Hosting a home game, do you serve food to your guests. (3 Viewers)

When hosting a home game, do you serve food to your guests.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love the mustard selection here. As a former Wisconsin boy I salute this entire offering!

But I need to tell you to get ahold of this stuff from Barbados. My wife went on a trip and brought it back and I don’t think I’ll ever eat another brat without it. In fact when she went in a second trip to Barbados she brought back a 2 liter bottle of it so I’m set for awhile.

View attachment 1084059

I once put habanero sauce on a bratwurst. My only regret is discovering this magical combination so late in life. I will try to get a bottle of this!

As for mustard, this one is a huge hit at my games.

received_692038169283848.jpeg

I voted no, but do offer a good deal of basic snacks—typically homemade guac with chips, popcorn, some random candy, etc.

Honestly, I really don’t want people eating stuff that is greasy, can drip, etc. My regs know to eat dinner before the game, or to bring something and eat it off to the side.

P.S. Two other (more minor) reasons I prefer not to serve food are that I don’t want to have a bunch of side tables scattered around the poker table, or to slow down the game with eating.

There is a bar/counter with stools nearby if someone wants to sit and really chow down instead of focus on cards.

For drinks, I use two sizes of slide-under cup holders, one that fits beer bottles and the other larger for glasses, 20-ouncers etc.

Last edited:
I voted no but I offer a variety of snacks, a salami-pepperoni meat tray with cheese. My peanut dispensing machine is a big hit. I offer a wide variety of drinks. I have slide outs under the table that hold snack bowls to keep stuff off the table proper.
When we have long sessions, we order in pizza, and eat prior to the session, and guys can snack on the leftovers, and the other snacks during our cash games.

My game must be weird. It's BYOB and food is hardly ever consumed while we play. We just drink - beers and sodas. Sometimes there is someone who brings a bag of Twizzlers. I never provide food or snacks, because I don't want to get the chips, cards and felt all dirty or greased up. Sometimes a few people order a pizza when it gets late at night, but that's it. And even that is rare.

I eat prior to our game.

My game must be weird. It's BYOB and food is hardly ever consumed while we play. We just drink - beers and sodas. Sometimes there is someone who brings a bag of Twizzlers. I never provide food or snacks, because I don't want to get the chips, cards and felt all dirty or greased up. Sometimes a few people order a pizza when it gets late at night, but that's it. And even that is rare.

I eat prior to our game.
Sounds pretty much like my Friday night game except for large quantities of bourbon are consumed instead of beer. Everyone knows to arrive already fed and ready to play.

I’ll put out a small side table for people to place whatever snacks they want to bring to share and I have a full size fridge in the garage for them to put their beer/soda/water into. My regs know not to bring snacks that can get the chips, cards and table dirty or greasy and absolutely no food at the table at any time. We’ve been going strong just about every Friday night now for about 5 years and everyone seems to like it that way.

The WSOP satellite tourney series I run has food. If you're first out of a tourney, you provide food for the next round. I offer 4 dealer seats at the start of the season for anyone who doesn't want to ever serve food. But they have to deal the entire series.

Cash games normally start at 8 or later. I'll have snacks and non-ally beverages.

We used to start at noon back East in my old game and finish at 6a, so yeah, we definitely got food. And booze. And occasionally water.

My AZ game we usually start at 2p or 4p and we’ll take 45 min to gobble some pizza. It doesn’t take a lot of time, everyone washes up and doesn’t get the cards greasy and we can keep going another 5-6 hours at poker.

I was thinking of doing pulled bbq chicken in a slow cooker with slaw and Hawaiian rolls and another crockpot with hot dogs. Soda and water as well. a few others bring beer and chips. One guy is making fancy gin n tonics. We are eating during a break in the night.
Oh hell yeah!!!!

I was thinking of doing pulled bbq chicken in a slow cooker with slaw and Hawaiian rolls and another crockpot with hot dogs. Soda and water as well. a few others bring beer and chips. One guy is making fancy gin n tonics. We are eating during a break in the night.

I did a pot roast like this, people liked it a lot.

My buddy hosts maybe once a month on average. He usually picks up a few pizzas and 2 liters of soda and asks $2/slic. It works great and I appreciate the option to eat or not eat. He lives in the country so no delivery options.

I do. Tournies twice a year on average. They're both "theme" with trophies. For the spring tourney I get pizza. The Fall tourney is a three day, three game series and I get BBQ Saturday and pizza Sunday.

As the forums might know I was not a food game until several weeks ago when I spread a tournament and felt it was the right thing to do. I borrowed a roller for dogs from another forum member and away we went.

Up until then I had water, a nice selection of pop, single size bags of chips, a bowl of mini candy bars and a couple dozen Dunkin’ Donuts. The donuts are comped because my wife is a big shot with them.

After the tourney I was convinced that food was the next logical step in the evolution of my game.

I host weekly so there’s no chance I’m footing the bill for food. I was alright with what I mentioned above as my pre/tourney food philosophy.
Now with weekly dogs and three pounds of pulled pork I feel I’m best serving my players and my game. This week is Game 100 (in 18 months). It’ll be a two table cash game with 18 commits. I’ll do all the little stuff and beverages, the hot dogs, pulled pork, shredded buffalo chicken and sloppy joes. The last three items and the hot dogs I guess are bun-worthy.

Now, I’m not paying for this. I don’t need friends bad enough to trick them into coming into an awesome poker room that I decorated, play with high end, rotating chip sets that I bought from some of you, and play on two home beautiful home-built tables that run about $6-700 in materials to build. On top of the tidying and primping of the area, snow removal for parking in winter and all the set up and clean up from a weekly game. Not happening.

So I told them; tip the house. As long as tips cover the food, the food stays. I remind them multiple times each night. I have multiple ways to tip. There’s signage. There’s the PSA hourly on the juke box. So far tips have well-covered the food

I come from a background of tipping the game. Even if there’s no food, I tip. Less if I’m stuck and more if I play ahead.

If you host weekly and feed your players like I mentioned above and don’t encourage, insist on people tipping then you’re either rich or like to enable unthankful players.

That is all.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN (The Venue)
*The Executive Game, Eagan MN (Current Game)
*Frogtown Card Club, St. Paul (Retired)
*The Poker Family (Our Philosophy)

As the forums might know I was not a food game until several weeks ago when I spread a tournament and felt it was the right thing to do. I borrowed a roller for dogs from another forum member and away we went.

Up until then I had water, a nice selection of pop, single size bags of chips, a bowl of mini candy bars and a couple dozen Dunkin’ Donuts. The donuts are comped because my wife is a big shot with them.

After the tourney I was convinced that food was the next logical step in the evolution of my game.

I host weekly so there’s no chance I’m footing the bill for food. I was alright with what I mentioned above as my pre/tourney food philosophy.
Now with weekly dogs and three pounds of pulled pork I feel I’m best serving my players and my game. This week is Game 100 (in 18 months). It’ll be a two table cash game with 18 commits. I’ll do all the little stuff and beverages, the hot dogs, pulled pork, shredded buffalo chicken and sloppy joes. The last three items and the hot dogs I guess are bun-worthy.

Now, I’m not paying for this. I don’t need friends bad enough to trick them into coming into an awesome poker room that I decorated, play with high end, rotating chip sets that I bought from some of you, and play on two home beautiful home-built tables that run about $6-700 in materials to build. On top of the tidying and primping of the area, snow removal for parking in winter and all the set up and clean up from a weekly game. Not happening.

So I told them; tip the house. As long as tips cover the food, the food stays. I remind them multiple times each night. I have multiple ways to tip. There’s signage. There’s the PSA hourly on the juke box. So far tips have well-covered the food

I come from a background of tipping the game. Even if there’s no food, I tip. Less if I’m stuck and more if I play ahead.

If you host weekly and feed your players like I mentioned above and don’t encourage, insist on people tipping then you’re either rich or like to enable unthankful players.

That is all.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
So tips are mandatory?

We all pitch in for food, it can be pizza, Chinese, or I can grill something up :)
Just need a heads up for the last one.

We all pitch in for food, it can be pizza, Chinese, or I can grill something up :)
Just need a heads up for the last one.
That’s definitely one way to do it. I prefer to serve and remind my players that my Rolodex is 50 players deep with over 20 that would play if they got the invite (I presently run one 10 seat table weekly and two tables monthly) and if they want to squawk they can play elsewhere. Come on, I say it nice. Lol

I tip. I just tipped $75 on a $190 bill at some place called the Cheesecake Factory for my daughter’s birthday (she’s 24). The different between a schnook tip and a great tip is negligible to me but means a ton to the person running their butt off all night.

I serve you tip and you have a seat.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder

It’s a tip. It can’t be mandatory. If you come and eat and aren’t smart enough to bury a $5 bill in your sock I don’t want you at my game.

It might sound shitty but that’s how I operate.
No complaints yet.
It’s a really good game. Juicier than the pulled pork and runs weekly rain or shine for 18 months. My previous game in St. Paul (The Frogtown Card Club - retired when we moved) ran the same way never a hitch, never a bitch.

Good games are hard to find.

It’s a really good game. Juicier than the pulled pork and runs weekly rain or shine for 18 months. My previous game in St. Paul (The Frogtown Card Club - retired when we moved) ran the same way never a hitch, never a bitch.

Good games are hard to find.
Good, clean, juicy, fun, well-runs games that is.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder

Is this a policemen’s game?
Funny you say that… Law enforcement. We had an officer as a plus one at session about a year ago and I had half the room ask me afterwards if I could not do that again. My players are good people but it was pre-legalization in MN and it just isn’t some people’s jam.

Funny you say that… Law enforcement. We had an officer as a plus one at session about a year ago and I had half the room ask me afterwards if I could not do that again. My players are good people but it was pre-legalization in MN and it just isn’t some people’s jam.
We have no rule against what people do for a living and Jon Law is welcome but let’s just say I don’t know enough of the Blue Line for it to ever be an issue again.

I’m looking into a pizza oven that churn out 12” frozens bing, bang, boom.

Working on my game and not my personal poker play. That ship has sailed lol.

I want my game to stay on people’s minds and I want them to want to be here.

The venue, the equipment, the hospitality…

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom