Do you expect to eat a meal at a home game? (1 Viewer)

Do you expect to eat a meal at a home game?

• Yes

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 148 91.9%

• Total voters
But, me personally, no I would not expect to eat at a pokah game…just drink.
It’s funny, when I used to play the deep stack tournaments at Hampton in NH, I usually drank beer while I played. Not to get drunk, just to have something to do. Maybe like one an hour - might maintain a mild buzz. After playing for 4, 5, 6 hours, people would start ordering food. Me, I never got hungry. But I guess if you’re drinking a beer’s worth of calories per hour, they add up.

Last edited:
The games I host run 8-10-12 hours. You can bet your ass everyone is going to get hungry at some point. I put out a hot dog roller, bags of chips and cookies, drinks, and we order pizza once a night. I expect people will need to eat a meal when they come to my games.

When I go to other people's games I just ask what the situation will be - therefore I never expect anything other than what I am told.

It depends on the time the game starts for me. If it is a later start time I will eat dinner before the game. If the game starts early then I will plan to eat something at the game. It doesn’t need to be provided by the host. Most of my game start at 7:30pm which is definitely after normal dinner time. So I put out hotdogs and have chips and candy to keep the players fueled up for a long session.

On the occasion I have an earlier start time my wife will usually make something in the slow cooker that can be left out for the evening.

When sending out invites I always let players know what will be available so they can decide if the need something else before the game.

I voted no but there are exeptions when I am hosting
Only for closest "poker friends" I cook a stake or two or make pizza (not talking about takeaway).
Once I made beef wellington byt its a lot or prep.

I just realized that there are only two people I play poker with and can call "friend".

I think it depends on what time the game starts.

A start time before 7pm kinda warrants a food plan - IMO. Even if it just ordering pizza.
We start at 7:30, Friday and Saturday nights. We don’t wrap up until around 2, maybe 3am.

They’re not Boy Scouts but we get better Be Prepared.

We start at 7:30, Friday and Saturday nights. We don’t wrap up until around 2, maybe 3am.

They’re not Boy Scouts but we get better Be Prepared.
Back to back nights every week til 2-3 am?

Color me jealous. Curious on the no breaking bread but I get it for sure.

Is it the same players each night? How many of your players tip you as the host?

Is it poker associates or friends, or I guess do you see/chat with any players outside of the game?

There is no 'depends' answer choice in your poll.

Our group has been running monthly organized two-table tournaments for a long time (first one was in 2005, I think). The location rotates among four primary hosts, and there are a fair number of couples that play. And for our group's events, my answer is "Yes".

The events are typically held on Saturdays (occasionally Sundays), starting around 1 pm and usually wrapping up by midnight. Two different tournaments are held (~ 5 hours each), with a formal dinner break around 6:30 p.m. it is an all-day affair, and 11-12 hours is a long time to go without nourishment.

The host is responsible for providing snacks and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day/evening, along with s meal during the dinner break hour. This is all paid for by a 'hospitality charge', which is collected from the players with the tournament entry fees. Meals vary, and range from pizza, lasagna, steaks, burgers/dogs, bbq, chili, wings, etc., along with side dishes and dessert, but it's always byob.

Works for us, ymmv.

I don't expect to get fed when attending other poker events (unless it's announced as such beforehand), so for those circumstances, my answer is usually "No."

Hence, my best answer to the question is, "It depends."

I am really surprised with these results. I'd expect the poll to be completely reversed.

I always put a nice spread out for my home games, and the rare instance of a home game at another player's house, they do the same. Solid spread with a fully stocked bar.

I see I'm in the very small minority in this.

I am really surprised with these results. I'd expect the poll to be completely reversed.

I always put a nice spread out for my home games, and the rare instance of a home game at another player's house, they do the same. Solid spread with a fully stocked bar.

I see I'm in the very small minority in this.
I think maybe I worded it wrong. Somebody should put up another one and try again.
I asked the question because the vast majority of home games I’ve played at have not been games where people eat. But there’s so much discussion on PCF about food at games, I figured I’d ask. But these results seem way too one-sided.

I think maybe I worded it wrong. Somebody should put up another one and try again.
I asked the question because the vast majority of home games I’ve played at have not been games where people eat. But there’s so much discussion on PCF about food at games, I figured I’d ask. But these results seem way too one-sided.
That's a solid idea. I'll post a new poll asking if the host has a spread.

The wording sounds a little like it’s on the host to feed people. I would never “expect” the host to feed me, but appreciate any sort of spread to snack on during the game - even if it’s like pretzels & water.

It would be weird if the game ran long (4+ hours), and the host didn’t even allow food to be delivered to the game, though. Usually the “everyone chip in for pizza” thing works fine.

Not sure where that goes on this poll, but I voted no.

That's a solid idea. I'll post a new poll asking if the host has a spread.
That wasn’t even the purpose of my question, but you do you.
I was just trying to figure out how many people prefer a real meal before or during a poker game, regardless of how it gets into their face.

That wasn’t even the purpose of my question, but you do you.
I was just trying to figure out how many people prefer a real meal before or during a poker game, regardless of how it gets into their face.
Oh. I gotcha.

Just to put my 2 cents in, every time I serve a meal it's a distraction from the game. I've done burgers, ribs, hotdogs, all sorts of grilled goodness. Stick to snacks and drinks. If the room gets hungry, they will organize a pizza delivery and the problem takes care.of itself.
Same. I used to always try to do food but my players didn’t really care. Now I just have drinks and some individually packaged snacks.

In my league, each member is responsible for hosting one event per season. The host provides the location and all food and beverages for everyone. People show up hungry and thirsty but they do get there early before the game starts for their first run through the food. Once we start playing we do not break to eat a formal meal so there is just grazing after that on breaks. It is a very social game and each host has their own style and spread. Basically you take the hit once every 15 months and all your needs are handled at the other 14 events (edit—actually 15 events unless you are the league loser who is punished for sucking at poker by having to host the final tournament of the season as well…lol). It works very well and no one can be a “mooch”. Also people show up not just on time, but early because they want to eat before our strict start time. I always laugh a little when I see people giving out bonus chips for players being on-time. Never been a problem with us.

Outside the league, I would not expect someone else to provide me with anything and would bring my own provisions unless I was asked to pay a hospitality fee or chip in for something for the game.

Last edited:
We do usually play extended sessions that span one or more typical meal times, and in the past we've ad hoc the food. Host would generally provide some snacks and some drinks, everyone BYOB and BYOS(nacks) and then collectively we might order pizza or whatever.

One of our hosts lives ~1 hour away from the rest of the regular players. He will usually treat the group to a "real" meal (Chinese or Thai food, or BBQ, or something) because he likes the convenience of not driving.

More recently, another regular host has started buying dinner for the session. Usually the big winner(s) of the night offers to chip in, often the host(s) will refuse the money...

No one assumes they'll eat for free, but generally there'll be something said leading up to the game to set expectations.

Last edited:
My game generally starts at around 5 and lasts 9-10 hours so I either make something (usually a slow cook of some sort) or we order in pizzas. I don’t expect to be served dinner at other people’s games but certainly a break to get food

Just to put my 2 cents in, every time I serve a meal it's a distraction from the game. I've done burgers, ribs, hotdogs, all sorts of grilled goodness. Stick to snacks and drinks. If the room gets hungry, they will organize a pizza delivery and the problem takes care.of itself.
Damn.

Those spreads sound great.

From my experience, all my guests arrive at 6pm and eat. Game starts around 6:30-6:45. Usually goes until 2-3am. We graze on the food as the night goes on.

I literally can't imagine a game without food.

Nope I don’t expect it but I do order pizza for my game and people kick in $5. Thats because we play on Friday nights and start right after work.
Exact same for our game. We play Fridays after work. People bring their own drinks mostly and whoever hosts orders pizza and everyone chips in - so I guess in that sense, we expect food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom