How to design custom chips?? (1 Viewer)

YesDawg11

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Looking to learn how to design chips, been using inkscape

Any written/video material on how to do this?
Can’t find anything when searching on yt and the internet, and am a little lost in this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Does one simply have to be a professional at graphics to get it done, or is it possible to be self taught?

It's possible to be self taught, but for most, the eyes and fine hand of a proper designer can't hurt.

I'm not a designer by trade, but a job I had for six months was assisting a scientist with the images for a book he was publishing. I already had some experience with Photoshop (something he didn't have) but the experience of working with the folks at the publishing house and seeing how they handled art and images helped me learn how to create publishable works.

I've done all the inlays for all five custom designs I've had made, but I wouldn't have tried without that knowledge in hand already.

A different answer to your question. Inlays and designs don't just appear out of thin air. You need a concept, idea or a theme to work around. That has to come long before you even put pixels to a piece of software. After a ballpark concept in my mind, most of my designs start out with sketches and doodles on scraps of paper or cocktail napkins. I find it easier to rough out an idea in an analog form like that long before I head to software.

Last edited:
It’s like asking, “Do I need to hire a carpenter or can I build a chair by myself?”
The answer is, yes you can. And the journey to a finished product can be very rewarding. But you’ll need to invest lots of time and energy learning the tools and getting the experience.
After all that, if you’re happy with the result, you’ll have a product that you can use that is 100% self-made.
But I think most folks don’t want to go through all that and hire someone else to to the design under their direction.
If you decide to go it in your own, there’s lots of resources online for learning the software. Also, posting your designs here will get lots of great feedback from other members. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, you surely do not need to be a professional, although having experience definitely helps.
From my experience ( but granted I do have commercial graphic design experience) what I did is first went to Paulson poker chip design tool to get understanding what common chip spots are, colors etc. What works well with what is a personal preference to a degree + getting feedback from the forum helps as well (when it comes to dirty stacks potential for example).

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/pcf/pokerchiptool/

Once I had the colours pinned down I took it to Illustrator and vectorised, created the inlay, made final touches and colour adjustments for print.
For that part you need some experience with the program or time & dedication to sit through youtube tutorials.

I used ms paint. Old fashioned simple and underground. I love the result.

Thanks to all of the members who contributed to final design submissions and modifying my work to make my custom sets a reality.

Hey, you surely do not need to be a professional, although having experience definitely helps.
From my experience ( but granted I do have commercial graphic design experience) what I did is first went to Paulson poker chip design tool to get understanding what common chip spots are, colors etc. What works well with what is a personal preference to a degree + getting feedback from the forum helps as well (when it comes to dirty stacks potential for example).

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/pcf/pokerchiptool/

Once I had the colours pinned down I took it to Illustrator and vectorised, created the inlay, made final touches and colour adjustments for print.
For that part you need some experience with the program or time & dedication to sit through youtube tutorials.
What kind of yt turorials?
Anything you could recommend?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom