is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel? (3 Viewers)

is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel?

• no, he makes me want to kill innocent women and children

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • musicians make music and billy joel creates audible ebola, so i dismiss the question as meaningless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
When I was a kid, back when there was no such thing as streaming music or youtube, I asked for every Kiss (and solo) album for Christmas. Never regretted that decision.

Kiss is amazing. They are exactly correctly ranked because for every Kiss fanboy, there are a hundred indierock dickfaces (I know you aren't an indierock dickface BPT ;)) who don't see how great they are. Fortunately things do seem to be pulling back toward the pro-Kiss camp in the last few years, but for a while everyone I played in bands with and everyone who thought themselves musically educated talked shit about Kiss.

They have so many songs that get summarily dismissed because they're Kiss songs when they would be LOVED if they came from any other band. If someone leaked a bunch of unreleased Big Star tracks and Flaming Youth came out with an Alex Chilton songwriting credit, hipsters would be blasting it.

Same story if Drive-By Truckers put out Room Service as a b-side.

I could go on. One of Kiss' biggest accomplishments is being thought of by some as hard rock or metal when they're at their core a pop band. Of course that's where the marketing genius comes in and it was certainly that. But it's the music that makes them truly great.
I was and still am a KISS fan. In fact that was the very first concert I saw back in August of 1977 (KISS Alive 2 recorded there) I saw them several times throughout the years and most recently about 5 years ago. I will admit that some of their "hard rock" pop music is very basic but there are some great songs in the deep tacks.

I also have to say that someone commented about AC/DC not being great after Bon Scott. I would have to disagree. Another great band that had a distinct sound and wrote some great music. Listen to the deep tracks!

I also have to say that someone commented about AC/DC not being great after Bon Scott. I would have to disagree. Another great band that had a distinct sound and wrote some great music. Listen to the deep tracks!

Maybe me. I agree they were still a very good band during Back in Black and a short time thereafter, but the Bon Scott greatness is impossible to match. Still enjoy Hell's Bells, Shoot to Thrill, Have a Drink On Me, and Back in Black a ton, just a different brand of rock from the Bon era.

Maybe me. I agree they were still a very good band during Back in Black and a short time thereafter, but the Bon Scott greatness is impossible to match. Still enjoy Hell's Bells, Shoot to Thrill, Have a Drink On Me, and Back in Black a ton, just a different brand of rock from the Bon era.
Agreed although not too far off. In fact to the untrained ear people do not know the difference.
I can remember seeing AC/DC with Angus on Bon Scott's shoulders walking right past me. Wow what a concert! Then I will have to say that seeing them a few years ago it was one of the best concerts I have seen in a long time. They put on a great show even being older than me!

Ok, one last thing on this subject. I will say I had the opportunity to see Billy Joel and Elton John perform together twice. Although not a hyge fan of Billy Joel I will have to say hearing his music performed by Elton John took it to a different level.

Have you heard any of the Bon Scott music that was pre AC/DC?

Ok, one last thing on this subject. I will say I had the opportunity to see Billy Joel and Elton John perform together twice. Although not a hyge fan of Billy Joel I will have to say hearing his music performed by Elton John took it to a different level.

Another guy people unreasonably dismiss nowadays for some reason is Elton. He's put out a lot of junk, but he has five of the best piano rock albums ever (Tumbleweed Connection, Madman, Honky Chateau, Yellowbrick Road, Capt Fantastic).

Have you heard any of the Bon Scott music that was pre AC/DC?

I would think that I have at some point, but can't remember it now.

I can send you some tracks. There is an album called Bon Scott the Early Years. It has cuts from when he was with The Valentines and a group called Fraternity. He eventually went with AC/DC to replace the singer before him which most people think Bon was the original singer. The first was Dave Evans

I can send you some tracks. There is an album called Bon Scott the Early Years. It has cuts from when he was with The Valentines and a group called Fraternity. He eventually went with AC/DC to replace the singer before him which most people think Bon was the original singer. The first was Dave Evans

Just looked it up and listened to a couple - interesting.

Agreed although not too far off. In fact to the untrained ear people do not know the difference.
I can remember seeing AC/DC with Angus on Bon Scott's shoulders walking right past me. Wow what a concert! Then I will have to say that seeing them a few years ago it was one of the best concerts I have seen in a long time. They put on a great show even being older than me!

You had to be there to remember that. Great post. Whole lotta Rosie

Yes, You have to love Rosie. She makes her appearance in the video below. You also need to check out the story that inspired the song.

I dunno, bro. Uptown Girl just came on the radio. If you're not singing along with those oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh's, you're just not interested in joy.

ACDC is amazing and it's a long way to the top is one of my all time favorites. There's plenty of room in my world for them and corny billy Joel songs.

I suppose even superlatively overrated and irritating artists can make a good song or two.

ACDC is amazing and it's a long way to the top is one of my all time favorites. There's plenty of room in my world for them and corny billy Joel songs.
Yes, I suppose you are right. Just not too much room in my world. :cool:

Anyway, who doesn't like track number three on the "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" album?:eek::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

On the one hand, fuck me bc I follow someone on Twitter who would willingly go see Billy Joel in the flesh.

On the other hand, lol expecting the people who do go see Billy Joel to not be the kind of degenerate garbage who would play music using their cell phones.

kVqmi8M.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom