Hot Dog Roller Pron (6 Viewers)

Holy crap, there are still Open Pantry stores open?
Yeah, there's still a handful of them here in Wisconsin. So many of them were embedded in neighborhoods not zoned for development, so the major players aren't interested, especially if there aren't gas pumps already outside. As time has gone on, most of them have been bought out by individuals who rebrand and run them as convenience stores with a take out restaurant on one half, or at least that's what I see most of them transition into. Some, like the one that had the bun warmer, linked up with places like Subway. But there is a dynamite gyro place/liqour store that opened up in one of them by our house, so some good has come from the change

For those of you that have a hot dog roller with bun warmer tray...how do you keep the bread from drying out? Lower heat, aluminum foil, cooling rack inside the tray?!

1000052820.jpg

Anyone used / reviews on the Gold Medal Lil Diggity? Still on the fence which way to go Lil Diggity - Olde Midway - Generic...

Attachments

• 231-8024sl.jpg
    231-8024sl.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 25
You can cook a whole mess of hot dogs in a crock pot. Obviously the rollers win for style points, but does a roller grilled hot dog have advantages over a crockpot cooked dog?
We used to do that for work back in the day. Crock pot + a few cans of chili + hot dogs + simmer for a few hours + cheese and onions = YUM!

We used to do that for work back in the day. Crock pot + a few cans of chili + hot dogs + simmer for a few hours + cheese and onions = YUM!
Wow, that’s an old quote. As a guy who now owns a roller, I’ll answer my own question- yes, a roller is better because it browns the dogs; a crockpot will never do that.
But you definitely get points for the chili hack.

OK so I've narrowed it down to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Electric-Removable-Stainless-Restaurant/dp/B0BKZJJ9PY/

and this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQRTBB7M/ref=sbl_dpx_kitchen-electric-cookware_B0BQRRT3ZG_0?th=1

Does anyone own the first one?

Why do so many of you like the Olde Midway brand? Looking at the features and reviews, they all seem to do pretty much the same thing.

The Olde Midway model is attractive because it's only 700 watts - but does that imply it's going to take longer to get up to temperature compared to units with higher power consumption? It's also $50 more than the other one.

I kind of suspect I can't go wrong either way - but if there's a reason to choose one over the other, I'd appreciate any feedback.

OK so I've narrowed it down to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Electric-Removable-Stainless-Restaurant/dp/B0BKZJJ9PY/

and this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQRTBB7M/ref=sbl_dpx_kitchen-electric-cookware_B0BQRRT3ZG_0?th=1

Why do so many of you like the Olde Midway brand? Looking at the features and reviews, they all seem to do pretty much the same thing.

The Olde Midway model is attractive because it's only 700 watts - but does that imply it's going to take longer to get up to temperature compared to units with higher power consumption? It's also $50 more than the other one.

I kind of suspect I can't go wrong either way - but if there's a reason to choose one over the other, I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old midway works. Buy it. Right meow.

Enjoy wieners.

Dang that Black looks nice!

I settled on the Olde Midway earlier this week, and did so largely because the volume of positive reviews was much higher than others. Weird, they almost all undoubtedly come from the same place, but others seem to have more 1 and 2 star reviews.

I just bought the first one, a 5 roller (see my post above). Used it twice, works fine. Haven't put on the sneeze guards yet and I might not do that. Takes a little time to clean so I like only have to clean 5 roller rather than 7 or 9.

I like the back. Nice surprise.
20240412_133603.jpg

Going to buy some stickers and spell out "Is a hot dog a sandwich?"

Last edited:

I don’t have either brand - mine is a Grand Slam 18 dog roller, which has been perfect for me. I think I chose that size because it was the biggest you could get without pulling too many amps?

Anyway, I only reply to tell you to reconsider the sneeze guard. They’re pretty expensive and they seem useless in the at-home-serve-yourself situation. They’re set up to protect from germs coming at them from the customer side, but that’s not how you’ll be using it.
And they’re not really removable - the brackets that hold them together also need to be screwed into the base. This makes it difficult to clean, as well as making it harder to clean the rollers and difficult to transport.

Moxie's first link - the sneeze guards come with it standard, no extra charge. I doubt I'll install mine, but looks like just 4 screws to remove it.

Moxie's first link - the sneeze guards come with it standard, no extra charge. I doubt I'll install mine, but looks like just 4 screws to remove it.
Okay but that glass isn’t free - it’s built into the cost somewhere. Maybe it’s a lower quality unit or maybe it’s just a better deal, I dunno.

As far as 4 screws go, yeah, but they’re screws, not bolts, so do you really want to be removing them and screwing them back on, every time you want to clean the thing?

Also (and they may all be built differently, who knows) I feel like when I put mine together, I think I realized that removing the sneeze guard meant disassembling the sneeze guard? I dunno, but I quickly decided there was no reason to be dealing with that glass.

Team Midway also - easy to clean and rock solid. Never had a problem with temperature - it just works every time.

I went with the Ball Park Angus Beef from BJs for my first time trying out the roller the other day. Great prices and you get 16 buns in a BJs pack.

I'm team midway, but a little biased since I have that brand. No hotdog bun warmer?
I'm kind of indifferent to the idea of a warmer. I have a microwave that people can use if they want to nuke their buns for 10 secs.
I just bought the first one, a 5 roller (see my post above). Used it twice, works fine. Haven't put on the sneeze guards yet and I might not do that. Takes a little time to clean so I like only have to clean 5 roller rather than 7 or 9.
I think I'm going to get this one because it's cheaper. I see the power consumption on yours is 750w - how long does it take to get up to temp?

Okay but that glass isn’t free - it’s built into the cost somewhere. Maybe it’s a lower quality unit or maybe it’s just a better deal, I dunno.

As far as 4 screws go, yeah, but they’re screws, not bolts, so do you really want to be removing them and screwing them back on, every time you want to clean the thing?

Also (and they may all be built differently, who knows) I feel like when I put mine together, I think I realized that removing the sneeze guard meant disassembling the sneeze guard? I dunno, but I quickly decided there was no reason to be dealing with that glass.
Anyway, I only reply to tell you to reconsider the sneeze guard. They’re pretty expensive and they seem useless in the at-home-serve-yourself situation. They’re set up to protect from germs coming at them from the customer side, but that’s not how you’ll be using it.
I like the idea of it because my poker games routinely attract 30 people to the room... and for some reason it gets a little dusty in there. That said, I'm operating under the assumption that I can leave them off if they're too much of a PITA to deal with.

As to cleaning - I have minions for that (even if all they want to do is stare at their phones & tablets).

PXL_20220911_010157461.MP.jpg

"I think I'm going to get this one because it's cheaper. I see the power consumption on yours is 750w - how long does it take to get up to temp?"

It says 1000w. I haven't timed it yet, but on 250F it's 15 mins or less, maybe 12. 250F is the highest setting and it's fine. You could bring them up to room temperature first and it should take less time.

Looking at the Midway 5 roller it's 700w, but goes beyond 450F setting. That's overkill to me.

Eat all the dogs that night. Leftover dogs on these are like rubber according to my wife.

I looked at the images more closely. So the front 2 rollers are in the back if you are facing it and the 3 back rollers are in the front. I thought that would be the other way around unless they got it wrong. Glad I looked at it.

Last edited:
Sorry for spamming the thread today; but would I need the 7 roller for my group of 10 players, or could I get away with just a 5 roller? How many dogs fit on each at a time??

Sorry for spamming the thread today; but would I need the 7 roller for my group of 10 players, or could I get away with just a 5 roller? How many dogs fit on each at a time??
I think you need 7. 3 standard size dogs per row, so a 7 roller holds 18. I figure an average 2 dog per person budget is a good starting point (only because some people won’t eat any) but always be reloading!

I routinely have 25-30 people at my place so I went with the 7-roller. I figure I'll throw about 10 on 1/2 hr before people arrive and add more throughout the night if people want them.

From the pictures, it looks like the 5-roller unit would hold around 12 dogs? Should be plenty for 10 people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom