How do you guys feel about people copying your custom themes/chip names/designs/etc? (2 Viewers)

For what it’s worth, ive done one custom set from CPC. In the very very beginning I wanted to get some feedback about some ideas, and I shared some ideas and got some feedback, but once I was actually hashing it out and committing to colors and finalizing the designs, I didn’t share the work at all, partially because I love the chip color combos and I don’t want to “reveal” my customs informally.

They came out pretty great, especially for my first try at it… but I received them about a year ago, and still haven’t even taken a picture yet…

There’s a big difference between talking about an idea for customs, and pulling the trigger and committing to them. if you do anything noteworthy you will get some respect and mentions for the inspiration… if you just make a Jpeg with some idea, it very well could become someone else’s idea very quickly… then it’s a race haha.

@silks who got banned for copying on CT and blatantly denied it.

Last edited:
Unless you are running a card room I’m not worried about someone copying my design. The inlay is still custom and is different to recreate. CPC is not letting anyone order your inlay design.
Yeah, I'm not running any operations lmfao

There's lots of good feedback on this thread so far, just watching and reading!

I never posted them anywhere - it's fairy dust at this point, and was an example.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to post my designs, but don't want people stealing them. (In the future)
It’s annoying when this happens - back in 1971 I had a great idea for a phone you could carry around and would communicate anywhere in the world via satellites. I never told anyone, but somehow they found out my idea and look where we are now! Still pisses me off anytime I see someone with a cell phone.

It’s annoying when this happens - back in 1971 I had a great idea for a phone you could carry around and would communicate anywhere in the world via satellites. I never told anyone, but somehow they found out my idea and look where we are now! Still pisses me off anytime I see someone with a cell phone.
1716479969547.jpeg

Considering the time invested and personal connection to the theme, I'd be kinda pissed and would want it stopped, if possible. The first thing I would do is contact the artist whose art I stole and rat out that bastard who is using their IP without permission.

Considering the time invested and personal connection to the theme, I'd be kinda pissed and would want it stopped, if possible. The first thing I would do is contact the artist whose art I stole and rat out that bastard who is using their IP without permission.
Feel like if someone's willing to steal your art... they have no desire to reveal themselves to you, and if they do, it's got to be an attempt at pissing you off or some other weird personal thing.

And four putt poker was born…
I don't know how serious the buyer was in this scenario, could've been a test to see if the vendor is willing to replicate for profits. At the end of the day, it's good the vendor wanted to protect their customer's investment.

Love this so much:

Dear all of PCF:

IMG_0315.gif

The longer I look, the worse it gets... that's wild

EDIT: The design of the original set is awesome, to make that clear (speaking on the temu label above)

Attachments

• 1716483466893.png
    1716483466893.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2024-05-23 125726.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-23 125726.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 71
obviously a lie, you should have lead with @travelgirl gave me an idea for … we might have believed you

I never posted them anywhere. But the designs were not at all similar.

If I remember correctly, mine was all drawn out mountains in full color, with a New Hampshire-esque environment. Stream running through it, etc.
If yours was a completely different design and just used the same name, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go forward with it. If you are concerned that @AK Chip might be upset about it, then just reach out to him and have a discussion.

You've been here exactly 10 days. You put a lot of effort into something, apparently long before you even joined PCF, and yet you are this will to just scrap it? Sorry, but something about this doesn't compute.

If yours was a completely different design and just used the same name, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go forward with it. If you are concerned that @AK Chip might be upset about it, then just reach out to him and have a discussion.

You've been here exactly 10 days. You put a lot of effort into something, apparently long before you even joined PCF, and yet you are this will to just scrap it? Sorry, but something about this doesn't compute.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-hampsha.119676/

Also, like I've said before... the design and name was an example. I'm not using something that's not original to my standard.

I also did PM him regarding the post, and he didn't respond, but looked at it. So that's a message in itself. :tup:

It’s ironic that most people here would fight to keep somebody from copying another member’s chips, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem to copy anything else in the world.
Not even a little bit ironic. I am far more loyal to my friends than to some corporation.

From what I've gathered:

Don't post artwork you don't want stolen.
You can't get mad over edge spot colors and patterns.
If you say your idea to the world, and see someone else use it - you did a good job.

From what I've gathered:

Don't post artwork you don't want stolen.
You can't get mad over edge spot colors and patterns.
If you say your idea to the world, and see someone else use it - you did a good job.
Here is the number one rule in all of chipping (which is hard for a lot of people to adhere to for whatever reason):

"Don't be a c*nt."

When it comes to customs, being one can include, but is not limited to, intentionally copying something someone else did without asking or having permission, knowingly ripping off an overall design or chip without even trying to be original/unique despite millions of different combinations available in customizing chips, ignoring people saying it is a frowned upon practice, thinking your 500th mock of a set that isn't actually going to happen means you own everything tangentially related to it, dismissing people's issues because your friends have done it or because your own opinion is more valuable, and so on.

Another way to phrase it is, "operate in good faith at all times", but that's just not as fun to say.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom