Tourney How do you host a tournament home game? (1 Viewer)

ATLarchip

Straight
Reaction score
Is there a thread or article on how to host a home tournament game for dummies (me)?

I’m looking to host my first tournament home game soon, the only problem is that I’ve never played in a tournament before. Primarily just played micro-cash games. So I’m wondering, how does it all work? When does the blinds go up, and by how much? Is there a way to keep the games short so that people getting knocked out doesn’t have to wait that long for another round? We are not very experienced, just like to get together and hang out, about 7 of us. So I’d like to keep everyone engaged without having them needing a huge bankroll. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

@BGinGA...

Basics --
When does the blinds go up,
Blinds go up in regular intervals which you determine before tournament starts
and by how much?
Blind levels also predetermined before you start
Is there a way to keep the games short so that people getting knocked out doesn’t have to wait that long for another round?
By choosing blind levels and intervals in a sensible way. There's some basic math and rules of thumb to follow to this. E.g. how big the big blind in your final level (when you want the tournament to end) should be in relation to total # of chips in play, how big the blind increases should be from level to level.

Last edited:
Basic Guidelines:
1. Optimal BB is 100-200
2. Consistent bind level transitions, for beginner-to-intermediates I suggest blind levels like 25/50 then 25/75 then 50/100 and so on
3. Optimal number of chips per player, 30 to 50
4. Colour-up armaments should be using the chip that will be available all the time and become your slaves toward the endgame, not gradually as it reduces set versatility and you would end up buying more chips than you actually really need.

You should come play with us, and get some first-hand experience. No better way to learn than to tap into an existing reservoir of knowledge. :)

Shoot me a pm -- our league''s new season starts 4-Aug.

I don’t think it’s a great idea for a guy who’s never played in a tournament to host a tournament. I mean on the one hand, you can say what’s the worst that could happen. Fair enough. With enough preparation, it won’t be a disaster. But on the other hand, it’s almost certain that there will be bumps in the road. And as a host, I think it’s your job to provide as smooth an experience as possible for your guests. And you really can’t do that if you’ve never played in a tournament.
Just my two cents.
If you do, read here, ask questions, read some more, and have a dry run on your own. Seriously.

Always recruiting I see. I'm on to you. Wish I lived closer to be lured in too. :D
970DA6FA-70E3-4B8B-AF67-42D8A75BCBD4.gif

The bad news is that the website which contained all essential info for tourneys, concentrated and simplified for beginners, is down, because the good man who built it passed away.:(
Even more info, suitable for beginners up to post-graduates, is to be found in this forum, but it takes some systematic search.

The good news is that you seem to live in the same city with probably the world's most knowledgable person, when it comes to tourneys:)

There are some good tournament timer apps for your tablet. Play some online tourneys on to get a feel for them. And if you can play in some home tourneys, that would be your best bet.

$10k in chips

8 @ $25
8 @ $100
8 @ $500
5 @ $1000

Start blinds at 25/50 and double every 20 minutes. Throw in a few smaller increases if you want. For instance:

Level 1 - 25/50
Level 2 - 50/100
Level 3 - 75/-150
Level 4 - 100/200
Level 5 - 150/300
Level 6 - 300/600
Level 7 - 400/800
Level 8 - 600/1,200

If your crew is new to poker (ie have to be reminded it's their turn). Maybe make the levels longer.

Thats pretty much it. Have fun!

Sorry, but that's horrible advice.

Obviously, he didn't mean double every level, based on the posted tourney structure.

$10k in chips

8 @ $25
8 @ $100
8 @ $500
5 @ $1000

Start blinds at 25/50 and double every 20 minutes. Throw in a few smaller increases if you want. For instance:

Level 1 - 25/50
Level 2 - 50/100
Level 3 - 75/-150
Level 4 - 100/200
Level 5 - 150/300
Level 6 - 300/600
Level 7 - 400/800
Level 8 - 600/1,200

If your crew is new to poker (ie have to be reminded it's their turn). Maybe make the levels longer.

Even so, I would add a 125/250, and 200/400. Probably a 500/1000, too.

$10k in chips

8 @ $25
8 @ $100
8 @ $500
5 @ $1000

Level 1 - 25/50
Level 2 - 50/100
Level 3 - 75/-150
Level 4 - 100/200
Level 5 - 150/300
Level 6 - 300/600
Level 7 - 400/800
Level 8 - 600/1,200

No, no. What did I told about doubling blind levels???
Rather do this:
LV SB/BB
1 25/50
2 25/75
3 50/100
4 75/150
5 100/200
6 150/300
T25s OUT
7 200/400
8 300/600
9 400/800
10 600/1200
11 800/1600
and so on

Thanks all. This is all really good info that helps answer my questions. I think we’ll just do some dry runs and see how it goes. Trial and error. Thanks again all:)

Thanks all. This is all really good info that helps answer my questions. I think we’ll just do some dry runs and see how it goes. Trial and error. Thanks again all:)

But seriously, download a timer app for your ipad or kindle. It will help a lot! Be clear up front about the structure, and stick to it. Get yourself some rules. Don't let anyone run over you.

And when the scheduled break is over, start dealing whether players are at their seats or not. If they're not there, fold the cards, and take their blinds. (Warn them first :) )

Read my thread as a cautionary tale:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/poker-nights-should-be-more-fun-a-rant.31096/

The bad news is that the website which contained all essential info for tourneys, concentrated and simplified for beginners, is down, because the good man who built it passed away.:(
Even more info, suitable for beginners up to post-graduates, is to be found in this forum, but it takes some systematic search.

The good news is that you seem to live in the same city with probably the world's most knowledgable person, when it comes to tourneys:)
Are you talking about homepokertourney.com? I was wondering what happened to that site. I used that extensively in the beginning.

Are you talking about homepokertourney.com? I was wondering what happened to that site. I used that extensively in the beginning.

You can still access an archive of the site using the Wayback Machine: https://archive.org/web/

Here’s a snapshot of the home page from Feb 2018 - https://web.archive.org/web/20180224031523/http://homepokertourney.com/

Internal links still lead to other pages on the site. Fantastic resource!

You can still access an archive of the site using the Wayback Machine: https://archive.org/web/

Here’s a snapshot of the home page from Feb 2018 - https://web.archive.org/web/20180224031523/http://homepokertourney.com/

Internal links still lead to other pages on the site. Fantastic resource!

I'm glad someone got this link there. This should be a pretty permanent archive of the info, but for posterity we should consider making an offline dump of it. I'm not sure what the copyright situation would be, but it'd be a shame to have all of this knowledge lost for good. It helped me in many an early tournament back in the day.

I'm glad someone got this link there. This should be a pretty permanent archive of the info, but for posterity we should consider making an offline dump of it. I'm not sure what the copyright situation would be, but it'd be a shame to have all of this knowledge lost for good. It helped me in many an early tournament back in the day.

I agree. This is a wealth of information that would be great to share.

Blind Valet is great too for auto generating a tourney given certain parameters (time, chips, players, etc). I believe it's free for a 1 table tourney.

I would say go for it. If you have time to play before then do it for sure. Have any of your other players played tourney before, if so then ask them for advice/help. Everyone has to learn how to do things on their own at some time. You'll be amongst friends.....now if you told me your were gonna do four or five tables then that's another story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom