Is it normal for Kem Cards to cup like this? (1 Viewer)

I didn’t mean it like that…I just meant it’s an unfortunate issue that some choose to accept and some can’t stand.
I love the cards, so I accept the extra steps that may help prevent the issue.
What kind of extra steps? Genuine question. And also, with bowed cards, is there any hope of getting them back to flat?

Out of all the different kinds of cards I play with, Kem Cards are the only brand of cards I see with this cupping. These decks are only a month old. Is this normal for Kem or am I shuffling to hard?

I normally do three riffles, box, one final riffle, and then a cut. I always thought that was a normal shuffle. I read a study by UNLV that said a rule-of-thumb is that it takes seven riffles to get a 52-card deck random. What do you guys do?

View attachment 1151713

@VMR911 @surfik @Pippa @NotRealNameNoSir @KHarp1
Yeah @Bacon Dad - this is why KEMs are pretty controversial. Me personally? They're one of my favorite cards for feel and look. I just followed these people's recommendations in dealing with the cupping/bowing...

SEE TIPS HERE
Screenshot_20230616_201528_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230616_201635_Chrome.jpg

Enjoy
- V

Last edited:
"Us" who is us? Who are you apart of lol? You're taking this personally, no one is reaching out to you, youre the new contrarian, we get it, super cool lol. KEMs warp and ruin themselves, but no one is assaulting some group of KEM lovers. We dont care, we just like cards.
I mean literally zero people have doubted your experience. Zero! Almost everyone has confirmed what you say about Kems, in fact.

You stuffed your own rag doll and look for every opportunity to get mad at it, blame us for imposing it on you.

What kind of extra steps? Genuine question. And also, with bowed cards, is there any hope of getting them back to flat?
Things like not leaving them out on the table, storing them with something on top of each deck, keeping away from humidity or extreme temps, etc.
This is no means a guarantee, but it may help prevent the bow. As far as I am aware, a bowed deck will stay that way.
I have an old setup from the 1960s, and if you leave the deck on the table, within 10 minutes or so, the top card will start to curl. If shuffled back in the deck, it’s fine after a while. It’s a strange phenomenon.

Things like not leaving them out on the table, storing them with something on top of each deck, keeping away from humidity or extreme temps, etc.
This is no means a guarantee, but it may help prevent the bow. As far as I am aware, a bowed deck will stay that way.
I have an old setup from the 1960s, and if you leave the deck on the table, within 10 minutes or so, the top card will start to curl. If shuffled back in the deck, it’s fine after a while. It’s a strange phenomenon.
10 minutes of leaving on a table?! What?! Ive had hands take longer than that!! This is insane!

"Us" who is us? Who are you apart of lol?

Dude, right here in the first couple replies to this very thread:

People act like its a toxic relationship and I should just deal with it instead of finding another brand lol.

You are so worked up that you don't know where you are. Nobody is doing anything to you holy shit. Don't use Kems, it's fine. We support you.

Dude, right here in the first couple replies to this very thread:

You are so worked up that you don't know where you are. Nobody is doing anything to you holy shit. Don't use Kems, it's fine. We support you.
Again, you back up to 'we'; who is we?

Kems do have quality issues so they aren’t the best cards if you are looking for something to last for years on end.

That said, out of the 20+ setups I have, I tend to always gravitate towards Kems on the seldom occasion that I have a game simply for nostalgic, stylistic, and feel purposes.

People can use what makes them happy and it's their money. But I can't understand loving the "feel" of them so much that you will put up with piss poor quality control, subpar materials, and/or a mixture of these, with overcharging and having to deal with maintenance after buying. Sorry, but they are a waste of money; mine prefers to go to cards that last. To me Kem is a joke and to stay a Kem customer is being a sucker.

Why doesn’t somebody 3dprint a card sized weight?
Like a card sized flat thing you can add some weight to and then put it on the Kems in their box?
Or damn, 3d print a box specifically designed to keep kems flat.
Or an insert to take up the extra space in the Kem box forcing them to lay flat

Or start another thread bitching about Kems.

I mean if you think they suck just quit using them. Or fix the damn problem instead of complaining

Why doesn’t somebody 3dprint a card sized weight?
Like a card sized flat thing you can add some weight to and then put it on the Kems in their box?
Or damn, 3d print a box specifically designed to keep kems flat.
Or an insert to take up the extra space in the Kem box forcing them to lay flat

Or start another thread bitching about Kems.

I mean if you think they suck just quit using them. Or fix the damn problem instead of complaining
Getting upset at a bad product makes sense to me.

Getting upset at someone complaining about a bad product does not make sense to me.

You don't have to post. You can just ignore the thread it and it costs you nothing. It's different if it's a poorly moderated forum that is full of the same spam over and over, but this is not that place. No need to get worked up.

Try to store them beetwen books...
I had 2 sets of warped Kem and it helps to prevent this sort of things...

Getting upset at a bad product makes sense to me.

Getting upset at someone complaining about a bad product does not make sense to me.

You don't have to post. You can just ignore the thread it and it costs you nothing. It's different if it's a poorly moderated forum that is full of the same spam over and over, but this is not that place. No need to get worked up.

I’m not mad at anybody or anything. Not the tad bit upset. Just don’t know why people don’t fix these things and quit complaining about them. There are literally dozens of threads about Kem problems. Read a few of them.

Its like people buy them just to bitch about them on PCF or something. We get it, Kems are problems. This should be one of the sticky’s they post and require you to read when you join.

Honestly the first post should have just said “Yes” and then his question was answered.
He didn’t ask what to do.

Instead we have to have to repeated argument over what cards are best and the Kem rituals - that once again should be posted as a sticky.

A guy here once told me that “you don’t have to reply. If you don’t like what I said you can scroll on by”. I wonder if you’ve read that before?

I’m not mad at anybody or anything. Not the tad bit upset. Just don’t know why people don’t fix these things and quit complaining about them. There are literally dozens of threads about Kem problems. Read a few of them.

Its like people buy them just to bitch about them on PCF or something. We get it, Kems are problems. This should be one of the sticky’s they post and require you to read when you join.

Honestly the first post should have just said “Yes” and then his question was answered.
He didn’t ask what to do.

Instead we have to have to repeated argument over what cards are best and the Kem rituals - that once again should be posted as a sticky.

A guy here once told me that “you don’t have to reply. If you don’t like what I said you can scroll on by”. I wonder if you’ve read that before?
For one thing, the only way you fix a problem is by forcing the issue. The more of this stuff that comes up on a Google search or review, the better.

Fair point on the sticky. But there ISN'T one, so.

For one thing, the only way you fix a problem is by forcing the issue. The more of this stuff that comes up on a Google search or review, the better.

Fair point on the sticky. But there ISN'T one, so.

Then it should be GREAT if we start a Kem bitching thread every day!!! How many threads does it take to typically fix a problem?

Does just starting the treads eventually do it or does somebody have to actually do
Something?

We should just start multiple threads about everything that’s wrong with the country and then it would get fixed when we have enough threads?

Yes, there’s no sticky. So you you have to put up with this. Start some threads about this and I bet it will go away once we have enough.

Then it should be GREAT if we start a Kem bitching thread every day!!! How many threads does it take to typically fix a problem?

Does just starting the treads eventually do it or does somebody have to actually do
Something?

We should just start multiple threads about everything that’s wrong with the country and then it would get fixed when we have enough threads?

Yes, there’s no sticky. So you you have to put up with this. Start some threads about this and I bet it will go away once we have enough.
I just don't understand putting so much angst into this. ‍♂

A lot of people don't even know there are previous threads. It's whatever, nothing bad comes of it, and there has been some decent discussion here.

I just don't understand putting so much angst into this. ‍♂

A lot of people don't even know there are previous threads. It's whatever, nothing bad comes of it, and there has been some decent discussion here.

I know, it’s almost as much angst as they put into their cards not being perfect forever. It’s a complaint thread. Now you are complaining about complaints in a complaint thread. PCF classic.

I know, it’s almost as much angst as they put into their cards not being perfect forever. It’s a complaint thread. Now you are complaining about complaints in a complaint thread. PCF classic.
"cards not being perfect forever?"

Lol, wow. You must not be paying attention. The issues, which are constant, tend to happen extremely early on in ownership, sometimes ARRIVING that way (I happen to be in this camp, too). And it's the only brand that appesrs to have this issue. So your angst appears to originate from being a "simp" (as the kids call it these days) for Kem to me.

So, to recap:

1. You complain about complaining without even understanding what the complaints are about.

2. You then flip it back around to make it sound like the person who points out the silliness behind your comment is the "complainer" when he was just chiming in on the veracity of the people having discussion in the thread.

"PCF classic?" No, you just can't seem to handle the criticism coming back around to you.

You complain that there are too many threads about people being unhappy about Kem yet you clearly illustrated that you missed the entire reason why. Fascinating. Too bad you didn't actually read any of the complaints so you would understand what their issues were.

Last edited:
No you're right Ragah, he is definitely the mad one in this exchange.

"cards not being perfect forever?"

Lol, wow. You must not be paying attention. The issues, which are constant, tend to happen extremely early on in ownership, sometimes ARRIVING that way (I happen to be in this camp, too). And it's the only brand that appesrs to have this issue. So your angst appears to originate from being a "simp" (as the kids call it these days) for Kem to me.

So, to recap:

1. You complain about complaining without even understanding what the complaints are about.

2. You then flip it back around to make it sound like the person who points out the silliness behind your comment is the "complainer" when he was just chiming in on the veracity of the people having discussion in the thread.

"PCF classic?" No, you just can't seem to handle the criticism coming back around to you.

You complain that there are too many threads about people being unhappy about Kem yet you clearly illustrated that you missed the entire reason why. Fascinating. Too bad you didn't actually read any of the complaints so you would understand what their issues were.

WTF? Who is suffering angst?

When I joined I automatically got a feature called the “search icon”.
I don’t know if you have to have a bunch of post nowadays to get it or what, but you should definitely check it out.
It lets you search for previous threads like this one as well as information on how to deal with it.
It opens up all the information on PCF for you to peruse and find similar issues to whatever you want.

This bowing and cupping is a known issue.

This is a known issue with lots of discussion about it already.

I think this is worth repeating to you

This is a known issue.

It’s well documented in at least three other threads that contain exactly the same information from basically the same posters on their KEM card experiences. It still happens even though we have multiple threads on it.
Your answer is to have more threads.
My answer is to fix it so it’s not a problem anymore.
You do you man.

WTF? Who is suffering angst?

When I joined I automatically got a feature called the “search icon”.
I don’t know if you have to have a bunch of post nowadays to get it or what, but you should definitely check it out.
It lets you search for previous threads like this one as well as information on how to deal with it.
It opens up all the information on PCF for you to peruse and find similar issues to whatever you want.

This bowing and cupping is a known issue.

This is a known issue with lots of discussion about it already.

I think this is worth repeating to you

This is a known issue.

It’s well documented in at least three other threads that contain exactly the same information from basically the same posters on their KEM card experiences. It still happens even though we have multiple threads on it.
Your answer is to have more threads.
My answer is to fix it so it’s not a problem anymore.
You do you man.
It's a known issue, yet you completely mischaracterized that issue to make people who don't like Kem look bad, in a near-tantrum level post simply because a thread was posted about it, when you could have just ignored the thread.

Why is that?

Meanwhile, I never argued that there shouldn't be a sticky regarding the subject, just pointed out that there is not and therefore this stuff just naturally happens. I never said we should have more threads.

You seem to have difficulty with reading what people are actually saying. You should familiarize yourself with the strawman fallacy.

Last edited:
Look, if members here are going to buy equipment without doing their research on possible known issues with that equipment then that’s in them. There’s tons of info here and on other sites as well about these cards.

“Expensive” doesn’t always automatically mean superior product.
Perhaps people like Kems because of their stiffness and don’t care about bowing. Then they should buy Kems out the wazoo. Great for them.

If bowing and cupping bother you then maybe you should use the information that is available here and other places to find cards that don’t bow. Don’t buy kems because you will eventually be unhappy.

If other criteria is important to you then do research to find out what kind of cards fit that criteria.

But don’t go blindly buying shit on assumptions and then go around asking why they don’t work like you assumed they would. There’s no reason for that other than laziness.

Look, if members here are going to buy equipment without doing their research on possible known issues with that equipment then that’s in them. There’s tons of info here and on other sites as well about these cards.

“Expensive” doesn’t always automatically mean superior product.
Perhaps people like Kems because of their stiffness and don’t care about bowing. Then they should buy Kems out the wazoo. Great for them.

If bowing and cupping bother you then maybe you should use the information that is available here and other places to find cards that don’t bow. Don’t buy kems because you will eventually be unhappy.

If other criteria is important to you then do research to find out what kind of cards fit that criteria.

But don’t go blindly buying shit on assumptions and then go around asking why they don’t work like you assumed they would. There’s no reason for that other than laziness.
A strawman argument is also what I would classify as lazy. Why would you acknowledge the issue yet completely twist it around?

Next time don't mischaracterize the argument and then try to claim intellectual superiority. ‍

A strawman argument is also what I would classify as lazy. Why would you acknowledge the issue yet completely twist it around?

Next time don't mischaracterize the argument and then try to claim intellectual superiority. ‍

Lol I don’t even know nor care what you’re talking about. I’m sure whatever it is makes you feel better so that’s good.

If you think I’m saying that people that buy high dollar shit without checking out the reliability of it are dumb and stupid and probably pretty lazy then that’s cool, I wouldn’t want that to get mischaracterized.

Lol sure. If you’ll notice the only contention is from a couple people that didn’t have to come into this at all, they simply jumped in to argue a vague point and continued to mischaracterize the whole post to assert their baseless argument.

But to answer your question, yes this is normal. It’s a known issue with these cards and most people know this when they buy them due to research they have done to determine if it’s a satisfactory product or not.

If you are one of those people that like to do things by trial and error that great too, I’m sure it leads to interesting products with quirky features.
But know that you are taking chances, and if you encounter problems then it’s likely that others have encountered this too and documented their finding and panaceas and that information most likely is contained here on PCF where a simple search for “known Kem issues” or “Kem bowing” probably would have remediated your intentionally created problem with information that might help you.

I’d still encourage you to do this search and see what information you could get from it. I’d also suggest you do this search before you buy products like these. You obviously are looking for good stuff, why not use the information other people have already compiled for you?

Lol I don’t even know nor care what you’re talking about. I’m sure whatever it is makes you feel better so that’s good.

If you think I’m saying that people that buy high dollar shit without checking out the reliability of it are dumb and stupid and probably pretty lazy then that’s cool, I wouldn’t want that to get mischaracterized.
I'll repeat it one more time and after that I won't bother because if you don't acknowledge it I'll just assume you are ignoring it purposely.

You admitted there is an issue. Yet you characterized people's argument as people being upset that the cards "aren't perfect forever." This is a strawman; the issue is that the cards tend to have the issue after a very short amount of time or even WHEN THEY ARRIVE. Your assertion was obviously 100% false.

I'm not sure why you keep deflecting this, and what's weirder is your defense is a deflection that actually contradicts the mischaracterization you made.

Bizarre.

Yet you characterized people's argument as people being upset that the cards "aren't perfect forever." This is a strawman; the issue is that the cards tend to have the issue after a very short amount of time or even WHEN THEY ARRIVE.

Umm yeah, that means they aren’t perfect forever. You really should work on your reading comprehension or even get your attendant to explain it to you.

There’s tons of these out there that don’t bow.
Some bow after a short period of time
Some bow after a longer period of time.
Some bow after an even longer period of time than the previous longer period of time.

Other people experience this to a degree that they have complained about it, some of them experienced it right away when opening the cards and some of them experienced it after a longer period. (Note that neither of these time frames are forever, or even remotely close to it).
These people have thoughtfully documented their experiences and remedies and I’m pretty sure all this information is available to every PCF member in good standing. They did this so that others would be informed when making purchases or acquiring these in other manners.

If you don’t take the time and effort to review these past experiences - because you are ignorant of them, or lazy, or choose to disregard them cause you are special, then you deserve these kinds of threads.

Apparently threads like these are the only way to solve these problems. Heck, It’s even been suggested that we go to Google and involve the rest of the internet on this burning topic and get a better opinion on whether these cards bow or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom