If split, dibs. depending on price. I'm backup dibs" quoth the chipper. (3 Viewers)

Because of the general ambiguity surrounding "dibs" I don't use it. If I'm interested in a lot of chips from a given sale I just PM the seller and rely on him/her to inform me if they are already spoken for. Simplicity is best IMHO.
I like to think there is no ambiguity regarding dibs in my sales ads. Here is a paragraph from a big sale post I ran last year.

1705966151231.png

So by failing to post in the thread, you risk losing out to someone who does post in the thread, but does so after your PM. If I happen to be online when your PM comes in, I might post a note in my thread stating that a PM has come in for such and such. If my post beats any other dibs posts, then we can make a deal. If not, the dibs post gets priority.

And with regards to the "multiple lots" part, that doesn't mean I'm going to sit on a dibs for several days (or even several hours) waiting for someone else to buy more. It just means for dibs placed within a short time of each other, typically right after the posting of the sale ad. Or for dibs that post while I'm not logged into the site.

I'm open on dibs with conditions, mainly dibs with a question. I'll consider any post in my sale ad, followed up with a PM to be a placeholder in line until I answer that question. Here is what I said later in that same post I referred to above.

1705967512404.png

But once your question is answered, I need a firm reply back in short order, or you'll lose your place.

I'm probably an exception though, in that I try to define these sorts of things up front in my sale ads. Most will not go to this much trouble, and that's probably why we have a lot of misunderstandings and disagreements about what "dibs" means. Ultimately, the seller makes the decision as to who they sell to. I just happen to think that the more you define the ground rules in your sale ad, the better. And when you don't define up front how you will deal with dibs vs. questions in the thread vs. PMs, then you are more likely to have a misunderstanding and an upset potential buyer.

How about this one? I'm selling 1,000 Tiki Kings. It's not a "dibs" but it sure sounds like a commitment to buy to me:
I'd be interested in 250 fracs, and all the 1s, 5s, 25s and hundreds. If anyone wants to take the other half of fracs and larger than 100 denoms

I said I was interested in a certain chips, we never agreed to a price. You PM'ed me with an offer to by the lot for 500 and said I could split what I didn't want.

My response to that offer was let me think about it, as 500 is more than I wanted to spend right now on a cash set.

You then sent me a message this morning requesting payment for the chips I said I was interested in, but before we even had an agreement in PMs and after you made me an offer of 500 for the set.

The request for payment was for the wrong amount/chip count mind you. You sent another message with a correction for more money.

Again I said let me think about it and I'll give an answer by end of day.

That was just this morning at like 7:30am CST and you put me on blast here shortly after... I'm new I don't know the buying adequate, so I'm sorry if I didn't follow that, but I also think there is better ways to handle it.

Last edited:
What gets higher priority?

A with earlier time stamp: “PM sent” or “dibs depending on price”

B with slightly later time stamp: “dibs” or “dibs not depending on price”

I feel most people will say B but in practice it’s A the majority of the time.

I said I was interested in a certain chips, we never agreed to a price. You PM'ed me with an offer to by the lot for 500 and said I could split what I didn't want.

My response to that offer was let me think about it, as 500 is more than I wanted to spend right now on a cash set.

You then sent me a message this morning requesting payment for the chips I said I was interested in, but before we even had an agreement in PMs and after you made me an offer of 500 for the set.

The request for payment was for the wrong amount/chip count mind you. You sent another message with a correction for more money.

Again I said let me think about it.

That was just this morning at like 7:30am CST and you put me on blast here shortly after... I'm new I don't know the buying adequate, so I'm sorry if I didn't follow that, but I also think there is better ways to handle it.
Nobody is "blasting" you. I'm asking the community their thoughts. This thread was created exactly because of situations like this. You post on my sales thread you'd be interested in buying x amount of chips if someone took the rest. Well, thats happened and now you need to think about it. We're trying to figure out what that means. Where does a commitment begin and I guess it's only at the point of sale. In the meantime maybe don't offer to buy things if you're not ready. In my opinion, your post on my thread was an intent to purchase 730 chips and you could easily calculate what that comes to.

Here is our complete communication:

Poker Chip Forum

chippitydoodah

Tiki Kings​

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Yesterday at 6:28 PM
I would offer you to buy the entire set for $500 plus shipping. You can sell off the Quarters and larger denoms you don't want if you like or keep them

dman1191

Sitting Out​

Yesterday at 7:35 PM
Let me think about it, 500 is a little more than I'm wanting to spend on a cash set right now.

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
I reached out to another to buy 250 of the quarters

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:11 AM
I accept to sell you

250 @ Quarters
300 @ Ones
100 @ Fives
60 @ Tweny Fives
20 @ Hundreds

630 Total @ $.55ea
$346.50
MFRB $18.40

Total $364.90

PayPal Friends & Family

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:14 AM
Correction
730 Chips $401.50
Ship MFRB $18.40
Total $419.90

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:15 AM
Since you're purchasing the bulk I will include the Dealer Button

Quote Reply

D

dman1191

Sitting Out​

Today at 8:23 AM
Let me think about it, I'll have an answer for you today. Still a little more than I wanted to spend but a great deal
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/conversations/messages/2991637/react?reaction_id=1

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:29 AM
This is your post in my sale
Screenshot_20240125_082839_Chrome.jpg

I accept

If he only said he’s interested and committed to giving you an answer within a day, what’s the issue?
My issue or rather my question is, do we consider his post in my thread as an offer to buy. I'm not hung up on anything after that. I'm merely reverting back to his post in my sale now that he's telling me he needs to think about it

How about this one? I'm selling 1,000 Tiki Kings. It's not a "dibs" but it sure sounds like a commitment to buy to me:
Nothing is a commitment to buy unless they say they are taking exactly what seller is selling, at exactly the selling price. The comment you quoted is in the event of a split, and specifically uses the words "interested" and "if."

I'd be interested in 250 fracs, and all the 1s, 5s, 25s and hundreds. If anyone wants to take the other half of fracs and larger than 100 denoms

Imo, ”I’d be interested if x” isn’t a clear intension of buying. Whenever I’ve sold a set where there’s been ”interested if split” people or ”dibs if split” even, I’ve come back to them asking whether they’d still be interested if say a week or two passes and no one scoops.

Not a fan of posting private messages unless there’re some really special circumstances.

Imo, ”I’d be interested if x” isn’t a clear intension of buying. Whenever I’ve sold a set where there’s been ”interested if split” people or ”dibs if split” even, I’ve come back to them asking whether they’d still be interested if say a week or two passes and no one scoops.

Not a fan of posting private messages unless there’re some really special cicircumstances.
I agree about the PM's, however he was quoting our entire conversation and was slightly tilting it so I chose to be 100% transparent rather than bicker back and forth about what was said

Nobody is "blasting" you. I'm asking the community their thoughts. This thread was created exactly because of situations like this. You post on my sales thread you'd be interested in buying x amount of chips if someone took the rest. Well, thats happened and now you need to think about it. We're trying to figure out what that means. Where does a commitment begin and I guess it's only at the point of sale. In the meantime maybe don't offer to buy things if you're not ready. In my opinion, your post on my thread was an intent to purchase 730 chips and you could easily calculate what that comes to.

Here is our complete communication:

Poker Chip Forum
chippitydoodah

Tiki Kings​

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Yesterday at 6:28 PM
I would offer you to buy the entire set for $500 plus shipping. You can sell off the Quarters and larger denoms you don't want if you like or keep them

dman1191

Sitting Out​

Let me think about it, 500 is a little more than I'm wanting to spend on a cash set right now.

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
I reached out to another to buy 250 of the quarters

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:11 AM
I accept to sell you

250 @ Quarters
300 @ Ones
100 @ Fives
60 @ Tweny Fives
20 @ Hundreds

630 Total @ $.55ea
$346.50
MFRB $18.40

Total $364.90

PayPal Friends & Family

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:14 AM
Correction
730 Chips $401.50
Ship MFRB $18.40
Total $419.90

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:15 AM
Since you're purchasing the bulk I will include the Dealer Button

Quote Reply

D

dman1191

Sitting Out​

Today at 8:23 AM
Let me think about it, I'll have an answer for you today. Still a little more than I wanted to spend but a great deal
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/conversations/messages/2991637/react?reaction_id=1

chippitydoodah

Flush​

Supporter
Today at 8:29 AM
This is your post in my sale
Screenshot_20240125_082839_Chrome.jpg

I accept
Yes. 100% you are blasting @dman1191

This entire exchange is completely inappropriate to post in a public forum. @chippitydoodah You are absolutely out of line.

Inappropriate? Seriously?
You make it sound as if I'm divulging some secret information!
I like you chippity, but I would emphatically say you should not share PMs publicly unless there is scamming or an large blowup of a situation. Newer members getting over-pressured or finding themselves in a situation such as this can be a large turnoff for them towards our community as well, which is not something we should like to see. There are other ways to bring up and discuss such a situation than how it was handled. (The following isn't pertaining to you at all, but as a follow-up to that sentiment, too many people here seem to be quick to chastise or bully newer people, especially in an attempt to be funny which they fail on half the time.)

Inappropriate? Seriously?
You make it sound as if I'm divulging some secret private information!
FYP.

You are aware of what the "P" in PM stands for, aren't you? As others have already stated, you do not call out another member (most especially a brand new one) in a public forum and divulge the contents of PMs without far more extenuating circumstances. Honestly, even if if wasn't inappropriate, it was just plain dumb. Do you really expect this guy to still be a buyer of what you're selling? And what about the message you are sending to everyone else following this thread? Don't send chippy a PM and expect him to keep it private!

FYP.

You are aware of what the "P" in PM stands for, aren't you? As others have already stated, you do not call out another member (most especially a brand new one) in a public forum and divulge the contents of PMs without far more extenuating circumstances. Honestly, even if if wasn't inappropriate, it was just plain dumb. Do you really expect this guy to still be a buyer of what you're selling? And what about the message you are sending to everyone else following this thread? Don't send chippy a PM and expect him to keep it private!

How is this ANY different?

So his memory of every private message is ok but my response to share with everyone what was exactly said is inappropriate?

Ok

So his memory of every private message is ok but my response to share with everyone what was exactly said is inappropriate?

Ok
Short answer...yes. The instances of taking a screenshot of a PM and posting it should be very few. The circumstances leading to that should be so egregious that the results of someone posting a PM be mainly for protection of the forum community...not some tit-for-tat way to get even. Publicly posting a private message is what they refer to as a nuclear response.

In my opinion, this situation was no where near that. He's a new guy, you're supposed to be a seasoned veteran. Doubling down on a nuclear response probably isn't the next best move.

Ok
C'mon dude. You are missing the entire point of all this. He didn't respond in here until AFTER you called him out. It's the calling out personally of him that's inappropriate. I'm barely even paying attention to what the argument between you is. Because, that argument itself should be taking place privately. Not publicly.

We don't care what his memory of the PM is. It's irrelevant to the point we are trying to make to you.

Better communication is needed between buyers and sellers!!!!

Buyers need to be clear to the seller what they mean when they respond to a sale, especially when they make it contingent on the actions of someone or something else. Are you interested and will only purchase at a better price or if it is split? If so, FREAKIN’ STATE THAT! The seller is required to put the price in the ad so you know what the price per chip is already. It’s stupid-simple math. Total price divided by total # of chips!!!! If you are not prepared to pay that, then don’t post in the thread and give the impression you want to buy it. For dman to tell chippy that I am not ready to spend $500 (or $401.50+shipping) right now, then don’t set the hook. Send a PM and discuss a new price. MAKE YOUR INTENTIONS CLEAR.

On the other side of the chip ( :LOL: :laugh: see what I did there?) the sellers shouldn’t assume a sale is happening it is not clearly being stated that the buyer wants to purchase the item. And if the seller doesn’t quite know, they should ask for clarification. It requires extra work by the seller, especially when buyer is new. They aren’t going to know so you have to teach them. And if the seller counters with a different offer, give the buyer time to assess the deal. Dman asked for that and it wasn’t given, as far a I can read from the posted PM.

And Chippy, dude, come on bro. Don’t drop a buyers name like that. You strung him out to dry on something that could have been a positive learning experience for the dude. Sounds like you could use a Yuengling.

It is easy to pick apart this whole transaction and point fingers. But mistakes were made all around. I guess you both now have to bend over, drop trow, and make @NotRealNameNoSir happy all in the name of Prima Nocta (if I read that correctly)!

FYP.

You are aware of what the "P" in PM stands for, aren't you?
Unnecessary insult but ok.
As others have already stated, you do not call out another member (most especially a brand new one) in a public forum and divulge the contents of PMs without far more extenuating circumstances. Honestly, even if if wasn't inappropriate, it was just plain dumb.
More insults but again, ok.
Do you really expect this guy to still be a buyer of what you're selling?
Nope, and I didnt really expect him to buy them before this.
And what about the message you are sending to everyone else following this thread? Don't send chippy a PM and expect him to keep it private!
The message will be if they're not telling the entire truth, it's gonna coming out.
C'mon dude. You are missing the entire point of all this. He didn't respond in here until AFTER you called him out. It's the calling out personally of him that's inappropriate.
I agree 100%
I'm barely even paying attention to what the argument between you is. Because, that argument itself should be taking place privately. Not publicly.

We don't care what his memory of the PM is. It's irrelevant to the point we are trying to make to you.
I didn't realize his username got tagged in with the quote. I've already said that was not my intention. When he replied I was shocked as I was only sharing the quote to be a discussion of "dibs" and not about our pending transaction. It wasn't until his post which was an extremely lengthy one detailing our entire PM that I felt obligated to share the exact account of events.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom