Tourney I need help, and don't know where to start (1 Viewer)

JD3

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As you may have seen in my introduction, I am new to the forum.

With that said, I have been playing $20 buy in (no rebuy) with about 6-8 friends. Up until a few weeks ago this was fine, except the last time we played it was chaos. We don't use timers, and because of the low cost buy in I think people dont play as serious. For reference, that game took over 5 hours to play.

Recently, I have been trying to take poker more serious and learn the art so I was a bit annoyed by the whole thing. I have recently suggested to them we do a $50 buy in and allow a rebuy if you are eliminated by a particular level.

Through lurking around, many of you seem to be well versed in running home games so I am looking for help structuring a game. I have searched through this section, so if I missed a similar thread or left out important information I apologize.

My goal: $50 buy in, 1 buy back maybe half chip leader? I played around with that chip calculator, but don't know where to begin honestly. I would like the game to last 3 hours or so. This way we can play a second game time permitting.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/basic-tournament-set-breakdowns-for-beginners-updated.49446/

As far as how long to have it last, usually tourneys end when the average stack is between 10-25bb is home game set up. Meaning in the vicinity of 20-50 total BB in play.

My link about outlines chip setups and fairly standard blind structures. If you are having rebuys, factor about a 50% rebuy rate or so into how many chips will be in play.
Thank you Legend, I will give it a read!

I'm not sure if i read it right, but I wouldn't have the re-buy be a fraction of a stack based on what's going on in the game. I'd keep it simple and allow a rebuy for a new chip stack at same cost as original.

I'm not sure if i read it right, but I wouldn't have the re-buy be a fraction of a stack based on what's going on in the game. I'd keep it simple and allow a rebuy for a new chip stack at same cost as original.
That will definitely be easier to manage, thank you for the advice

What does “T25” mean?

Ideas are getting crossed here.

You basically want a tournament structure that will last about 3 hours. Probably something around 100BB, so maybe a T5000 stack starting with 25/50 blinds. Allow as many rebuys as one likes for first 5 levels.

The concept of "buying back in for $x up to y% of the biggest stack in play" is a cash game phenomenon, where there are often unlimited reloads.

You basically want a tournament structure that will last about 3 hours. Probably something around 100BB, so maybe a T5000 stack starting with 25/50 blinds. Allow as many rebuys as one likes for first 5 levels.

The concept of "buying back in for $x up to y% of the biggest stack in play" is a cash game phenomenon, where there are often unlimited reloads.
In talking through it, I think my issue wasn’t about the duration but maybe the experience? Honestly I wanted to use the rebuy as a way to boost the pot, I’m not sure everyone would play for higher stakes at this time

Yeah. I didn't even catch that when I first read this.

You should be able to put together a pretty solid Single table tourney set (STT) with 400-500 chips. Easy to put together a T25 set that can cover a wide range of tournament setups.

Could do a T5k or T10k starting stack with flexibility to do re-buys up to 9-10 people.

Can I get an invite to your game? As pita as it sounds it also sounds like they are donking off money for laughs.

Can I get an invite to your game? As pita as it sounds it also sounds like they are donking off money for laughs.
Historically that has been my attitude because it was usually an easy was to win $100-$120 bucks but recently I have been wanting to play a little more serious and get better at the game

That’s why I mentioned higher buy-ins to them to which they seem receptive

In talking through it, I think my issue wasn’t about the duration but maybe the experience? Honestly I wanted to use the rebuy as a way to boost the pot, I’m not sure everyone would play for higher stakes at this time

The good thing about a tournament is that the structure is completely independent of the stakes you choose. You can use the exact same structure for a $20 buy in as a $20,000 buy-in. Your structure basically determines how long your game would predict to last, all other variables being equal. Of course, the amount of chips you need might be a different matter entirely, but I bet it could be done in most cases with 400 chips (1 table, 10 people, limited rebuys).

Yep - to go even more basic…

There are two different types of game -

Tournament: everyone pays an entry fee that becomes a prize pool. For the entry fee you get a set amount of chips. People get eliminated as they run out of chips. The cost of playing hands goes up on a set time schedule to make sure the game is driven to a conclusion. In some tournaments you can re-enter in the early stages by paying a second/third entry fee, as if you are another player. The winner(s) gets the prize pool at the end of the game.

Cash: players exchange money for chips at a fixed rate. There can be rules to limit the maximum amount, but some games are uncapped. Players can add more or less money as they choose, or leave the game (cash out the chips in front of them at that set rate) when they choose.

Cash is simpler to organize, but in theory can lead to unlimited losses. For novices a tournament can be a night’s entertainment for the buy-in - with the added benefit that someone “wins” at the end.

What does “T25” mean?

T25 means that your lowest chip denomination is 25, or "25 chips".

For example a T25 base T5000 tournament means everybody's starting stack is 5000 chips, with lowest chip value of 25 to cover first level small and big blinds.

12x T25, 12x T100, and 7x T500 add up to T5000 over 31 chips for each player to start.

T25 means that your lowest chip denomination is 25, or "25 chips".

For example a T25 base T5000 tournament means everybody's starting stack is 5000 chips, with lowest chip value of 25 to cover first level small and big blinds.

12x T25, 12x T100, and 7x T500 add up to T5000 over 31 chips for each player to start.
That’s good to know, I’m guilty of thinking you need a boat load of chips to play.

I recently got a 400 chip set:

120x T25
120x t100
60x t500
80xt1k
20xt5k

Good breakdown for 5k or 10k starting stacks with 1 buying over 9 people. Could easily add some additional 5ks for more re-buys if needed.

I recently got a 400 chip set:

120x T25
120x t100
60x t500
80xt1k
20xt5k

Good breakdown for 5k or 10k starting stacks with 1 buying over 9 people. Could easily add some additional 5ks for more re-buys if needed.
Thanks Michael, how long do you typically run your blinds?

Almost everybody does. Then they see the prices. Makes you want to reevaluate things.
I’ll tell you what, I had no idea poker chips were such a rabbit hole to explore. Honestly I just figured I’d join look at a few cool chips and buy some them you start looking into the custom chips, etc and it makes your head spin.

I’ll tell you what, I had no idea poker chips were such a rabbit hole to explore. Honestly I just figured I’d join look at a few cool chips and buy some them you start looking into the custom chips, etc and it makes your head spin.

Try a 5k tourney.....here are some variations of 5k chip starting stacks. I like 12x 25, 12x 100, 5x 500, 1x 1000 most
1s8sBF6 - Imgur(1).jpg

I find anything more than 5k with rebuys using a T25 structure takes too long. 1 table t25, 5k tourney takes approx 3-3.5hrs with a handful of rebuys. There are guides on this store for t25 blinds....and instructions for colour up.

Try a 5k tourney.....here are some variations of 5k chip starting stacks. I like 12x 25, 12x 100, 5x 500, 1x 1000 most
View attachment 1027430

I find anything more than 5k with rebuys using a T25 structure takes too long. 1 table t25, 5k tourney takes approx 3-3.5hrs with a handful of rebuys. There are guides on this store for t25 blinds....and instructions for colour up.
Thanks Phil, that structure actually sounds perfect for what I’m looking for

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom