Tourney Included rebuy or add-on? (1 Viewer)

Events like this are called "Second Chance" tournaments. The add-on you suggest for peeps having used their second chance is unfair to the other players, IMO. You really don't need an add-on for this type of tourney since most players won't take their re-buy until the break.

Yeah, that was the initial idea then based on suggestions I've changed the plan. Keep reading for more details.

In my experience Addons only increase stacks and lengthen the overall tournament time. Plus it’s just another hassle and something else for you to manage as host. If you want a longer tourney just bake it into the starting stacks.
^ Mostly true, but does not depict the entire picture accurately imo.

Adding the add-on chips to the starting stacks actually creates a longer event than does offering an optional add-on (which will almost always result in fewer total chips in play than the former). This is because some players will have been already eliminated prior to the add-on, and some players may choose to not add-on -- usually very massive stacks (not needed), and sometimes the very tiny stacks (not worth it). It's an added strategy decision not present with just creating larger starting stacks.

Another advantage of offering add-ons is that it increases the size of the prize pool, without increasing the initial buy-in cost or forcing players to pony up more money. It's an optional expense.

On rebuys, make it unlimited until a certain cutoff point and then switch to a freezeout format. It allows aggressive players to run as crazy as they want early while building the pot, without extending the tournament length too much with excessive addons.
Re-buy tournaments fall into two basic categories -- unlimited re-buys, and limited re-buys (typically just one per player, but can be more).

A limited re-buy event allows player aggression to a point, and also protects all players against the early bad-beat or cooler hand that would otherwise eliminate or cripple them..

Unlimited re-buy events also further break into two very different types of tournaments: relatively low-cost buy-in events, which typically generate lots of action and many re-buys (often used for charity fund-raiser events), or higher-cost buy-in events, in which the cost to re-buy tends to keep the aggressive play in check except for those with deep pockets. This puts other players at a bit of a disadvantage, offset only slightly by the increased prize pool. Allowing the 'crazy aggressive' players to purchase unlimited re-buys isn't always in the best interest of the game.

BG, thank you for the answers. I'll offer it up in a survey to find out how players feel about it, but with our current format, I'm not sure how it would work.

Your analysis regarding re-buys I completely agree with as it is my observation as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom