Influx of new members (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like there is an uptick in new members recently. Yay!

I’m just curious what is driving that traffic.

Is PCF getting new exposure on some YouTube or social media channel? Or is there just a broad surge in people hosting home games, which is causing many to find this site?

If any of the recent arrivals care to chime in, please consider sharing what got you here…

I actually receive an email yesterday from Google with this. Didn't think much of it until I seen your thread.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 184916.png

From what I can tell, there are now roughly five times more members than when I joined in summer 2017. Every day, I am seeing a bunch of new member posts. I wonder what the retention rate is... For every 100 new members, how many keep checking the site and posting after (say) three months? It still feels like many posts are from those who were already here seven years ago, with notable exceptions.

Last edited:
Fairly new user here :)
Not new to poker or chips in general, yet after years, my interest (& research) into "clay" chips led me to this place...
I can say i like the forum very much (@Tommy ), gave me lot's of info, people are so far very helpful & i have made my first purchase thanks to the classifieds section recently (being in Belgium / Europe, that is a big thing :LOL: :laugh: ).
Poker itself is on an upswing at the moment, i see more social media (youtube, insta,...) & more live events popping up left and right, that might also bring some people in. I do feel that only people with a "big chip heart" will stay regulars :).

I honestly can't remember how I found the site to be honest. Probably youtube videos when I was trying to step up my hosting game.
So glad I found it, I've met so many great people here, some even in person.

Only regret I have is that short period of time I enabled the politics section. Yeesh. lol

For me (as a newer member), I got back into chipping because my neighborhood starting filling up with dads around the same age and as we started to hangout more, we realized poker nights were a good fit. A lot of us played in our younger days. That led me down the dark road of starting to chip hunt again, but I quickly realized all the shit on the common sites (amazon, marketplace, craigslist...etc.) is basically the same shit from 15 years ago, sometimes with new labels. So I ventured into the land of eBay having remembered it existed and there I found the beauts like Paulson's that are really appealing. It didn't take long after searching Paulsons for me to discover this "cult" (lol @BGinGA ). Maybe a slight uptick can be chalked up to people being sick of the same old shit and starting to do more research into more unique sets? Maybe the natural rotation of hobbies has brought a decent amount of people that were in on the early 2000's poker rise/hype back into the light? Maybe it's exponential growth exposure as people started to discover this site, became more of a frequent pop up on google searches?

I’ve seen posts on Facebook poker chip groups that are people finding their Granddaddy’s set and wanting to know how much it’s worth. Myself and others refer those folks to PCF it’s a legit and playable set.

Or people do what I did. I hit the ceiling of my cheap chips at the Nexgen Pro cash set. I went from dice chips to denominations. IMO the nexgens are the tipping point into good clay chips. And they have my initials on the mold. PL, if the P and L were one letter.

After the nexgens I learned a key search phrase “Paulson top hat & cane”.

This let me to lurking on eBay until I stumbled upon PCF. Once I noticed that eBay had inflated prices and PCF user sold sets for considerably less I stayed here.

Or maybe it’s because people are seeing more custom chips on the poker vlogs/streams.

Vlogs themselves bringing people into the game/hobby.

And maybe now that the poker boom is 20 years ago, people are more informed about poker and its custom abilities.

In 2004 I was ecstatic to get the executive set of chips that cost $220 at dunhams. Nowadays I think people are more informed about what they want. They see cool chips on HCL or the lodge streams and they search where the best place to buy those chips.

And then they end up here!

One night I realized dice chips are garbage, especially after a dispute for the denom. Besides being asked "what is this worth" an avg of 481 times a night, someone decided to halve the denom randomly for many hands - I told them it was wrong - after counting they discovered I was right. lol

Dice chips were definitely ground breaking when we grew up, around the time poker got super popular. (probably the hole camera) I figured there was a better option.

For me (as a newer member), I got back into chipping because my neighborhood starting filling up with dads around the same age and as we started to hangout more, we realized poker nights were a good fit. A lot of us played in our younger days. That led me down the dark road of starting to chip hunt again, but I quickly realized all the shit on the common sites (amazon, marketplace, craigslist...etc.) is basically the same shit from 15 years ago, sometimes with new labels. So I ventured into the land of eBay having remembered it existed and there I found the beauts like Paulson's that are really appealing. It didn't take long after searching Paulsons for me to discover this "cult" (lol @BGinGA ). Maybe a slight uptick can be chalked up to people being sick of the same old shit and starting to do more research into more unique sets? Maybe the natural rotation of hobbies has brought a decent amount of people that were in on the early 2000's poker rise/hype back into the light? Maybe it's exponential growth exposure as people started to discover this site, became more of a frequent pop up on google searches?

Well said!

I wonder what the retention rate is... For every 100 new members, how many keep checking the site and posting after (say) three months?
I will think about 5% or less will likely be the answer, it is dismal % compared to the covid boom (2021 - 2022/23) where the site traffic must be at all time high at recent years

This is pretty much how I ended up here. Group of guys, some of us were into board games but as those get super complicated really fast tracking and reteaching rules wasnt feasible. Poker is a much more approachable game for most guys in their 30s as the rules of Texas Hold 'em are practically universally drilled into our heads.

Hoping the new Tina web molds that I bought will stave off my desire to get a Paulson set. Its a slippery slope here.

I will think about 5% or less will likely be the answer, it is dismal % compared to the covid boom (2021 - 2022/23) where the site traffic must be at all time high at recent years
Now I really feel like a degen. After covid hit I basically stopped using social media, because of all the craziness, and found pcf. I was looking to expand my classics set. I pull up pcf when I'm killing time. Lol!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom