Input on purchasing a chainsaw (1 Viewer)

Mojo1312

Full House
Reaction score
Woke up to a downed apple tree earlier this week. Need to take down two more apple tress that are more dead than alive. What brand of chainsaw should I place on my shortlist?

1694375127585.png

1694375179398.png

I am a complete novice.

I looked at Ego, but I question whether the technology is there. Not much of a warranty and they are heavier than their gas counterparts.
Don't know why, but I am not really impressed with Echo. On the same note, last year while I was in the hardware store picking up a part for my lawnmower I overheard someone tell his friend that STHL had cheapened the guts of their chainsaws.

A friend of mine recommended Oregon. Never heard of them and there is no dealer around here, but I am not opposed to taking a road trip to pick one up.
Dewalt, any good? Again, no local dealer, so I would need to take a road trip.

Husqvarna? Thoughts?

I could also use a chainsaw to take down poplar trees on another lot I own.

I have owned 5 chainsaws over the years. The first 2 are long gone. The 3rd is a Stihl and I have bought 2 more Stihl's since. All 3 are still working great.

The latest one is a battery powered one and I really like it a lot for anything about the size of your Apple tree or slightly bigger. It's quiet, lightweight and super easy to use as all you do is pull the trigger and it's going. No starting and stopping like a gas one.

Looks like a small job. I’d just get an echo from Home Depot and call it a day. You’re not going to be starting a tree felling business. Don’t forget the chain lube. You tube is your friend for tightening chains and what not.

I'd go electric, unless you it's going to be a primary tool that you use weekly. Electric chainsaws work great for DiYers and folks that need them a couple of times a year.
I agree. For small jobs, theyre great and inexpensive.

A while back had a small dogwood to remove and I stopped at Harbor Freight, of all places. I generally steer way clear of that place, but they have a 14.5 amp electric that costs just a bit over renting a gas one for the day. I figured if I get this 1 job done, everything else is free.
It surprisingly chews through limbs quickly for a very inexpensive tool. And 14.5 amps is pretty powerful in this price range.

https://www.harborfreight.com/145-amp-16-in-electric-chainsaw-57622.html

I love my Ego. I don't use it a lot but it works great when I need it. I have transitioned all my yard tools to Ego so I have multiple batteries which helps out for the bigger jobs. If you just need it every now and then, it is IMO the way to go.

Stihl is the best in the business but if thats the only thing you ever cut up just find you one on marketplace.

Agree with all who said Stihl if you’re going to use regularly but if not, and you have any of the modern battery systems, I’d give them a look.

Ex: I’m a Dewalt 20V max guy and their chainsaw is large enough for something like this, is going to start with zero effort down the line when you have another need, etc. Chain saws can be a pain in the ass if you only run it 1x/yr etc.

I'd get an axe. Much cheaper and it has multiple functions.

Stihl. Buy once, its a lifetime purchase. Been using the same one for over 20 years and never fails to start on first couple of pulls. Minimal maintenance.

Stihl. Buy once, its a lifetime purchase. Been using the same one for over 20 years and never fails to start on first couple of pulls. Minimal maintenance.
Don’t worry about sharpening chains either, new ones are like 3 for $25 anymore. Almost in the disposable razor realm when you consider your time sharpening and it’s never as good as new anyway.

I have an Ego weedwhacker which I love, but Stihl chainsaw has been running for 5 years with very little maintenance and no sign of slowing. Reliable, few times a year it takes a week's worth of heavy usage and it does fine.

Don't mean to pile on, just another vote from someone who has both. You're almost definitely fine going Ego as well if you'd rather go electronic, I trust their products.

STIHL and no other. you can get a smll 14" saw that will be great for what you want to do. Electric is a good option if only need occasionally. Regardless of the saw, a sharp chain is a must. Keep it lubed.

Last edited:
I have limited experience. Electric worked fine for me. Having a sharp chain is key. My brother's gas powered one wasn't cutting. Literally burning the tree. Mom's little electric did the job because it was sharp. Be sure to have chain oil too. Good luck.

I have an Echo electric and it is awesome. Can’t recommend enough.

But a counter-intuitive approach from a buddy upstate: if just occasional use and mostly smaller trees like apple, get a cordless sawzall (whatever brand you prefer). Replacement blades are cheap and it makes quick work of fruit trees and the like. And a LOT safer than a chainsaw.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Based on the responses in the thread, I am going to purchase an electric saw.

Woke up to a downed apple tree earlier this week. Need to take down two more apple tress that are more dead than alive. What brand of chainsaw should I place on my shortlist?

View attachment 1193344

View attachment 1193345

I am a complete novice.

I looked at Ego, but I question whether the technology is there. Not much of a warranty and they are heavier than their gas counterparts.
Don't know why, but I am not really impressed with Echo. On the same note, last year while I was in the hardware store picking up a part for my lawnmower I overheard someone tell his friend that STHL had cheapened the guts of their chainsaws.

A friend of mine recommended Oregon. Never heard of them and there is no dealer around here, but I am not opposed to taking a road trip to pick one up.
Dewalt, any good? Again, no local dealer, so I would need to take a road trip.

Husqvarna? Thoughts?

I could also use a chainsaw to take down poplar trees on another lot I own.

I have a forestry project on my land, and own both a gas Husqvarna and an EGO 18" saw. I almost never use the Husqvarna anymore, except sometimes on very green hardwood or very large trees.

The EGO is plenty powerful for the size of tree shown here. I’ve even used it to buck up a huge pine with a diameter much larger than 18".

It requires a lot less maintenance than my gas saw. There’s just many more components on a gas saw to break down/need adjusting/need cleaning. (I also have a Dewalt 16" electric chainsaw, but like the EGO better.) Get an extra battery if you’re doing a lot of work at once.

Last thought: As Gopher said above: For smaller limbs and trees, you often can get away with a reciprocating saw using a 12" blade. Safer and less hassle than chainsaws. I’ve used this on trees as big as the ones pictured. (It’s slower work than a chainsaw, obv.)

Last edited:
Woke up this morning to find my driveway littered with twigs and leaves from Hurricane Lee. The runoff from the rain had softened the soil around the apple tree on the downhill side of the garage. The stress from the weight of the main lower branch pulled the tree downwards till the ground acted as a brace.

Grabbed my trusty yellow handle handsaw and went to work. Climbed up the trunk and sawed off a couple of smaller interlocking branches above. Sawed off the limbs of the main branch and carried the 9-10 ft. trunk next door to my neighbor for him to use as firewood this winter.

Went to town to run a couple of errands and came home with this:

1694994743472.png

Woke up this morning to find my driveway littered with twigs and leaves from Hurricane Lee. The runoff from the rain had softened the soil around the apple tree on the downhill side of the garage. The stress from the weight of the main lower branch pulled the tree downwards till the ground acted as a brace.

Grabbed my trusty yellow handle handsaw and went to work. Climbed up the trunk and sawed off a couple of smaller interlocking branches above. Sawed off the limbs of the main branch and carried the 9-10 ft. trunk next door to my neighbor for him to use as firewood this winter.

Went to town to run a couple of errands and came home with this:

View attachment 1196677
We got spared pretty much all of it. I think we got 30mph winds and basically no rain.

Safety glasses and possibly chainsaw chaps/boots are a good investment with a chainsaw purchase although I don't know if an electric instead of gas powered one reduces the need for them.

Safety glasses and possibly chainsaw chaps/boots are a good investment with a chainsaw purchase although I don't know if an electric instead of gas powered one reduces the need for them.
Doesn't matter what is turning the chain... same dangers/safety precautions. :tup:

My understanding is that traditional chainsaw safety clothing is not as effective against electric chainsaws... But probably are better than nothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom