If split, dibs. depending on price. I'm backup dibs" quoth the chipper. (2 Viewers)

Bacon Dad

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve all seen it and we probably have all done it at least once. I’m talking about calling DIBS on a part of a chip set that has yet to be split by the seller.

I understand it’s healthy and critical in letting the seller know that there is a demand for one barrel here or a rack there, but not necessarily for the entire set in one shot. So I see it helping the seller decide if they should consider splitting up the set.

But when exactly do the DIBS actually mean something and carry weight?

Are there PCF rules, written or otherwise, that govern how/when dibs work? My gut says it depends on the seller and how they handle the premature dibbing.

I like to believe it is standard operating procedure for all sellers to basically wipe the dibs slate clean once they decide to split up the set. But I also believed Ed McMahon was going to knock on my door every spring and that never happened.

And then the dibs statement get the added qualifier of “…depending on price”. How does that even work? It seems like an awful lot for the seller to track.

So for the experienced chippers, what have most of you experienced in the Dibs Game?

And for the inexperienced chippers like myself, when you give a premature dibs, are you expecting to be first in line?

Thanks!

A ”dibs” of what’s actually for sale is a binding accept in my book. There are always exceptions, but in general.

I however don’t regard ”dibs x if split” the same. Often, it’s just thrown out there whether it’s likely or not that the set will get split at some point. Besides if there isn’t a price (offer), how can there be an accept?

DIBS lets everyone to follow that you've expressed interest...but is not binding. The seller is not required to honor it, IMO.
A PM to the seller showing interest is the most effective way to get the item.
A "Dibs if split" is only meaningful in letting the seller (and everyone else) know that you'd like to be considered.
Seller can do whatever the F*#K they wish.

We’ve all seen it and we probably have all done it at least once. I’m talking about calling DIBS on a part of a chip set that has yet to be split by the seller.

I understand it’s healthy and critical in letting the seller know that there is a demand for one barrel here or a rack there, but not necessarily for the entire set in one shot. So I see it helping the seller decide if they should consider splitting up the set.

But when exactly do the DIBS actually mean something and carry weight?

Are there PCF rules, written or otherwise, that govern how/when dibs work? My gut says it depends on the seller and how they handle the premature dibbing.

I like to believe it is standard operating procedure for all sellers to basically wipe the dibs slate clean once they decide to split up the set. But I also believed Ed McMahon was going to knock on my door every spring and that never happened.

And then the dibs statement get the added qualifier of “…depending on price”. How does that even work? It seems like an awful lot for the seller to track.

So for the experienced chippers, what have most of you experienced in the Dibs Game?

And for the inexperienced chippers like myself, when you give a premature dibs, are you expecting to be first in line?

Thanks!
I don’t think there are any “rules” regarding dibs.

Some sellers make this known with statements or disclaimers in their ads.

It’s a personal preference. I have called dibs many times and still didn’t get the chips. So…

I have also sold chips via PM even though I’m running public sales. So I’m a hypocrite if I think dibs are rules or have any weight at all. You can’t really force anyone to make a PayPal payment. Lol!

I even today scored chips, because the seller was super honorable, running a dibs thread, and I placed dibs. Then learned someone else beat me to the punch, but then the seller saw that other buyer did not post dibs, and so I got the chips. He honoured his own rule. Was pretty cool.

Seller had NO OBLIGATION to sell to me. Really.

What if a person got excited made a mistake and posted dibs? You can pick something up at the store and then decide to leave it. No harm or foul. You can leave it at the register and refuse to pay. You will still be allowed to shop again. Same thing here. This hobby can be emotionally challenging and draining at times. Humans make mistakes. We all do.

The sellers that have “dibs means your taking it” rules and the like, well, they can’t really force ya to follow through, but then you can get hung to fry a bit. Everyone will throw stones at ya and the pitchforks will come out. The seller will lambaste your name on the site and will likely never sell to you. Block you. It’s a nightmare.

Back when I first joined, I got banned for not following through on a bid. This was at auction, so different rules there, but it was a lesson learned. I got called out pretty good and was not allowed to peruse the site for 24hrs, and I received verbal warning from Tommy.

Just tread lightly. Say dibs but only when you mean it. That’s the best way to move about.

I agree that ”dibs” obviously isn’t binding in any legal sense and there are no strict site rules. But I also don’t think that people should throw around ”dibs” (or whatever word you wanna use) whenever they feel like they sorta, maybe wanna buy something. It’s an intent to buy, please don’t abuse it.

And no, a seller doesn’t have an obligation to sell to a ”dibser” but for clarity why not just put ”this is not a dibs sale, I’ll sell to whomever I want/will do a draw/whatever”?

If there is a price listed for the racks if split, then I see it as pretty binding (within a limited reasonable time) should a split happen. Why dibs it if you're not actually selling to follow through? Of course thing can happen, but dibsing and then releasing dibs an hour later is really amnoying imo. If a split takes s long time, like a week or more to happen then the dibs is worth less and less as the buyer, but imo the seller should reach out to the dibser in thread first to check with them. Very likely the dibser is still interested!

If there is a price listed for the racks if split, then I see it as pretty binding (within a limited reasonable time) should a split happen. Why dibs it if you're not actually selling to follow through? Of course thing can happen, but dibsing and then releasing dibs an hour later is really amnoying imo. If a split takes s long time, like a week or more to happen then the dibs is worth less and less as the buyer, but imo the seller should reach out to the dibser in thread first to check with them. Very likely the dibser is still interested!
like im still interested in them PCA $25S chips!!! Holy Hell!!!

dibs dibs dibs and will not release

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

like im still interested in them PCA $25S chips!!! Holy Hell!!!

dibs dibs dibs and will not release

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Okey, $3000/rack!!

Lol, made me think of one thing i forgot to mention one point: when price is not listed dibs if split is a bit less meaningful. (Or I guess it's based on some sort of standard market price, but that's not always obvious)

I especially like how people call dibs on a set that has yet to be split where the individual racks haven't even been listed for a price.

Like you might have just "dibs'd" a $2,000 rack of Jumers $1s.

Dibs means nothing. Dibs on behalf of another person means even less.
I think it depends on which side you're looking at it from. As a seller, if someone calls dibs, and then doesn't commit and doesn't have a fantastic reason for backing out, they most likely end up on the sellers shitlist.

But as the seller, they don't have to honor a dibs at all; their chips, their rules.

I also feel that calling a blind dibs on "splits" where pricing isn't announced is worthless to both parties.

I also feel that calling a blind dibs on "splits" where pricing isn't announced is worthless to both parties.
Can’t be worthless. I’ve placed such dibs, and it pays off. I think it can depend highly upon who the seller is too.

Not worthless. Wrong or improper is another debate, but it’s been worth saying dibs for me some of the time.

Not worthless. Wrong or improper is another debate, but it’s been worth saying dibs for me some of the time.
Very true. I’ve heard it said that it never hurts to ask for what you want. Personally I think it takes a lot of nerve to ask for the most coveted rack in a set. But I’ve seen it happen time and time again.

Can’t be worthless. I’ve placed such dibs, and it pays off. I think it can depend highly upon who the seller is too.

Hmmm... I meant "worthless" in a binding way. It's not worthless to express interest in part of a set if only to let the seller know that if they split it, you're already salivating.

But I do feel it's worthless to call dibs (since the intent of dibs is binding) on something that has no price.

Stupid double posts. Anyway yes I absolutely feel that expressing intent is important, but doing so as part of a dibs with an unlisted and unpriced item is weird.

Last edited:
"Dibs" may not be binding but personally I would feel less than honorable dibsing something then not following through. I recently made a purchase for that very reason (wish I hadn't but I called for it).

I see "Dibs if split" as being a little different but just what it says "**If** this set gets split I am interested in XXX of that set". Seller can take or leave it but it's information for them and others who may one some part of set too. Obviously absent a price negotiating would be expected.

I especially like how people call dibs on a set that has yet to be split where the individual racks haven't even been listed for a price.

Like you might have just "dibs'd" a $2,000 rack of Jumers $1s.
This is exactly why the "dibs depending on price" doesn't bother me and not sure why it would bother others.

Stupid double posts. Anyway yes I absolutely feel that expressing intent is important, but doing so as part of a dibs with an unlisted and unpriced item is weird.
Again, this is something that 100% doesn't bother me. If someone has been searching for a barrel/rack of something for a long time and it comes up in a huge set what's really the big deal? Are people losing sleep over someone posting dibs if split??? There are much bigger things in the world to get upset over. I look at "dibs depending on price" as a chippers way of saying. Hey man sick set but I don't want to spend $4000 to just get the $300 ish rack of chips I've been searching for so if you're open to it and eventually split it up I'm your guy unless you want $500 for the $300 ish rack then I'm not your guy. lol

Dibsing chips that the seller has not agreed to split, when there is no announced price, makes no sense.

If someone said “If split, I’ll commit to paying $300 for a rack of the Blurples” (or whatever), then I suppose that if I were the seller I’d honor that marker if split.

Until someone else says $305. Which means it’s not really a dibs, more of an ad hoc hypothetical auction.

Dibsing chips that the seller has not agreed to split, when there is no announced price, makes no sense.

If someone said “If split, I’ll commit to paying $300 for a rack of the Blurples” (or whatever), then I suppose that if I were the seller I’d honor that marker if split.

Until someone else says $305. Which means it’s not really a dibs, more of an ad hoc hypothetical auction.
Not sure if that's the better solution here. Let me tell the entire community exactly how much I want to spend so that someone else with deeper pockets can "outbid" me via PM by $5? What is wrong with a dibs then a PM discussing price? I feel like more than 50% of the listings end up getting split up on here.

Again, this is something that 100% doesn't bother me. If someone has been searching for a barrel/rack of something for a long time and it comes up in a huge set what's really the big deal? Are people losing sleep over someone posting dibs if split??? There are much bigger things in the world to get upset over. I look at "dibs depending on price" as a chippers way of saying. Hey man sick set but I don't want to spend $4000 to just get the $300 ish rack of chips I've been searching for so if you're open to it and eventually split it up I'm your guy unless you want $500 for the $300 ish rack then I'm not your guy. lol
Pretty much this.

I figure if the seller says "Not looking to split", then I keep my mouth....er...keyboard shut.

Now if they said "Prefer not to split" but I really need that barrel/rack of the special Blue dice chips, then I will stick my oar in.

If the sellers says nothing, again I will pipe in but obviously it's up to the seller if they are willing to split, and believe you me I understand not wanting to do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom