If split, dibs. depending on price. I'm backup dibs" quoth the chipper. (2 Viewers)

Again, this is something that 100% doesn't bother me. If someone has been searching for a barrel/rack of something for a long time and it comes up in a huge set what's really the big deal?
The non-committal dibs could dissuade others. If everyone piles on and becomes a backup to the backup to the backup of the theoretical split without a price, it gets kinda messy.

The non-committal dibs could dissuade others. If everyone piles on and becomes a backup to the backup to the backup of the theoretical split without a price, it gets kinda messy.

^^^^^^^
This is the main reason why I asked this question in the first place. Well, that, and I was apparently up all night worrying about it per Billy Batts’ “spot on” assessment again and again and again.

As a new chipper with little experience in buying from the classifieds, what’s protocol? What’s binding and what can be ignored as a prospective buyer?

Pro tip is always call backup if you're willing and wanting to buy the chips, regardless of the pecking order. Worst case is you don't get them, best case is you do or someone else PMs you with an opportunity for the same chips.

As a new chipper with little experience in buying from the classifieds, what’s protocol? What’s binding and what can be ignored as a prospective buyer?

Pro tip is always call backup if you're willing and wanting to buy the chips, regardless of the pecking order. Worst case is you don't get them, best case is you do or someone else PMs you with an opportunity for the same chips.
This^

If you want to buy something, post something in the listing as a courtesy to others, then PM the seller. If you see others may have already "dibbed" what you're interested in but you haven't seen the seller make any edits saying it's sold, post and PM anyways. Privately tell the seller something like "I'll buy at your asking price if still available" or "I'll take it if so-and-so drop out."

^^^^^^^
This is the main reason why I asked this question in the first place. Well, that, and I was apparently up all night worrying about it per Billy Batts’ “spot on” assessment again and again and again.

Unfortunately nothing on this forum is binding (understandably so). This isn't meant to be primarily a sales marketplace site so we are all playing/buying/selling in good faith. If someone call dibs and doesn't follow through, they can get a slap on the wrist and a time-out. Other than that, call dibs and stand behind your "commitment" as a respectable human being. Plus chip karma is real if you plan on sticking around. The seller on the other hand, has the ability/right to sell to whomever they want (shrug).

Other than that, call dibs and stand behind your "commitment" as a respectable human being.
And it’s not just that, but a lot of us play poker together occasionally or whatever. It feels to me like being a man of your word is more important within the poker community than most places. So I think that makes me a little bit more likely to trust people here. I expect people to do what they say, and I do the same. I haven’t been screwed yet, but I’m gonna go find a piece of wood to knock on.

Thank you all for all of your comments and insight. They are beneficial and have a lot of merit behind them, even when we don't see things the same way. I asked the questions soliciting your thoughts and advice and you didn't let me down. This community rocks! Thanks everybody!

Thank you all for all of your comments and insight. They are beneficial and have a lot of merit behind them, even when we don't see things the same way. I asked the questions soliciting your thoughts and advice and you didn't let me down. This community rocks! Thanks everybody!
You are welcome pending split price.

I've read through this and I have to say that I'm a little confused...if there is an ad in the classifieds that tells me set XYZ is for sale, mentions terms etc, and I see that no one else has posted (very rare) and this XYZ looks like what I'm looking for, then I post a dibs, or, PM coming, then I follow that by immediately sending that seller a PM letting them know of my interest in XYZ. I will ask them any questions they I may have, then I wait for their response. I guess you can call me a social retread, but, seems like I'm an online forum that is how someone should go about procuring the item the seller is selling. I feel like I'm on pretty solid ground here, so far. When it comes to the other part of this op, how else am I supposed to express my interest in an item of I don't speak up, in the instance of a set that may get split? It's not like is an uncommon thing, sets getting split. What's the issue on stating your desire for a rack or barrel, of whatever part of that set that's being offered? I then, again, send a PM letting that person know of my interest in that item if a split should occur. Doing this let's the seller know where the interest level is, and, also let's others know, which is useful if the seller is adamant about not splitting, so someone else can guage interest in case they end up buying the complete set to get the one rack they need and then resell the rest.

How else can a person get in line if they don't post, and then follow up with a message to the seller? Also, this can help with having a record of who asked, and when. Most sellers I've dealt with have shown a great level of integrity, most transactions I've done on here have pretty much gone this way. 99% of the sellers here have a been great to deal with.

As for people dibsing (is that a word) they have a responsibility to be responsive, if not, too bad. If you want it don't waste the sellers time.

I guess if you're getting bent about people posting their interest in items then you may have other things bothering you.

Dibs splits only exist where:
1) the seller says nothing about them, people DIBS, and the seller honors them
2) the seller says DIBS are ok as part of a sales post

I hate DIBS when I'm buying or selling. If buying, I like to know I have a chance at a purchase if I'm not the fastest mouse clicker, or the person with the saddest life where I have nothing to do but F5 the classifieds. If selling, I like to give my buyers the same chance, especially because I sell a lot of singles, and I don't want somebody's DIBS of one chip to ruin the chance that somebody else would buy twenty but only if they could get that first chip.

I hate DIBS when I'm buying or selling. If buying, I like to know I have a chance at a purchase if I'm not the fastest mouse clicker, or the person with the saddest life where I have nothing to do but F5 the classifieds. If selling, I like to give my buyers the same chance, especially because I sell a lot of singles, and I don't want somebody's DIBS of one chip to ruin the chance that somebody else would buy twenty but only if they could get that first chip.

If you put a car in your front yard with a for sale sign, and, while you were putting the sign on a person rides by and says they want it, they have the money, and are ready to buy, do you tell them "no, I want to see who else wants it?" Come on, really??

If you put a car in your front yard with a for sale sign, and, while you were putting the sign on a person rides by and says they want it, they have the money, and are ready to buy, do you tell them "no, I want to see who else wants it?" Come on, really??
I'm not selling a car in my yard. I'm selling poker chips in a forum. I've sold racks of chips that way at least once. I asked who was interested, a day or two later I had some random way of picking buyers, and the winners bought the chips.

What's the issue on stating your desire for a rack or barrel, of whatever part of that set that's being offered?
From my perspective there’s no issue with it. But I do often snort “yeah no shit” when somebody quickly tries to claim the rarest, most desirable part of a set. I’m talking about when somebody lists a fairly common set with fairly rare fracs. Or a tournament set where the T500s are in very short supply.

And I get that, that's more than fair. I certainly wouldn't let someone cherry pick and leave the rest. That's kind of what dibs is for, you can see who wants what. I believe those willing to purchase more should get priority. The crown jewel would be the last thing I released. @FDLmold isn't dibs kind of what you're describing when you say you asked people what they wanted, only dibs are people voluntarily telling you what they want. I'm still not seeing the gripe?

I hate the dibs crap. As @FDLmold mold said, there are guys that don’t have anything better to do than scrape the web and hit F5 all day. I really hate the dibs crap when I see someone post a sale that specifically says they aren’t splitting. I try to honor their sales post and not clog it up with “if split…”. Then, it never seems to fail that the 15 people that do clog it with their “dibs” wind up getting what they want. No good deed…

The reason most sets end up getting split is because they don't sell for their asking price, and, there are people they have stated their desire for part of the set. No one is forcing them to split their sets, they do it to move them.

I will say, from my experience, when you say you'll be interested in something, if split, and you are first in line, you normally are treated as first in line for that split. I've never heard anyone complain about that procedure.

I'm not selling a car in my yard. I'm selling poker chips in a forum. I've sold racks of chips that way at least once. I asked who was interested, a day or two later I had some random way of picking buyers, and the winners bought the chips.
This is one of the things I really like (sometimes) about PCF. I've also noted some sales recently where the seller is specifically looking to help someone start/complete a set and put in the caveat that the sale wasn't going to the first/dibs but to that bidder most "needing/deserving". It may not be the most commercially appropriate but I really like it.

It is very niche thing going on here and a very special (in both the good and pejorative meanings) community.

I'm still a young chipper! I've done it once recently the excitement took over my body and I typed dibs. Then the real me came back and realized this was just a desire and not to give into every temptation as my wallet cannot support it. I still think dibs/then reverse dibs should be a thing until a pm is conducted for the final agreement . It helps us newbies with a little time to do quick research to make sure the new guy/girl isn't getting taken advantage of since a lot of this is still new to us and the value of all these sets can really vary.
Maybe I’m wrong here, but doesn’t “I’m interested in…” hold your spot without an obligation to purchase? Or would a person dibsing right after get priority?

Now I’m generally interested to hear from the veteran PCFers about good etiquette here.

Reviving this to prevent further discussion mucking up @sheikh617 sale thread

@TX_Golf_N_Poker
@Bacon Dad

Dibs is only to let other people know that you’re buying them. But it’s the PM where the deal is done with the seller.
I think if you are interested in a split or making a deal as part of a current sale, there’s no reason to post in the thread “I’m interested in…” Send a PM to the seller if they would like to split, etc.

Dibs means “I’ll take them, if they’re still available.”
Legally binding, no…but back out of a few dibs and you’ll find yourself on an asshat list.
That said, if a person says dibs and doesn’t follow up with a PM, and another person sends a PM at roughly the same time without posting dibs, I see no problem with the seller going with the PM buyer.

If I post dibs and follow up with a PM, and the seller says “sorry, someone PM’d me earlier and they’re sold”, I have no problem with this.

There’s no strict rules, dibs is a courtesy.
One that shouldn’t be abused.

I'm still a young chipper! I've done it once recently the excitement took over my body and I typed dibs. Then the real me came back and realized this was just a desire and not to give into every temptation as my wallet cannot support it. I still think dibs/then reverse dibs should be a thing until a pm is conducted for the final agreement . It helps us newbies with a little time to do quick research to make sure the new guy/girl isn't getting taken advantage of since a lot of this is still new to us and the value of all these sets can really vary.
Dibs isn’t for calling, then doing your homework.
Dibs is a courtesy that gives everyone following the message that you’re planning to buy, and they should move along.
If you’re not quite sure if the chips for sale are the one you want, that’s on you to confirm before pulling the dibs trigger.

Maybe I’m wrong here, but doesn’t “I’m interested in…” hold your spot without an obligation to purchase? Or would a person dibsing right after get priority?

Now I’m generally interested to hear from the veteran PCFers about good etiquette here.

Reviving this to prevent further discussion mucking up @sheikh617 sale thread

@TX_Golf_N_Poker
@Bacon Dad
First of all, I think we all understand that there are no hard and fast rules regarding any of this. Some sellers are very loose with their requirements and interpretations of dibs, as well as priorities of posting in the thread or sending a PM. So anything I post here is MY opinion alone, and not any sort of PCF guideline.

I will say that one thing that has frustrated me several times is when I have posted a firm dibs in the thread (first) but in PM, seller states that someone else PM'd him first so the item is sold. When I sell, dibs IN THE THREAD always takes priority to a PM without dibs in the thread. It's a simple matter of transparency.

Regarding the question above, I would never consider "I'm interested in X" to hold my spot regarding interest in a complete item with a stated price. If another post comes later and says dibs, or I'll take it, that would supercede "I'm interested," in my opinion.

I will sometimes use "I'm interested in X if there is a split." In this case, the split price would be unknown, so it's not a commitment to buy, since you don't know what seller's asking price is going to be. But if that split does take place later, then yes, I would think it might be a placeholder. Does that make sense? But also, when there is a split, seller will always have the final say, and he might pass over my interest in one rack and give that item to a later "interest" post from someone else wanting more of the lot than I do. Seller should do what's best for him in order to get his entire lot sold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom