going to have another fishing thread going! This is angling:

5FB5CC80-C6F4-4D6C-B304-62E7A90DD577.jpeg

Actually V "feigning weakness" by talking usually means he has the nuts lol. This holds true for most poker players. Especially in a SG home game :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:. Makes it easy to get away. Not an angle IMO, rather the opposite.

I always let them know… if my mouth was moving, I was probably lying… :wtf:

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard eric persson use this exact line when he had skwadoosh…but don’t quote me on that.

He might have said…”don’t worry, it’s only $350k”.

Angling is when you purposely bend/break a stated/known rule to gain an advantage. Talking when you are HU is not against any rule. So unless what you say indicates or implies an action, which you are then held to, chat away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom