is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel? (2 Viewers)

is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel?

• no, he makes me want to kill innocent women and children

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • musicians make music and billy joel creates audible ebola, so i dismiss the question as meaningless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
This thread is hilarious!

I'm no Billy Joel fan but he had a couple of decent songs back in the day. Do you not rate him as a song writer at all?

I'm actually more of a Hip Hop fan, and while I think Weezy has skills he has put out a TON of trash. There is no doubt that Lil Wayne's worst songs are 10X worse than BJ's worst songs.

Since they both happen to have songs called "Piano Man", here is one comparison:

I seriously doubt anyone can actually make it through the whole thing lol

Even if you don't care for the song, it's at least listenable...

Ya I find this guy pretty irritating. ..... your right

billie-joe.jpg

I'm no Billy Joel fan but he had a couple of decent songs back in the day. Do you not rate him as a song writer at all?

rating in the negative imo.

I'm actually more of a Hip Hop fan, and while I think Weezy has skills he has put out a TON of trash. There is no doubt that Lil Wayne's worst songs are 10X worse than BJ's worst songs.

agreed that wayne's worst is probably worse than BJ's worst, but that's also because wayne actually tries new stuff and releases basically everything he records. it's a consequence of the different musical cultures of hip hop and pop piano garbage - if BJ released mixtapes i can't imagine the horror that would spew forth.

rating in the negative imo.

agreed that wayne's worst is probably worse than BJ's worst, but that's also because wayne actually tries new stuff and releases basically everything he records. it's a consequence of the different musical cultures of hip hop and pop piano garbage - if BJ released mixtapes i can't imagine the horror that would spew forth.

Billy Joel owns so much real estate in your head, and its awesome.

The entire 1980s was musical AIDS - Billy is no better or worse than any of his contemporaries IMO.

The entire 1980s was musical AIDS - Billy is no better or worse than any of his contemporaries IMO.

ben, i should give you a few days to think this through and let you retract, but i can't help myself. even limiting ourselves to "popular" "rock" music, some of the best music of all time was released in the 1980s, so see below and recognize immediately how completely and utterly wrong you are.

i could go on for a long, long, long, long time.

ben, i should give you a few days to think this through and let you retract, but i can't help myself. even limiting ourselves to "popular" "rock" music, some of the best music of all time was released in the 1980s, so see below and recognize immediately how completely and utterly wrong you are.

I have reviewed the arguments of counsel, and the district court's decision is upheld. The '80s was the worst.

To be fair, I may be the biggest music snob ever on the planet, and hate pretty much everything. I have no rational justification, other than "I don't like it!"

How has this not made it in the thread yet? If it has, apologies, too lazy to read it all

I have reviewed the arguments of counsel, and the district court's decision is upheld. The '80s was the worst.

To be fair, I may be the biggest music snob ever on the planet, and hate pretty much everything. I have no rational justification, other than "I don't like it!"

as far as popular rock music goes, the videos i posted above are about as varied and full of all types of awesome as possible. if you don't like the talking heads OR tom petty OR rush OR violent femmes OR GNR, then you should just stop listening to music or stop talking about it imo.

Is there any musician more irritating and overrated than Billy Joel? Yes!

Phil Collins

In the late 80's his schlock was on the radio so much it became reflex to change the station whenever I heard his voice. I'll sing along with Billy Joel songs, I wince and shudder when I hear any Phil Collins song.

Billy Joel owns so much real estate in your head, and its awesome.

I regret that I have only one like to give to this post.

Jack, I'm sure BJ thinks of you each month as he finishes his sold-out concert as "resident artist" at Carnegie Hall, to the tune of $1,000,000+ each month, and hops in his helicopter for the ride home to Long Island.
:cool:

And yeah, I like his music, except for the Russian album.

Jack, I'm sure BJ thinks of you each month as he finishes his sold-out concert as "resident artist" at Carnegie Hall, to the tune of $1,000,000+ each month, and hops in his helicopter for the ride home to Long Island.
:cool:

i should hope so. i haven't written him on the second tuesday of every month for the last 14 years describing my fantasies of his death so he can forget about my seething hatred.

just a bump because billy joel came up in conversation at BBotB and i just remembered this thread. a few people (i won't name names because it's obviously beyond shameful) actually tried to convince me that billy joel is not that bad based on the below track:

if you've ever listened to billy joel and thought, "he's alright, but i bet he'd be a lot better if he fronted a huey lewis and the news cover band" then the above track is just what you've been looking for. meanwhile, even his own organization couldn't stomach having to upload the entire thing and dropped it midway through, afraid of the inevitable human rights violations inherent in forcing the full track on any human ear.

i mean the video is awful, but if you close your eyes and listen to it its a good song. Thats all I was trying to say. Not all of his stuff is total garbage. Plus I sort of agree with Ben. A lot of music in the 80s was horrible (mostly early 80s). The Femmes are Awesome, and GnR was also great. But before GnR what rock and roll bands were any good (compared to rock in the 70s, and the alt/grunge movement in the 90s)? I mean I like old school REM, but honestly most of the stuff that got any airplay was drek. Air Supply, Journey, Phil Collins, Hall and Oates, the Village People for gods sake. If you are using Tom Petty as an example of the awesomeness of 80s music, well that's just wrong. Not that Petty is bad, mind you, but if he is the best the decade has to offer it was a pretty weak decade.

Irritating and overrated... I'll throw out nominees John Mellencamp, Kid Rock, Bon Jovi and Sublime.

I don't mind Billy Joel.

::ducks::

This thread made me think of this unreleased Weird Al parody, which seems to capture the disdain for Billy Joel when he was peaking in the early 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6T2B3Vhtzk

i get spam for continuing education credit stuff all day long and i have them set to go to my junk folder, so when i was looking through said junk this morning for something that may have slipped in by mistake, i had to do a double take when i saw this: Touro Law Center Presents Billy Joel and the Law

i get spam for continuing education credit stuff all day long and i have them set to go to my junk folder, so when i was looking through said junk this morning for something that may have slipped in by mistake, i had to do a double take when i saw this: Touro Law Center Presents Billy Joel and the Law

Of course there is a wine and cheese reception (you can be dead certain Piano Man will be background music), and a presentation by an asst. prof from University of Kentucky. Who could resist?

But before GnR what rock and roll bands were any good (compared to rock in the 70s, and the alt/grunge movement in the 90s)?

as chaos mentioned above, maiden was around, but i would separate the metal scene from this discussion and metal, along with art rock, hardcore, and post-punk is definitely where the most interesting rock music was happening in the 80s. but even limiting ourselves to popular rock music (not getting into the aforementioned subgenres), i would include:

zz top. eliminator is the only good album they released in the 80s, but it is a fantastic album even if somehow reviled by music snobs.
ac/dc. back in black. for those about to rock. it's not bon scott, but it definitely rocks.
springsteen. the river is amazing and born in the usa is a great record. if not for the era-specific production on usa, it would be a stone cold classic.
U2. bono is about as insufferable as a human being can get and a lot of the later stuff is horrid, but up through joshua tree they were amazing.
the police. okay sting might be as insufferable as bono. but still, even if you only listen to stewart copeland, those records are fantastic.
van halen. yes, their debut is their best album, but women and children, fair warning, and 1984 are all fantastic. fuck van hagar, though.
aerosmith. personally i don't like anything they released after rocks, but many do and they're a fair inclusion imo.

if we actually did include subgenres, this list would go on forever. hardcore and metal were exploding and the best bands of both genres were releasing all their best stuff in the early 80s.

If you are using Tom Petty as an example of the awesomeness of 80s music, well that's just wrong. Not that Petty is bad, mind you, but if he is the best the decade has to offer it was a pretty weak decade.

petty's best music came out in the 70s and 90s and he was still among the top five rock artists working in the 80s. there's a reason he was chosen by bob dylan, george harrison, roy orbison, and jeff lynne to accompany them in the traveling wilburys.

zz top. eliminator is the only good album they released in the 80s, but it is a fantastic album even if somehow reviled by music snobs.
ac/dc. back in black. for those about to rock. it's not bon scott, but it definitely rocks.
springsteen. the river is amazing and born in the usa is a great record. if not for the era-specific production on usa, it would be a stone cold classic.
U2. bono is about as insufferable as a human being can get and a lot of the later stuff is horrid, but up through joshua tree they were amazing.
the police. okay sting might be as insufferable as bono. but still, even if you only listen to stewart copeland, those records are fantastic.
van halen. yes, their debut is their best album, but women and children, fair warning, and 1984 are all fantastic. fuck van hagar, though.
aerosmith. personally i don't like anything they released after rocks, but many do and they're a fair inclusion imo.

if we actually did include subgenres, this list would go on forever. hardcore and metal were exploding and the best bands of both genres were releasing all their best stuff in the early 80s.

Yes, yes, yes!!

I would also include Dire Straits, The Cure, Queen, Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc...

Yes, yes, yes!!

I would also include Dire Straits, The Cure, Queen, Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc...

definitely should have had dire straits in there. love knopfler. sonic youth i would remove as art rock or post-punk.

definitely should have had dire straits in there. love knopfler. sonic youth i would remove as art rock or post-punk.

Fair enough! :)

Now, one of my favorite bands of the 80's (together with Talking Heads) I'm sure would be in a lot of people's list of most annoying bands... I love them though: B-52's... Okay, grill me now! ;)

Last edited:
U2 is great, and the Police were pretty good too. Every Breath You Take is one of my favorite songs of all time. But for Every U2 or The Police, I'll raise you a Billy Ocean, Captain and Tenille, KC and the Sunshine Band, Eddie Rabbitt, KC and the Sunshine Band, REO Sppedwagon, etc. These are some of the bands that dominated the Hot 100 list in the early 80s.

....U2. bono is about as insufferable as a human being can get and a lot of the later stuff is horrid, but up through joshua tree they were amazing....

Oh, come on, man! Rattle and Hum, both the recording and the movie were terrific.

Only movie I ever played hooky from work so that I could be in the theater for the first show on opening day.

If you don't appreciate "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" done with that choir in Harlem, you don't like music.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

U2 is great, and the Police were pretty good too. Every Breath You Take is one of my favorite songs of all time. But for Every U2 or The Police, I'll raise you a Billy Ocean, Captain and Tenille, KC and the Sunshine Band, Eddie Rabbitt, KC and the Sunshine Band, REO Sppedwagon, etc. These are some of the bands that dominated the Hot 100 list in the early 80s.

REO is still touring. They are, IMO, beyond suck. They give old age a bad name.

Reactions: BNM
Oh, come on, man! Rattle and Hum, both the recording and the movie were terrific.

Only movie I ever played hooky from work so that I could be in the theater for the first show on opening day.

If you don't appreciate "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" done with that choir in Harlem, you don't like music.

rattle and hum is great. i just always thought of it as of a piece with joshua tree and that was where they ended for me.

i never followed them closely enough to know their b-sides, so years later when i heard the sweetest thing i thought, "okay, now this is some new U2 i can get behind." then, of course, i looked and it's from the joshua tree sessions.

Is there any musician more irritating and overrated than Billy Joel? Yes!

Phil Collins

In the late 80's his schlock was on the radio so much it became reflex to change the station whenever I heard his voice. I'll sing along with Billy Joel songs, I wince and shudder when I hear any Phil Collins song.

I guess you are not a Patrick Bateman Fan?

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

The best, and biggest talent throughout the 80's was Prince...end of discussion! Love him or hate him, he has more talent in his pinky than the majority of this list combined.

rattle and hum is great. i just always thought of it as of a piece with joshua tree and that was where they ended for me.

i never followed them closely enough to know their b-sides, so years later when i heard the sweetest thing i thought, "okay, now this is some new U2 i can get behind." then, of course, i looked and it's from the joshua tree sessions.

I actually liked Auchtung Baby. But yeah they peaked at Joshua Tree. The Unforgettable Fire has some good tracks as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom