If split, dibs. depending on price. I'm backup dibs" quoth the chipper. (2 Viewers)

I haven't read this whole thing, just a few tid-bits. I once lost out on chips I really wanted (which is rare), as I PM'ed the person right away. He didn't honor my PM because I didn't post "DIBS" in the thread. I didn't want it known in that thread that I was buying them ( I cannot for the life of me remember what it was), and I was pissed.

Seller can do what they want for sure, but

Jason Mantzoukas Come On Man GIF by LoveIndieFilms
That is hard to swallow. I’ve missed out on purchases from the other direction. You post Dibs and then PM only to learn that the item was just sold through PM conversation and no Dibs posting. Seller wasn’t even following his own rules.

It’s hard not to feel slighted and stung sometimes, but those times are usually far and few between. For the most part, I feel we are all doing our best working with some of the inherent stupidity that comes with public interactions. Like everything, it takes constant maintenance to keep it on the felt.

staying steve bannon GIF

I haven't read this whole thing, just a few tid-bits. I once lost out on chips I really wanted (which is rare), as I PM'ed the person right away. He didn't honor my PM because I didn't post "DIBS" in the thread. I didn't want it known in that thread that I was buying them ( I cannot for the life of me remember what it was), and I was pissed.

Seller can do what they want for sure, but

Jason Mantzoukas Come On Man GIF by LoveIndieFilms
I know it sucks, but I did this once as a seller too. Not to you though. But I did specifically state in my sale ad that dibs in thread determines who has priority. And as I said earlier, the opposite has happened to me (where I was first to post dibs in the thread) and I was pissed. So when this happens, somebody is always going to be pissed. But a buyer can't really be pissed if the ground rules are spelled out in the ad and they choose to try and go around them.

It ain’t a “dibs” sale unless the sale specifically says it’s a dibs sale. While for the most part I’ll honor any dibs made, until the money hits the bank, the chips aren’t sold.

I don’t expect just being the first guy to say dibs in a thread to guarantee the sale to me, if I say dibs, I am basically rushing to pay, to finalize the sale.

Anytime I’ve called dibs, it’s followed by a pm, and my dibs is … “dibs… PM incoming” to which I’m awaiting an agreement.

“Dibs if split” doesn’t mean a damn thing… other than alerting other potential buyers that they might be closer to making a split sale make sense to the seller if they also wanted corresponding parts of a lot.

“dibs if split depending on price” is a joke.

I hate it when people dibs for someone else. I say you can @the person to let them know, or you can buy them yourself for the person
if you run across 2 racks Sahara dunes $2s and don’t dibs for me, I’ll take it personally.

This goes for all of you.

The funny thing is, analytics shows that 96.8% of all “dibs” claims flow to a sale. However, “backup” commitments only result in a paltry 26.1% closure rate.

So, perhaps the backupsers are the real problem here.

Of course, I personally always read “backup” as more of “You go girl! Nice pickup, I support your dibs.” Really just a group support hug to help stave off the first round of reactive buyer’s remorse.

(Analytics numbers are fabricated - aren’t they all?!)

The funny thing is, analytics shows that 96.8% of all “dibs” claims flow to a sale. However, “backup” commitments only result in a paltry 26.1% closure rate.

Of course, I personally always read “backup” as more of “You go girl! Nice pickup, I support your dibs.” Really just a group support hug to help stave off the first round of reactive buyer’s remorse.

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

Vin Scully

I've always read "backup" as "I hope the previous dibser has a nonfatal yet personally troubling injury so that s/he is unwilling or unable to follow up on dibs just because I wasn't logged on just 5 minutes earlier because I was in the bathroom."

Not that it's ever happened to me, of course.

Caveat: I barely use the classifieds, so feel free to take this opinion with a bucket of salt.

What "dibs" SHOULD mean:

It is a message to the seller and community that I will buy according to what is listed in the ad and I want the timestamp of this post to mark my place in line.

It meaning anything else it is grossly unfair to the seller.

It might mean I will lose out to a PM deal. That sucks, but there really is no recourse. I am not going to track down a user's address and demand property over an Internet post.

There have been a few things said about seller accountability. And I don't mean to dissuade the notion that sellers should sell what they represent, but caveat emptor is the paradigm of trade. It's up to the buyer to ask the questions before making a deal, the seller cannot anticipate what the buyer wants to know. Due diligence is the buyer's obligation, the seller should cooperate to facilitate the deal.

Due diligence comes BEFORE dibs. Dibs should never be claimed if the intent to buy is conditional on answers to questions.

If you want to put something in the thread to get the seller's attention, but want to do due diligence before commiting, I would suggest "PM sent ". That shouldn't be interpreted as binding, but does let people know there is some interest.

Now if the seller is changing something about the deal after a buyer claims dibs, the buyer should be able to release without reprocussion. (The example of unexpected split pricing mentioned earlier is a good example.)

But using dibs for personal think time, or to prevent others from buying while you ask questions is scummy, full stop.

Last edited:
"Dibs" is a "gentleman's" agreement to purchase the for sale item. Failure to honor "dibs" by either the buyer or seller is punishable by public shaming. Don't discount this as a frivolous method of accountability because this forum has an arsenal of members with impeccable memories just waiting to unleash the past impropriety of another. This goes doubly for anyone trying to price gouge. I personally love this aspect of PCF where "frontier justice" prevails.

92% of all statistical statements are complete falsehoods.

Welp, got another one to add to this thread.

”Dibs, just give me three days to pay” Says new member.

Three days pass.

“Color isn’t right, I don’t want these chips.”

:sneaky:

I got a similar experience except the person asked if there room for negotiation and offered me 30% of the original price

:)

I'll not mix in the discussion, but for what it's worth - in my opinion - Pony made a pretty good effort to explain a point.
You can disagree with his point, that's perfectly fine. That's why we are debating it, but I see little use in making fun of him because he took the time to eloquently explain his view on the issue. This point has been and will be misinterpreted by newer members and probably even some older members.

'Write a dissertation why don't you' and 'extra lolz if it was Pony' aren't really helpful and show little respect.
It's not because someone joined this forum later than you did, that they are therefore lesser human beigns.

Let's all try to get along and have discussion in an adult way is what I guess I am trying to say.

It ain’t a “dibs” sale unless the sale specifically says it’s a dibs sale. While for the most part I’ll honor any dibs made, until the money hits the bank, the chips aren’t sold.

I don’t expect just being the first guy to say dibs in a thread to guarantee the sale to me, if I say dibs, I am basically rushing to pay, to finalize the sale.

Anytime I’ve called dibs, it’s followed by a pm, and my dibs is … “dibs… PM incoming” to which I’m awaiting an agreement.

“Dibs if split” doesn’t mean a damn thing… other than alerting other potential buyers that they might be closer to making a split sale make sense to the seller if they also wanted corresponding parts of a lot.

“dibs if split depending on price” is a joke.
"It's not a pizza until it comes out of the oven"
"It's a pizza the minute you put your fists in the dough"

You can eat the uncooked pizza.

I’ll wait to get paid to consider my chips sold.

I don’t really see the issue here. Everything depends on reputation, but if a noobie dibs my sale I take it with a grain of salt.

Money on the wood makes the betting good.

If I dibs, my initial PM says. “Where do I send the money?”

Everybodies should, if you dibs and then want to talk about it, ask questions, think about it… you wasted everybodies time and took the steam out of more serious buyers.

Shit ain’t sold till a muthafuckah pays.

Dibs with any conditions isn’t an agreement to buy. Fuck straight off. It just means you might be interested.

Dibs if split just means you’re interested if the nature if the sale completely changes. It doesn’t create any relationship with the seller and buyer.

Dibs with any conditions isn’t an agreement to buy. Fuck straight off. It just means you might be interested
Dibs with any conditions isn't really dibs.
Dibs if split just means you’re interested if the nature if the sale completely changes. It doesn’t create any relationship with the seller and buyer.
agree with this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom