I am no longer doing designs (2 Viewers)

p5woody

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
The abridged version - I am no longer doing designs

The rest of the story:
With a heavy heart, I am letting everybody know I am out of the design business. I'm not a vendor and have never advertised myself as a designer but a lot of you over the years have asked for my help with designs. It has been a true pleasure and I have loved being able to help create some great poker stuff. However, as they say all good things must end. My journey in poker chips designs started 12 years ago, I have learned a lot and met some great people along the way. I will still be around doing some artwork here and there, but probably just stuff for meetups, maybe some GBs stuff, and a few miscellaneous things. I will finish current designs and support any of my previous designs but I am not taking any new request.

I started doing designs to help people and I did everything for free. I did this to give back to the community, because I felt it was a great community and the people were very helpful to each other. I used my software to help were I could. To this day, I still never charge and tell people to donate whatever they can afford/think my designs are worth. I never got rich doing this, but it allowed me to buy some poker stuff, pay for software, and take my wife out to dinner a few times. I don't want to turn it into a business and I still give away a lot of artwork for free.

However, things have changed at least from my point of view. I won't get into specifics, I don't feel the sense of community anymore, it seems more about making money and complaining. I know a lot of good is still happening (probably even more behind the scenes), just too much of the bad stuff is hiding the good stuff. In addition, the way I currently charge for designs is not working with the current forum makeup. If I wanted to continue doing designs I would have to start charging a fee upfront and limit the number of mockups. As I stated before I don't want to turn this into a business, I have a day job for that. So I am out :(

For those that like pron, I will close with a picture of my very first design. I want to thank @ttttubby for helping me get started many years ago.

IMG_0877.JPG

Steve,
I want to wish you the best of luck and life going forward. I’ve been very fortunate getting to meet you at a couple of different meet ups and you are just down right great people my friend.

Hope to still get to splash some pots with you again at some point in the future.
Take care my friend,
Matt/Tuna

Never had the pleasure to speak or work with you directly but definitely have been the beneficiary of some of your art from all the various samples I have collected since joining last year. Thanks for your contribution. Im sure your creativity will be missed!

Last edited:
I am sad I will never have a p5woody set, your designs have always been top notch and very inventive. I am working with my brother on a design and I am just being a negative Nelly about things, and he's my brother so I can only imagine what you deal with from forum friends.
I don't know if you ever have discussed design techniques, but it would be good to know what works well and what does not when trying to fit all the wants of the client into a 1 inch space. I am sure what looks great on paper does not always translate to a good inlay.
Sorry that you have had to come to this decision, glad we might still see occasional masterpieces from you.
T

Steve,

You playing at @Seeking Alpha Social Club meet up? If so, which days? Dinner/drinks is on me one of those nights. I fucking appreciate all the shit that you have done for me.

As you well know, I hate the "pay me whatever you want" line lol...........Whatever I pay you doesn't ever feel like enough.
Yep, I still plan on making that meetup. I will arrive Friday (assuming early afternoon) and leave Sunday. I'm looking forward to it.

Steve, thank you for all the great designs you have made for me personally, PCF, and all the group buys we have done. It was a pleasure working with you every step of the way.

Thanks buddy!

Woody - it was a pleasure to work with you on the Union Station / Old School group buy. You are a wizard with the BJ v7 style designs! So many great sets out there that you’ve created.

Hopefully, we’ll have a chance to have a drink one day at a meet up!

To echoe the sentiments of a few others, I've never had the pleasure of working with you @p5woody, but your work speaks for itself!

In my experience, great design artists are hard to find and, unfortunately, greatly undervalued and underappreciated. Thanks for all the work you've contributed to this community over the years!

Steve
I haven't had the pleasure of working with you on a design but love your GB work.
Hope to see you again at a future meetup.
You'll be missed

Your talent will be missed, and the community did it to itself. We are all appreciative of what you've done for the chipping world, Steve.

All hail the hybrids king!

Thank you for all you have done for the community and for the designs you have created for me (*so* excited to get my B-mold customs!!). You're an amazing artist. I was hoping to work with you on a few more projects, but I totally understand your decision. You leave quite a legacy.

Thank you for your immeasurable contribution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom