How would you rule...? (1 Viewer)

Well, logic would dictate that it follows the normal rules for dealing a flop, turn, and river..... with a burn card before each betting round deal. Dunno how else one could interpret it.... UNLESS.... there are written rules in place dictating otherwise.
This. Not everything has to turn in to an argument.

I'm surprised no one else said anything about the turn. I'd kill both boards and deal out a complete new one and start the river action! :)

This. Not everything has to turn in to an argument.
Then why should anybody argue about which river the dealer should have dealt first?
Especially when it followed the same order in which the dealer dealt the turns?
Honestly I don’t think there’s any good solution to this.
I’m not saying that moving that 9 to the top board is a horrible solution, I’m just not sure it’s any better than leaving it where it is.

Then why should anybody argue about which river the dealer should have dealt first?
Agreed, - nobody should argue. Logic would dictate that the first-dealt flop gets the first-dealt turn, and the first-dealt river.

Especially when it followed the same order in which the dealer dealt the turns?
The fact that the turn was dealt in error has (or should have) no bearing on properly dealing the river card(s), regardless of what game is being played. The underlying basis of the rules is always to minimize the effect of any error on the natural distribution of cards.

I am mildly interested in the status of the dealer in the hand. Is he folded or does he have a live hand?

It is imperative that the dealer with a live hand never gets to "decide" which board gets the first card any time during the hand. We don't know that the dealer got to see the card before it was placed, but it wouldn't be very hard for that to happen. A few tenths of a second would be enough advance notice in many cases to decide "good card" vs "bad card". The dealer wouldn't even have to have improper intent - dreaming of a heart, sees one as he peels off the first turn card and plops it down as needed all without thinking "I'll take advantage of the situation".

Host needs to keep a careful eye on the table(s) playing circus games. The variety of games can boggle the minds of many players, much less the guy acting as the dealer for this particular hand.

I think the turn is a done deal and not subject to revision. I am not swayed by guidelines for how many actions it takes - two or three or more. Once the betting round is over, that street stays. The river error must be corrected. Objections were raised and there is no reason not to rectify the mistake. "We did it otherwise the prior street" is not a reason to do it wrong on the next street too.

I would not kill the hand. Host must make every effort not to allow situations to arise that allows any dealer (much less one with an interest in the hand) to make a mistake that kills the hand. The potential for abuse, while perhaps unlikely, is a great threat to the game should it come to pass. There are special cases where there isn't a better alternative to killing the hand - fouled deck, cheating, two or more decks making up part of the board, etc. - but those ought to be ultra rare events.

DrStrange

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one else said anything about the turn. :)

^ This.

The whole table failed you if the majority saw the incorrect deal, but no one said anything until after acting on their hand?

2-3 From Robert's

"The proper time to draw attention to an error or irregularity is when it occurs or is first noticed. Any delay may affect the ruling."

http://www.pokercoach.us/robspkrrules4.htm

If nobody said anything at the time it happened, proceed as if it didn't happen. (Sorry that your back was turned @Trihonda and you missed the opportunity to correct the issue. But thumbs up for getting the answer right.)

I am mildly interested in the status of the dealer in the hand. Is he folded or does he have a live hand?

It is imperative that the dealer with a live hand never gets to "decide" which board gets the first card any time during the hand. We don't know that the dealer got to see the card before it was placed, but it wouldn't be very hard for that to happen.

DrStrange

This got me to thinking, maybe as a procedure to prevent this it might be a good idea to put the board cards face down in place and then reveal?

To be clear, I am not discussing pre-burning. (I HATE PRE-BURNING), I am saying action close, dealer raps, burn, deal one card face down to each board, then turn each card up.

This would allow for an extra moment to correct any mistakes before any cards are revealed and prevent the possibility of benefiting from glimpses?

Yes, this would be slower, but if you're playing double board games in the first place, you don't care about speed :p.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom