is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel? (2 Viewers)

is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel?

• no, he makes me want to kill innocent women and children

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • musicians make music and billy joel creates audible ebola, so i dismiss the question as meaningless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
How about that Kanye tho :rolleyes:

here's the difference: billy joel seems like a regular enough guy (apart from the arrogance of pretending he's a goddamn composer) but makes pure shit music whereas kanye is evidently out of his mind in every way and would likely be a miserable fuck to be around, but makes brilliant music. i'll take the latter.

To me, Billy Joel is like REO Speedwagon. A band whose singles were palatable to an elementary/middle school kid in the early '80s, and now loaded with nostalgia.

I think all those pro-you may be right at the BBotB fall into a similar category.

Can't grow up making out with your first girlfriend while listening to that shit without it imprinting indelibly.

here's the difference: billy joel seems like a regular enough guy (apart from the arrogance of pretending he's a goddamn composer) but makes pure shit music whereas kanye is evidently out of his mind in every way and would likely be a miserable fuck to be around, but makes brilliant music. i'll take the latter.

Ehh, I wouldn't say he makes brilliant music, pre 808s & Heartbreak he did, but what he puts out now is straight dog doo. Same thing with Lil Wayne, pre Tha Carter III

Ehh, I wouldn't say he makes brilliant music, pre 808s & Heartbreak he did, but what he puts out now is straight dog doo. Same thing with Lil Wayne, pre Tha Carter III

i can see the lil wayne criticism a LOT more than the kanye. watch the throne can suck my nuts, but fantasy and yeezus were both awesome imo.

Guy's a mega douche but a talented mega douche... MBDTF is among the top 5 hip-hop albums of all time imo...

vic9ggh.jpg

I actually liked Billy Joel way way back before he became BILLY JOEL!!!. But to answer your original question - yes, quite a few. This includes all rappers. Can anyone listen to rap music without getting the urge to kill someone or having their IQ drop 100 points?

Reactions: BNM
I actually liked Billy Joel way way back before he became BILLY JOEL!!!. But to answer your original question - yes, quite a few. This includes all rappers. Can anyone listen to rap music without getting the urge to kill someone or having their IQ drop 100 points?

Dad, is that you?

Verbatim sounds like my 67 yr old dad, lol

All rapers?!?!?!

To answer your question, yes... I LOVE quite a few hip-hop albums... Music (and art in general) is not all about IQ... It's about emotion, mood, connection, enjoyment, etc...

It's clear you don't like hip-hop which is totally fine... But simply discredit a whole music genre (and those who like it) because you happen to hate it I think it's a bit too much imo... As ManAmongKids was inferring, the same thing you're saying about hip-hop was said way back then about Blues, about Jazz, about Rock about any new music genre out there... There's a ton of really bad hip-hop out there, but there's some outstanding stuff also... Just like in any other genre... Just to pick one example: The Roots!

I'm a 45 year old dude who grew up in a pre-hip-hop era... And still, you can see me with my headphones bumping some 36 Chambers every now and then... I'm a music NUT! Have been collecting Jazz records for years... Love blues, love rock, love classic music, love country, love metal, love everything that moves me... In each one of those genres, there's bad stuff and awesome stuff...

Last edited:
Answer to the OP - Every 'new country' 'star'

Speaking of country-ish Spike, are your familiar with your countrymen Deep Dark Woods? It's sort of melodic country/americana but very, very well done... Check out they album The Place I Left Behind from 2011... Very cool and moody stuff...

I just skimmed through a couple of their songs. not bad... I was talking about the Luke Bryands and Dean Brody types. ughhhh

I'm with you there man... Not a fan of that 'packaged' country either... I'm all about the old school stuff... Of the newer stuff I'm all about Jamey Johnson... His Guitar Song and That Lonesome Song albums are fucking amazing...

This thread is going to go on......

....for the longest time......

Why all the hate? Billy Joel is ok. All the truly sucky music out there and we have to go after the piano man?

I'm not so sure I can stomach any of that 80's pop like Duran Duran and such. We were loving the rock back then. The classic rockers and heavy sound (not hair bands) is what I liked about those days.

My musical tastes are more diverse than most. There is no single genre that I will slam because it is part of a genre. Good rap is good. Good rock is good. Same goes for blues, jazz, country, reggae, gospel, or street performer with a couple of 5 gallon buckets. Music should move you. Pep you up, or wind you down. Sometimes you just want formulaic bullshit in the same way you sometimes get a fast food burger. Sometimes you want something never heard before - the musical equivalent to putting hot sauce on a salad - It may be great, it may suck, but it will be different.

With Billy Joel, you know exactly what you are going to get. I don't find it bad, but it is neither creative nor inspired. He did get to divorce Katie Lee, AND Christine Brinkley, and still manage to knock up Alexis Roderick. At some point you just have to say "This man doesn't have looks, he doesn't have money, but he is picking up preemo women. Maybe I'm overlooking something in his music."

Everything recorded by The Smiths was during the '80s!

hope to christ you're posting this as an example of GOOD music from the 80s. i remember being sort of crushed when i got heavily into the smiths in my early teens and realized a lot of what i loved about peter buck's guitar tone was ripped off from johnny marr. still love peter buck like crazy, though...

Smiths bad? Put the crack pipe down, jb! :D

There's so much great music coming out of the '80s I don't know where to start.

R&L Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights

Some Uncle Tom:
Heartattack and Vine
Swordfishtrombones
Rain Dogs
Franks Wild Years

Prob my favourite EP ever: You Made Me Realise

For everything remebered there are a dozen records forgot. '80s ruled!

I will save my MBV experience for when I have more than a moment to post, but times eleventy billion to the TW love. He and Sonic Youth introduced me to the merging of "experimental" and rock music.

Guy's a mega douche but a talented mega douche... MBDTF is among the top 5 hip-hop albums of all time imo...

I saw him in concert when he came out with 808... it was amazing. Rihanna opened for him which was bleh.

What, don't hate on the Smiths! I dated a 23 year old when I was in high school that introduced me to the Smiths... that was a fun summer...

Nicki-Minaj1.jpg

^ By far, the biggest talent of all time, said no one ever!

And Ben, as to 80's music being AIDS, I strongly disagree. Many many great bands mentioned already. 80's music was amazing. Much better than the few artists to come out of the 90's and 00's. In fact, I'm not sure I can name many 2000's artists. The 90's produced Kurt Cobain, Vanilla Ice, and MC Hammer... I'd trade Ice-man and Hammer in a heartbeat to hear Cobain live just once.

As for 80's music, you can find a comprehensive listing of the top 100 here LINK

But to rip a few of the bands/acts I enjoyed from the 80's:

Michael Jackson (child creeper, but he was an amazing talent)
Queen (Freddie Mercury was a star)
Prince
U2
ACDC
R.E.M.
Van Halen
Depeche Mode
Journey (yes, I admit it, I like them)
The Clash
INXS (a little fluff, but I liked them growing up)
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd (when I'm looking for a little acid trip flashback)
Run DMC
Lionel Richie
KISS (though a little 70's, they still held their own in the 80's)
Survivor (c'mon, who didn't jump up and start shadow boxing every time "eye of the tiger" came on the radio?)

My first thought was Bill Ray Cyrus but I've been fastposted.

Don't forget his daughter, Miley. ugggggggh.
I don't quite get this thread. I mean I get it, but it seems there are other artists more "worthy" to pick on. Thread should have been "artists who irritate you" or something similar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom