Hosting a home game, do you serve food to your guests. (1 Viewer)

When hosting a home game, do you serve food to your guests.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to provide snacks, soda, and beer when hosting my own group, but that kind of fell apart a couple years ago. The last 18 months or so, I've been playing most weekends with a different group that I joined, and the regular host always provides dinner.

So when I host this group, I do the same. It's Friday and I work so nothing fancy - hot dogs on the roller, sloppy joes, pulled pork, tacos, that type of thing. But to date no one has ever complained.

As the forums might know I was not a food game until several weeks ago when I spread a tournament and felt it was the right thing to do. I borrowed a roller for dogs from another forum member and away we went.

Up until then I had water, a nice selection of pop, single size bags of chips, a bowl of mini candy bars and a couple dozen Dunkin’ Donuts. The donuts are comped because my wife is a big shot with them.

After the tourney I was convinced that food was the next logical step in the evolution of my game.

I host weekly so there’s no chance I’m footing the bill for food. I was alright with what I mentioned above as my pre/tourney food philosophy.
Now with weekly dogs and three pounds of pulled pork I feel I’m best serving my players and my game. This week is Game 100 (in 18 months). It’ll be a two table cash game with 18 commits. I’ll do all the little stuff and beverages, the hot dogs, pulled pork, shredded buffalo chicken and sloppy joes. The last three items and the hot dogs I guess are bun-worthy.

Now, I’m not paying for this. I don’t need friends bad enough to trick them into coming into an awesome poker room that I decorated, play with high end, rotating chip sets that I bought from some of you, and play on two home beautiful home-built tables that run about $6-700 in materials to build. On top of the tidying and primping of the area, snow removal for parking in winter and all the set up and clean up from a weekly game. Not happening.

So I told them; tip the house. As long as tips cover the food, the food stays. I remind them multiple times each night. I have multiple ways to tip. There’s signage. There’s the PSA hourly on the juke box. So far tips have well-covered the food

I come from a background of tipping the game. Even if there’s no food, I tip. Less if I’m stuck and more if I play ahead.

If you host weekly and feed your players like I mentioned above and don’t encourage, insist on people tipping then you’re either rich or like to enable unthankful players.

That is all.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN (The Venue)
*The Executive Game, Eagan MN (Current Game)
*Frogtown Card Club, St. Paul (Retired)
*The Poker Family (Our Philosophy)
I did a tip box the same way you describe for several years. Then the tip amount slowly diminished until one night there was a single $10 bill. I was tired of reminding and sounded like a television evangelist.

That next game I introduced the hospitality fee. Every month I take $20 per player, it covers the food, beer, nitro cold brew coffee, and whiskey. It also covers any pickup cash game hosted in between monthly league games.

I'll never go back. Good luck with your system, I hope it works better for you in the long term.

I did a tip box the same way you describe for several years. Then the tip amount slowly diminished until one night there was a single $10 bill. I was tired of reminding and sounded like a television evangelist.

That next game I introduced the hospitality fee. Every month I take $20 per player, it covers the food, beer, nitro cold brew coffee, and whiskey. It also covers any pickup cash game hosted in between monthly league games.

I'll never go back. Good luck with your system, I hope it works better for you in the long term.
If I did any sort of flat fee it would just be “seat or “threshold” fee. You sit or cross the threshold and it’s, say, $5. I’d cap my food bill at $50 a game for single table nights and probably start factoring in all the wares (not the donuts - they’re a huge hit and I don’t pay for them.

I appreciate the feedback and it gives me something to think about. It would be weekly versus monthly with the slight undulation in who’s at the table. Also, my players are well-conditioned, pretty cool, and so far they get it. I have a couple that kick a minimum and say if they’re ahead $100 they’ll drop a $20.

To food or not to food, that is the question.

I say food and train them.

At a restaurant you tip and that’s that right?

Funny thing is almost none of any hosts players would willingly do what we regular hosts do.

Now, I’m not paying for this. I don’t need friends bad enough to trick them into coming into an awesome poker room that I decorated, play with high end, rotating chip sets that I bought from some of you, and play on two home beautiful home-built tables that run about $6-700 in materials to build. On top of the tidying and primping of the area, snow removal for parking in winter and all the set up and clean up from a weekly game. Not happening.

So I told them; tip the house. As long as tips cover the food, the food stays. I remind them multiple times each night. I have multiple ways to tip. There’s signage. There’s the PSA hourly on the juke box. So far tips have well-covered the food
Whatever works for your game and your friends is fine for you. But this stuff leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I absolutely appreciate what goes into hosting, so I’ll always leave some kind of tip at somebody else’s game whether I eat their food or not. But if I had to hear an hourly reminder to tip, on top of seeing signage, I’d feel a lot less greatful about the gracious host. Maybe it’s just me, but the constant reminders are a serious turnoff.
If it’s that important, then as both a guest and as a host, I’d feel a whole lot better about things if it was just called a mandatory hospitality fee and that was the end of it.

Oh and the snow removal thing? I’m kind of aghast. I take pride in moving extra snow so my guests have a place to park. To me, it’s like mowing the lawn. And I’d never expect my guests to pay for that. But then again, I’m not running a business. Maybe you guys who host multiple tables have to look at it like a business. Maybe that’s one reason why I’ve never considered it.

I just supply hotdogs, soda, and water. Sometimes people bring stuff. I usually get soda when it's on sale for a buy 2 get 2 free (or 3 free), and stock up. A case of water at costco is $5, and hotdogs and buns are about $20. I'm usually $40 into a poker night, and generally get that back in bounties people give me, or rounding up cash stacks at the end of the night. It's worked for me for a few years now, so I'll stick with that.

One month, I didn't want hot dogs and ordered pizza. cost me over $200, but I didn't ask anyone for money. I never will

We play Fridays 7pm, almost all works, some late reg so it is a PITA to get everyone order what they need. Too much entropy.

So we make (great home cooked) food for everyone (+drinks, beer) and ask 5€ to cover the costs (it is a no rake game).
Poker => Food around 8/9pm => poker.

5€ upfront with the buyin.

Everyone is really happy and we suspect that some comes on friday only for the food and not for the poker.
But we are good chef, so that make sense :cool

Last edited:
I offer pizzas, salad, popcorn or chips, some candy, some fruit, coffee, soda, and beer. Also keep a bottle of decent whiskey on hand. (Rarely gets touched.)

The cost with other incidentals that get replenished periodically (napkins, paper plates etc.) is about $100-$120 per session.

This is for a 2/5 game. The game was 100% unraked, with players asked to contribute toward the food/drink voluntarily, whatever amount they wished.

What happened over time was that a couple players were generous ($20), a couple good ($10), and the other half not remembering unless nagged.

Recently we’ve adopted the practice used in another local game of taking $20 out of pots $400 or larger, stoppingh once a total of $100 is achieved. Anyone who objects can opt out.

But no one has; and in an anonymous poll of my whole list this was the players’ nearly unanimous preference.

People seem to like this arrangement because it means the winners of the night are carrying the food cost. Over time it pretty much evens out… It also keeps 99% of hands totally unraked. Probably wouldn’t stand up in court, but it works for my group.

The other option would be to just take 10 off the top of each player’s initial buyin, which would leave me a bit short… but that would be trivial in the context of a Gorilla table and custom THCs…

Whatever works for your game and your friends is fine for you. But this stuff leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I absolutely appreciate what goes into hosting, so I’ll always leave some kind of tip at somebody else’s game whether I eat their food or not. But if I had to hear an hourly reminder to tip, on top of seeing signage, I’d feel a lot less greatful about the gracious host. Maybe it’s just me, but the constant reminders are a serious turnoff.
If it’s that important, then as both a guest and as a host, I’d feel a whole lot better about things if it was just called a mandatory hospitality fee and that was the end of it.

Oh and the snow removal thing? I’m kind of aghast. I take pride in moving extra snow so my guests have a place to park. To me, it’s like mowing the lawn. And I’d never expect my guests to pay for that. But then again, I’m not running a business. Maybe you guys who host multiple tables have to look at it like a business. Maybe that’s one reason why I’ve never considered it.
You’re as entitled to your thoughts on the matter as I am to respect them.

Play on players.

And again, as much as you are distraught over the signage (it’s at cash registers etc all over the world) and the sort of tongue in cheek reminder that I’m not their mother, I would not charge a mandatory fee because some people don’t partake. Those that do, heavily (Mad Max I’m looking at you and your two hot dogs in one bun with a donut in the other hand) more than willingly put their money down.

I guess we’re that tight of a group and they know that I’m serious about spreading an awesome game.

I offer pizzas, salad, popcorn or chips, some candy, some fruit, coffee, soda, and beer. Also keep a bottle of decent whiskey on hand. (Rarely gets touched.)

The cost with other incidentals that get replenished periodically (napkins, paper plates etc.) is about $100-$120 per session.

This is for a 2/5 game. The game was 100% unraked, with players asked to contribute toward the food/drink voluntarily, whatever amount they wished.

What happened over time was that a couple players were generous ($20), a couple good ($10), and the other half not remembering unless nagged.

Recently we’ve adopted the practice used in another local game of taking $20 out of pots $400 or larger, stoppingh once a total of $100 is achieved. Anyone who objects can opt out.

But no one has; and in an anonymous poll of my whole list this was the players’ nearly unanimous preference.

People seem to like this arrangement because it means the winners of the night are carrying the food cost. Over time it pretty much evens out… It also keeps 99% of hands totally unraked. Probably wouldn’t stand up in court, but it works for my group.

The other option would be to just take 10 off the top of each player’s initial buyin, which would leave me a bit short… but that would be trivial in the context of a Gorilla table and custom THCs…
Listen, I knew dredging up this old thread would be entertaining and I appreciate all points of view. For the moment my crew knows if they eat and those who pay up there’ll be food in the future. A few weeks of being super short and I’ll eat in front of these guys.

They know it and they pay up.

What works for covering food costs varies from host to host and game to game. I try not to judge either way - a host can do what they think is necessary, and players can vote with their wallet and their feet.

Me personally? I don't ask for tips or a fee, and I consider myself lucky that I can cover about $50-70 worth of food and drink when I host. That said, I never turn down tips and usually get $20-50 at the end of the night.

I also get dinner leftovers, and my players will often bring a bottle or a decent six-pack and leave what they don't drink at my house. ;)

. But if I had to hear an hourly reminder to tip, on top of seeing signage, I’d feel a lot less greatful about the gracious host. Maybe it’s just me, but the constant reminders are a serious turnoff.
Well here’s the deal; I spread a weekly game. I don’t know if I want my legacy to be that of a gracious host or that of host that spreads an awesome poker game. I’ll take the latter. I hear you and I think I may overstated the reminders; there’s a sign on the receptacles and the few verbal reminders are also innocuous.

I’ve always tipped as well even games that don’t do any food or beverage. So, taking that into account, I think hosts that put out a great variety of food and beverage have every right to remind people to keep it going.

When you visit Minneapolis or MOA, hit me up. Dinner is on the house.

@merkong

So take this with a grain of salt as I have only attended about 6-8 times in the past year I think. I didn't feel like there was clamoring for food at the cash game. It starts after the dinner hour, doing soda and snacks seems to be working. I largely do the same thing and the tip money is there.

I understand you doing more for a tournament if it's a longer event. I usually organize a pizza order or something so it's not out of pocket in those cases. And I know event 100 is going to be special so I get that too.

But I don't think you have to make it the norm.

This depends on the cash game... with close friends yes it's like a party with an excuse to play some cards. If the game is the focal point then I might provide light snacks and I have homebrew on tap. Outside that it's BYOB or food as gratuity gets awkward when that one guy comes and eats all the time but never pitches in.

Tournament Bonus options during my year long season cover whatever I need to support all of my games.

I offer 500-5000 in chip bonuses for starting stacks with things like hotdogs, buns, napkins, case of soda, etc.

Players dig it, and I keep my consumables stocked up.

@merkong

So take this with a grain of salt as I have only attended about 6-8 times in the past year I think. I didn't feel like there was clamoring for food at the cash game. It starts after the dinner hour, doing soda and snacks seems to be working. I largely do the same thing and the tip money is there.

I understand you doing more for a tournament if it's a longer event. I usually organize a pizza order or something so it's not out of pocket in those cases. And I know event 100 is going to be special so I get that too.

But I don't think you have to make it the norm.
We’ve done food since the tourney and it’s been a hit. Granted, deeper and larger games will have a better offering but frequent trips to the hospitality suite are seemingly not uncommon.

In Greek culture, being a host means you provide everything.
Again, since it's something specific (poker) and I am an almost permanent host, the scheme has been modified accordingly:

-I provide refreshments and some basic quantity of booze.
People with specific needs in booze, either in quantity (ie a bottle of Scotch per person) or in variety (tequila, ice tea, fresh milk etc) must BYOB.
-Food (always without any sauce and not requiring a knife, so it can be eaten standing, with just a fork) is ordered on the spot, during a break. I buy all losers' food in the end (upon cash-out) and only let winners pay their individual share.

That is as much Protestant spirit as it can get into an Orthodox country. :)

Serve food? Like, bring it to them? Hell no they gotta go get it themselves.
And to be specific, a meal is a meal. Not snacks, bags of chips, etc. A full meal.
If a hot dog is a poor excuse for a meal isn't it still a meal? Or is it only a meal if it's a sandwich?

This is the hardest poll ever...

Serve food? Like, bring it to them? Hell no they gotta go get it themselves.

If a hot dog is a poor excuse for a meal isn't it still a meal? Or is it only a meal if it's a sandwich?

This is the hardest poll ever...
A hot dog isn’t a meal. It’s a snack. Even if you eat three of them. And it’s why I serve them. Eat your meals at home. This is a poker game, not a dinner party.

So y’all who have snacks, do you let your players eat at the table? Do your chips and cards get grimy?

So y’all who have snacks, do you let your players eat at the table? Do your chips and cards get grimy?
I pretty much limit it to chips and pretzels. Have napkins, keeps things to minimum grime. On the occasions we do pizza or sandwiches those stay fairly neat. I wouldn't be doing spaghetti night at poker any time soon.

We’ve done food since the tourney and it’s been a hit. Granted, deeper and larger games will have a better offering but frequent trips to the hospitality suite are seemingly not uncommon.
Glad it's worked out. Very much looking forward to tomorrow. But just don't want you to burn out, you have a very good thing going and that could fade once it starts to seem like work and stressing about funding it.

What I put out, I know my tips from last time covered, so I keep doing it.

Glad it's worked out. Very much looking forward to tomorrow. But just don't want you to burn out, you have a very good thing going and that could fade once it starts to seem like work and stressing about funding it.

What I put out, I know my tips from last time covered, so I keep doing it.
That is the economy of food. So, know if we’re on saltines and warm water, it was a lean week at the buckets.

You know I lean into your experiences and food is new to me in the 20 years of intermittently spreading games but the hot dog roller really does do all the heavy lifting and the pulled pork is almost as easy. And the whole spread is cheap so the bar is low and we’ve got great tippers.

Water, soda, chips, and our Dunkin Donuts will always live on even if the room tightens up. I’ll be dealing the session between cutting and eating my porterhouse and mushrooms but I’ve already touched on that.

Also, if I play ahead I’m way less worried about how the food bill makes out.

So everyone just fold to me and we’ll all keep eating good at The Godfather Club.

I’ve started running games on Sundays for friends/neighbors. So far it’s been about once a month but I hope to increase that.

I start a tournament at 2pm that is done by 6. I then serve a full Sunday gravy dinner. (Meatballs, sausage, pasta, homemade bread, salad, etc). After dinner we start a cash game that lasts till around 1am. I feel since it’s an all day event I need to serve food and as an Italian I couldn’t possibly order in.

IMG_5309.jpeg
IMG_5310.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5312.jpeg
Typical spread for my league’s tournament events. Everyone hosts one event per season and the host is responsible for provision of all food and drinks. You do it once and then free roll…works out very well and burden/cost of hosting is shared equally.

Last edited:
One time a guy got mustard on the cards. I set the deck aside and washed it the next day - thats another benefit of plastic cards.
But that's another reason I don't put out chips - I don't want to tell people not to eat them at the table and I definitely don't want them getting their greasy fingers all over everything. Keep it simple - hot dogs, drinks, fun size halloween type candy - that's about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom