GB Completed Injection Molded Chips GB - 2021 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green on green is tough. Here's an example:
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 7.48.25 AM.png

I wonder if it has to do with the felt being green a lot of the time and chips 'getting lost'.

(With apologies for the derail)
America certainly uses both systems.
Soda is sold in 12 ounce cans, or in 1 liter and 2 lliter bottles.
Milk is sold by the quart, half quart, or gallon.
Liquor is sold in fifths (one fifth of a gallon) liter, and 1.75 liter bottles.
It’s bizarre.
I’m no runner but as far as I can tell, though marathons and half marathons are measured in miles, the other races 5K, 10K are not.
We could go on and on, but we probably shouldn’t, here. But I’d say that though most Americans understand imperial measurements best, I think our measurements are actually blended with metrics somewhat evenly.
Sorry if someone else already mentioned this (I'm behind) but marathons are fractional in both miles (26.2188) and kilometers (42.195) Runners use both units, depending on which they are more used to. My daughter is an accomplished runner so I've been to quite a few marathons. Both units are used all over the course. The official distance is 46,145 yards, or 26 miles 385 yards. This converts to just 12mm (about a half inch) less than 42,195 meters.

I hope I’m in the right place for a potential GB #2 I am down with the underground on the Abbiata

someone keep me posted :)

39mm stock value inner rings available are: 1, 5, 25, 100, and 500 written 4 times on the inner ring with no currency sign. No fracs, 2, or 20. :(

45mm stock value inner rings available: Only 10,000 and up. :(

Glitter: +€0.05 per chip
Holo: +€0.50 per chip, glossy labels only.
OVI: +€0.12 per chip + tooling of €175 per value.

These are neat.

2021-02-15_20-59-59.png

2021-02-15_21-01-11.png

39mm stock value inner rings available are: 1, 5, 25, 100, and 500 written 4 times on the inner ring with no currency sign. No fracs, 2, or 20. :(

45mm stock value inner rings available: Only 10,000 and up. :(

Glitter: +€0.05 per chip
Holo: +€0.50 per chip, glossy labels only.
OVI: +€0.12 per chip + tooling of €175 per value.

These are neat.

View attachment 637140
View attachment 637142
Thanks for the intel. What values do they have in the 43? Just what’s mentioned in their catalog?

The glitter- is that for a full glitter inlay or the glitter ring around a smaller inlay?

The glitter- is that for a full glitter inlay or the glitter ring around a smaller inlay?

Any amount. That is because the entire label is already glitter. They are just printing on top of it and don't print in the areas where you want to see the glitter.
I don't think the glitter ring is the way to go. It creates a double ring, and the label artwork will have to be smaller to allow for it on an already small diameter label.

What values do they have in the 43? Just what’s mentioned in their catalog?

Yeah.

could these end up being slippery due to a smaller outer ring?

I don't know. Only have two of them. Don't see much of a difference compared to two of any other chip. They are sending me more samples of chips that I don't have and chips with different label options. I'm curious about their 45mm Lucky 8 chips. Many options with those.

Well, I’m not out. I bought some samples of the crown plaza chips, mostly to confirm my suspicions that you were all full of poop about these abiattis not being slippery.
You’re not all full of poop.
These chips feel great. The slight texture on the labels is a nice plus. And they handle great. And they’re less slippery than any plastics I’ve handled. They’re also no more slippery than any ceramics that I can remember handling, including the 39mm hybrids. These are the first plastics I’ve handled that I’d like to own.
For me, it will come down to design and price. And the price will be a tough pill to swallow. But maybe I just need to recalibrate my thinking.
Bottom line - great chips.

Well, I’m not out. I bought some samples of the crown plaza chips, mostly to confirm my suspicions that you were all full of poop about these abiattis not being slippery.
You’re not all full of poop.
These chips feel great. The slight texture on the labels is a nice plus. And they handle great. And they’re less slippery than any plastics I’ve handled. They’re also no more slippery than any ceramics that I can remember handling, including the 39mm hybrids. These are the first plastics I’ve handled that I’d like to own.
For me, it will come down to design and price. And the price will be a tough pill to swallow. But maybe I just need to recalibrate my thinking.
Bottom line - great chips.

Well, I never thought I'd see the day.

I was digging through some files from last year. Assuming the prices are still the same.

All prices are in Euros.

2 color 39mm

1.49 base price
0.03 inner ring
0.05 full-color decal
1.69€ total ($2.04 at the current rate)

3 color 39mm
1.69 base price
0.03 inner ring
0.05 full-color decal
1.77€ total ($2.13 at the current rate)

3 color 43mm
1,95 base price
0,03 inner ring
0,05 full-color decal
2,03€ total ($2.45 at the current rate)

The above prices do not include any other GB costs; wood crate packing, shipping, artwork costs, decal tooling, inner ring tooling, bank fees that they charge, wire fees I pay, customs broker, and MPF to import.

The Crown Plaza chips (26,200 total - all 39mm 3 color chips except the 25c chip) ended up costing about $2.24 per chip after all the fees. I did contribute some extra towards the artwork costs, and the GB PPC ended up at $2.20.

This should help give you an idea of what the chips may end up costing. The more chips ordered will bring down the final PPC, and keep in mind that some fees like packing, shipping, and the broker/MPF go up a little. The easiest way to get the final PPC number is to add up everything paid out and divide that by the number of chips ordered. To complicate things more, since the USD to EUR rate changes daily, the final number isn't really known until the chips arrive at my door.

Also, that OVI option (color-shifting ink) for the labels is interesting. I have some sample chips with it coming to me soon. :unsure:

I was digging through some files from last year. Assuming the prices are still the same.

All prices are in Euros.

2 color 39mm

1.49 base price
0.03 inner ring
0.05 full-color decal
1.69€ total ($2.04 at the current rate)

3 color 39mm
1.69 base price
0.03 inner ring
0.05 full-color decal
1.77€ total ($2.13 at the current rate)

3 color 43mm
1,95 base price
0,03 inner ring
0,05 full-color decal
2,03€ total ($2.45 at the current rate)

The above prices do not include any other GB costs; wood crate packing, shipping, artwork costs, decal tooling, inner ring tooling, bank fees that they charge, wire fees I pay, customs broker, and MPF to import.

The Crown Plaza chips (26,200 total - all 39mm 3 color chips except the 25c chip) ended up costing about $2.24 per chip after all the fees. I did contribute some extra towards the artwork costs, and the GB PPC ended up at $2.20.

This should help give you an idea of what the chips may end up costing. The more chips ordered will bring down the final PPC, and keep in mind that some fees like packing, shipping, and the broker/MPF go up a little. The easiest way to get the final PPC number is to add up everything paid out and divide that by the number of chips ordered. To complicate things more, since the USD to EUR rate changes daily, the final number isn't really known until the chips arrive at my door.

Also, that OVI option (color-shifting ink) for the labels is interesting. I have some sample chips with it coming to me soon. :unsure:
appreciate the detailed write up.

for the benefit of the European chippers is there anyway to split the order in 2 for shipping purposes? Or to have some sort of piggy back order that contributes to the overall Totals? One for Europe and one for the Rest of the world? From what I hear from the European chippers if they can get their chips before they leave Europe it will save them heaps on customs duties as well as on freight.

If I was visiting family in Italy at the time I could literally drive to the factory in 30min and would happily reship everyones order to them but alas Im currently in Sydney Australia on the other side of the world. Might be the excuse I need to go "visit" my family again and ask my cousin can I store ~30K chips in his factory for a few days while I get everyones orders out to them.

Edit. For the benefit of all really as it will encourage more european chippers to join the GB, so the larger the overall order the lower the costs.

Last edited:

for the benefit of the European chippers is there anyway to split the order in 2 for shipping purposes? Or to have some sort of piggy back order that contributes to the overall Totals? One for Europe and one for the Rest of the world? From what I hear from the European chippers if they can get their chips before they leave Europe it will save them heaps on customs duties as well as on freight.

If I was visiting family in Italy at the time I could literally drive to the factory in 30min and would happily reship everyones order to them but alas Im currently in Sydney Australia on the other side of the world. Might be the excuse I need to go "visit" my family again and ask my cousin can I store ~30K chips in his factory for a few days while I get everyones orders out to them.
I'm also very interested to know whether this would be a possibility. If the chips needs to go to the US before they ship back to EU, adding import costs of 25%+ I think I'll have to pass on the GB

I'm also very interested to know whether this would be a possibility. If the chips needs to go to the US before they ship back to EU, adding import costs of 25%+ I think I'll have to pass on the GB
Even though it would save a LOT on shipping costs and import fees, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible to avoid VAT if chips stay in the EU.

Edit. For the benefit of all really as it will encourage more european chippers to join the GB, so the larger the overall order the lower the costs.

Same here!

Even though it would save a LOT on shipping costs and import fees, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible to avoid VAT if chips stay in the EU.

That's true, but like you said, still lots of money to be saved

I would like to be able to do that but unfortunately, this is not possible. They won't ship any order coming from my account to an address outside of the State of Delaware. This is due to their policies and local/international licensing.

Any update on the design , colors and size

It is coming along. We've been working on the 45mm Tourney set the last few days. Those are looking pretty good. Not there yet though.

We also briefly worked on the cash set but have put that on hold until I hear back from Abbiati on a couple of things that will help me decide which way to go with it.

It is coming along. We've been working on the 45mm Tourney set the last few days. Those are looking pretty good. Not there yet though.

We also briefly worked on the cash set but have put that on hold until I hear back from Abbiati on a couple of things that will help me decide which way to go with it.
45mm! wowsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom