HOW-TO: Build a 24" Poker Drink Cart / Food Cart / Side Table (1 Viewer)

Painted and ready to go!!!

IMG_20160914_175920-600x800.jpg

What kind/brand of paint and primer did you use. Planning to paint mine this weekend and buy materials for a second one

Nice! Now to do it 3 more times.

Having a hard time thinking about that right now!! :eek::confused:eek:_O:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

What kind/brand of paint and primer did you use. Planning to paint mine this weekend and buy materials for a second one

Everything was Rustoleum Painter's Touch.

I used gray spray primer and quickly regretted it... It just took way too much spray paint (but gave a smooth finish). Switched to brush application for the top coat SemiGloss Black, and super fine sanded between coats. If I were to do it again I'd use brush paint from beginning to end.

IMG_20160914_184633-800x600.jpg

Wipe down with a damp cloth after sanding to clean up the dust. And don't forget the tack-cloth for a good once over before the next coat.

Having a hard time thinking about that right now!! :eek::confused:eek:_O:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Everything was Rustoleum Painter's Touch.

I used gray spray primer and quickly regretted it... It just took way too much spray paint (but gave a smooth finish). Switched to brush application for the top coat SemiGloss Black, and super fine sanded between coats. If I were to do it again I'd use brush paint from beginning to end.

View attachment 55954

Wipe down with a damp cloth after sanding to clean up the dust. And don't forget the tack-cloth for a good once over before the next coat.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

I have built six of these from my own design which is surprisingly similar to this build thread. However, I am not really pleased with the finish. I used a satin black spray paint from the can. Not good.

I brush painted the first two and they are aweful.

So what’s the secret to getting a nice smooth painted surface? I know surface prep is key. Clearly I don’t know squat about paint finishing.

I used this black lacquer spray paint on a poker table base and got a good shiny smooth surface. It’s held up really well, but not sure how well it would work on a table with drinks on it.

Attachments

• 279C0405-CAA0-49DD-B3BE-4F6706245475.jpeg
    279C0405-CAA0-49DD-B3BE-4F6706245475.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 230
This post inspired me to try making a few of these myself. After a few done in pine, I leveled up to using Red Oak...I used pocket holes on the interior surfaces, and ran a palm router around the top to smooth the edges out a bit.
20190610_170917.jpg20190610_170924.jpg20190610_170931.jpg20190610_170938.jpg

EDIT: I used a 6' Red Oak board, and a 6" wide Red Oak board for the top and bottom braces on the back (both from Lowes). After sanding, went over it once with a stain (just to bring out some of the grain), and two coats of clear polyurethane.

Looks great! If you make more, see if you can find a local lumber supplier and buy there as they'll price in board feet, not linear dimensions as they do at the box stores. You'll save a lot in material costs.

What would someone suggest using if you have carpet and the wheels wont work?
I've probably built a dozen carts, both for myself and for friends. After the first couple had trouble rolling on carpet, I switched over to using these casters, and they roll just fine on 'normal' household or hotel room carpet:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RSG1HR
619iOzmzWsL._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks for the plans! I’ll be building 5 of these soon. Just wondering if 24” is the ideal height, or if anyone recommends going taller or shorter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom