Is STAR WARS the most overrated franchise? (1 Viewer)

What's the most overrated movie franchise ever?

• Star Wars

• Rocky

• Fast & Furious

• Marvel (MCU)

• Harry Potter

• Star Trek

• Jurassic Park

• Bat Man

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheRealTeddyKGB

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I was 7yrs old when Star Wars was came out & it rocked my world. 3 years later it just got better with the release of Empire. Then when I was 13 Return of the Jedi came out & I have to admit it was a little bit of a let down. Was I just getting older or were the movies just declining?

The Prequel trilogy was alright but that final trilogy was a dumpster fire as far as I'm concerned.

So although Star Wars impacted me moAr than any other movie in my life, it made me think: what movie franchise is the most overrated as a whole?

The new Triology (Episode 7-9) was hot garbage, as was Solo.

On the flip side, they knocked it out of the park with Rogue One and the Andor series. I'd say those two are far and away my favourites outside of the original trilogy. Of the recent stuff, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the Mandalorian have been pretty good too imo.

I think any franchise that runs long enough is bound to have its fair share of hits and misses - Bond, Star Trek, even Marvel recently have all had their fair share of WTF movies.

It's not on the list, but if I had to pick an overrated franchise, it'd have to be DC's attempt to create something similar to Marvel's success.

This is tough because to be overrated it has to be highly rated/hyped in the first place, and I would argue that most of these aren't really considered that great. Star Wars as a whole is a lot better than other things on this list, but is one of the only ones that gets best-franchise-of-all-time treatment, and it doesn't live up to the hype for me.

007 at least had some “closure” to the franchise. Star Wars had some peaks and valleys for sure. Batman admittedly everyone keeps wanting to reboot and tell the same gd story again in their own way. But some of them were really well done (Dark Knight Rises, Joker).

I picked Fast and Furious because after the original (had the most memorable/iconic characters, lines, and cars) it’s only been sliding down a seemingly endless slope of derivative garbage. Hell even Ice Age gave up after however many clones of the same storyline.

I don’t know that the first three (4,5,6) could possibly be overrated.
I’ve seen all nine. I feel pretty strongly that everything in the Star Wars universe aside from those first three movies is geek fodder. But I’m a guy who really likes most of the Star Trek series. So

I don’t know that the first three (4,5,6) could possibly be overrated.
I’ve seen all nine. I feel pretty strongly that everything in the Star Wars universe aside from those first three movies is geek fodder. But I’m a guy who really likes most of the Star Trek series. So

The originals are still the best imo and some of them are older than me. The new movies are just money grabs with minimal novel storytelling that did admittedly spawn Star Wars land at Disneyland and that absurdly good Rise of the Resistance ride o_O

Jack Detroit
05E91A10-A16C-4F56-97A1-B8087C5D8419.gif

The originals are still the best imo and some of them are older than me. The new movies are just money grabs with minimal novel storytelling that did admittedly spawn Star Wars land at Disneyland and that absurdly good Rise of the Resistance ride o_O
I grew up with the original movies like @TheRealTeddyKGB - they were such a huge presence in my generation's childhood. Despite my disinterest in the newer stuff, I have to say that there are plenty of people from my generation who love all the new stuff too - mandalorian and everything else. So I won't say it's overrated; it seems pretty beloved. But I really hate that Disney bought it. Star Wars was not a Disney product for most of my life. My brain just doesn't accept it as being a Disney thing. It's weird. Same thing with Marvel.

To the title of the thread:

DarthVader.gif

"Star Wars" gave us arguably one of the best movie villians of all time. From the music to the one liners to the characters, the cultural references from the original three endure the test of time.

I think if anything, the prequels gave us "Star Wars" fatigure. I mean, how many times must a rebel force come together to take out some Death Star-like threat with a single vulnerability? Hasn't the Empire learned its lessson yet?

Now, "Fast & Furious"? Yes. Do away with it already. Same with "The Terminator" series, which was worn out.

I’d say they’re all pretty much overrated. It’s gotten worse these last 5-10 years though (me getting older is completely unrelated btw). It’s obvious that film makers don’t care anymore, just CGI the shit out of everything and profit.

95% of all Marvel films after the first Avengers suck.

Avatar 2, highest grossing film ever. How? That’s your big vision you’ve been perfecting for 10+ years, James Cameron?? It’s mind numbingly boring and completely unnecessary. Already the first one was (Dances with wolves rip off) but come on, this is an insult.

Might as well post this one myself, I guess:

FFA8A838-BF76-4207-A53E-3EEA82264E72.jpeg

To the title of the thread:

View attachment 1112714

"Star Wars" gave us arguably one of the best movie villians of all time. From the music to the one liners to the characters, the cultural references from the original three endure the test of time.

I think if anything, the prequels gave us "Star Wars" fatigure. I mean, how many times must a rebel force come together to take out some Death Star-like threat with a single vulnerability? Hasn't the Empire learned its lessson yet?

Now, "Fast & Furious"? Yes. Do away with it already. Same with "The Terminator" series, which was worn out.
As far as I’m concerned, there were two Terminator movies and nothing anyone says can change my mind.

Along the same thread, Indiana Jones was a trilogy and anything that came afterwards (or is still coming) is pure abomination.

... even Marvel recently have all had their fair share of WTF movies.

It's not on the list, but if I had to pick an overrated franchise, it'd have to be DC's attempt to create something similar to Marvel's success.
As a kid who grew up collecting comics, I can't really get into the MCU like I want. I get creative license for movie purposes, but what they've done with some of the characters for on-screen purposes blows when compared to what the characters are capable of in the comics.

Also, I will never, ever forgive 20th Century Fox for what they did to the X-Men. Cyclops is a total bad ass in the comics, but they made him seem insignifcant in the movies before killing him off. Storm is a friggin Omega Level mutant in the comics, like at the top of the mutant food chain when it comes to power, yet they made her seem so weak in the movies. Same with Iceman. Lastly, Rogue is also a total bad ass in the comics. I mean, she absorbed Ms. Marvel's powers, but all she did in the movies was scream in fright. Really? The Rogue in the comics would kick some serious butt.

Would love to see Marvel do something with the Silver Surfer and do him justice as the herald of Galactus That Fantastic Four movie with him in it was total garbage.

Dare I say of all the comic characters turned into movies, the only one they got right is Deadpool.

OK, I'm a nerd. I admit it.

I could be right there with you on Star Wars being the same age. My 2nd choice would be Star Trek (and my first name is Kirk!). Nothing too notable since 2 & 3. My 3rd choice would be Batman. Collector of the original Frank Miller Dark Knight (still have 'em). Too much hype except the Nolan movies. On the brighter side - the John Wick franchise has been a pleasant under-rated surprise. :)

1680659824794.jpeg

No comment on Star Wars, but
Without Star Wars, there would be no The Mandalorian.

Star Wars, The original three, is epic. The second three and third trilogy were not as good, but the true fan had to see them. Overrated, I don't care about the hype. I was there in 77, so I wasn't going anywhere when the new movie came out. Empire was the best one

The Marvel Movies were good when they were modest setup movies focusing on one or two characters and then a big expensive crossover to pay it off. Now every movie has to be a big epic blockbuster. At least before when a one-off was mediocre, it still had payoff later.

Interesting timing as I just watched a star wars documentary, and that inspired me to watch the first 3 again, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Obviously the prequels and later trilogies aren't as good, but I enjoyed bits of them.

I really, REALLY enjoyed Andor, I enjoyed Solo, just to be able to see Han and Chewie meet.

That remains the absolute coolest thing I've ever done at theme park. Went twice on two different trips, separated by 2-3 years. Knew what to expect the second time through and was still blown away.

Also, the Obi Wan series started slow (A carnivorous camel as a means of transport? Before it was domesticated, how did it catch it's prey?), but was surprisingly good, IMO.

Really Glad Fast & Furious is leading this pole but damn I thought Star Wars might be higher than it is. Not to mention Rocky who's last good one was Rocky 3

I just saw on Facebook that they announced a new Star Wars trilogy including at least Rey. Yawn
I like Ridley and Rey is fine I guess (because of the actor - definitely not due to the story/writing), but just move on from that abomination of a continuation. A whole galaxy and they can barely muster a unique story with a new time period, characters, or location. We are at the point now where there are more bad Star Wars movies than good. Truly a shame.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom