Hosting a home game, do you serve food to your guests. (2 Viewers)

When hosting a home game, do you serve food to your guests.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TomC727

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This is a spinoff of another poll.

Question.

Hosts of home games. Do you provide a meal for your guests. It is a yes or no question.

And to be specific, a meal is a meal. Not snacks, bags of chips, etc. A full meal.

I do because I generally start at 5 or 6. Now that I have a roller it's pretty much hot dogs/brats each time and I'll make an easy side. I also provide snack mix and Reese's pieces. Some people bring a dip or cookies or something.

Before the roller I would cook something or order in.

A “full meal”. What is that? That makes it sound like a we start with a salad, then have meatloaf, green beans and mashed potatoes, and some ice cream for dessert;)

I have hot dogs on the rollers (sometimes mix it up with brats!), hot dog chili in a crockpot, of course condiments and chips/dip. I answered yes, but not certain it fits the definition?

Nope. But if I was asked, I would. My crew isn't interested in a meal, but they do snack. I like grilling for my guests. I did a cherry preserves base, honey, with a kiss of cayenne glaze on a smoked ham for Christmas. There were no leftovers of this beauty.

Attachments

• 20221224_165536.jpg
    20221224_165536.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 109
A “full meal”. What is that? That makes it sound like a we start with a salad, then have meatloaf, green beans and mashed potatoes, and some ice cream for dessert;)

I have hot dogs on the rollers (sometimes mix it up with brats!), hot dog chili in a crockpot, of course condiments and chips/dip. I answered yes, but not certain it fits the definition?
That absolutely fits.

A meal - pizza, hot dogs, sausage, steaks, etc. Not just snacks.

I have two groups. One group starts around three and plays to around midnight. That is Saturdays. They get fed. The other group is usually Fridays. They don't want fed. One player told me "Food would waste valuable stomach space beer could fill" so I don't worry about them

Last edited:
No but I arrange some kind of food, either home delivery or we go to the hamburger bar a few minutes away :)

I get 2 premium pizzas, anyone who wants some is asked to chip in $5. I also set out snacks, liquor, beer, and mixed drinks free of charge.

I only do a full meal on tournaments of grilled meat and sides which is about 2-3 times a year. Normal nights its chips, hotdogs and drinks. We start normal nights at 7:00 which is after dinner time for most people. Tourney nights start earlier around 5:00 to give time for everyone to show up and eat.

Not for me, my game usually start after dinner till 1-2am so people usually eat become coming over

I do provide non alcoholic beverages and snacks

Also, it not much of a culture locally to provide meal for cash home game too

Do I provide a meal? Sometimes, but most often I make a good appetizer and have some chips/different dips. I save the full meals for the bigger tournaments only 1-2 a year. The rest are appetizer/snacks. People will sometimes volunteer to bring food, sometimes nobody brings anything. Nobody has ever complained though.

Along with the snax: (jube jubes and some chips n salsa)
  • Always hotdogs on the roller.
  • Always a veggies with dip.
For day long deep stack events, I will add some cheese & crackers and some sort of warm crockpotable meal.
(beef stew, chili, butter chicken are all contenders)

I dislike pizza and hotdogs for a meal, I do like a late night hotdog.
My food budget every month is about 200 bucks. I typically smoke meats. This month is bratwurst from a local German butcher, I’ll have about 25 of them in an onion and beer bath, on the smoker for a few hours. I’ll also smoke a cobbler this month, I’ve also done snicker salad, banana pudding all from scratch. about 4 different beers and standard hard liquor including nice whiskey. I do 1 or 2 sides and dessert.
4 different soft drinks

We eat first and I have snacks for later as well as do a coffee service.

I usually order food for the group and have it ready when people arrive. We eat first then play. This is my plug for DOORDASH. It is awesome! I send out an order link from my doordash account to each player. Each player has 20 minutes to make their order, then the food comes to my door. The group ordering feature on DoorDash is great and very easy.

I typically don't, only snacks, and free drinks on the house. Depending on the start time, I have served pizza, with free drinks and snacks during the game.
I will serve nothing messy.

Like I tried to say in the other poll, I’m not interested in eating a meal or serving a meal. But that’s why the hot dog roller is such a great think to have. Hot dogs are easy, cheap, quick and not messy. Perfect thing to have available to your guests.

All the time and effort and mess involved with some of the meals people discuss here - all that business is for the birds. And the money. I’m a weird guy with money. I don’t think twice about laying out $15 for hot dogs plus whatever soft drinks or cheap beer I have on hand. But if I went to somebody’s house and was expected to pay $10 for food, I’d be annoyed. I can take care of myself, you know?
And the last thing I want to do is sit around watching everybody else eat - whether it’s taking time away from the game or whether they’re eating at the table, I can’t decide which is worse.
So I guess my answer is technically yes - I put out hot dogs. But anything more expensive, messy, or time consuming than that, I’m pretty opposed to as a host or as a guest.

I don’t have time to analyze all the response locations, but I’d be curious whether food provision is more common the further south you get. Growing up in Louisiana, it was just part of the culture to offer to feed guests no matter what the event was. Usually the first question after hello, how are you, was do you want something to drink followed by are you hungry because we have some ____, _____ and _______…lol

37E7AA05-E26F-4D52-8CB8-85749D3B52CA.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t have time to analyze all the response locations, but I’d be curious whether food provision is more common the further south you get. Growing up in Louisiana, it was just part of the culture to offer to feed guests no matter what the event was. Usually the first question after hello, how are you, was do you want something to drink followed by are you hungry because we have some ____, _____ and _______…lol

View attachment 1077181
I bet you are right, fam is from Alabama, if you were a guest at my grandmothers house, she didn’t stop offering you something until you had accepted, that might a tea or it might be fried chicken, she wouldn’t stop until you said okay. If you said I’m fine I don’t want anything she would offer until you had something!!!

I bet you are right, fam is from Alabama, if you were a guest at my grandmothers house, she didn’t stop offering you something until you had accepted, that might a tea or it might be fried chicken, she wouldn’t stop until you said okay. If you said I’m fine I don’t want anything she would offer until you had something!!!
Yep, I feel actual guilt if I don't have substantive food to offer someone. Hell, I offer people food/drink when they come pick up their kids who are just over for the afternoon playing with my kid...it is just ingrained.

This is a spinoff of another poll.

Question.

Hosts of home games. Do you provide a meal for your guests. It is a yes or no question.

And to be specific, a meal is a meal. Not snacks, bags of chips, etc. A full meal.
Depends on the game. Weeknight games start sometime between 6:30 and 7. Usually just snacks for that. If I am doing an all day Saturday or Sunday event, I will usually organize a dinner order of some sort.

I supply all the beer/water/wine/etc. I cater Jimmy John's party boxes and grab a variety pack of individual bags of chips from Sam's. This is simple, it isn't a meal per say but something easy to grab and bite between hands or during the break. A lot of people are generous and will tip to help offset a chunk of the cost. I find that you have to give something to keep people coming back and committing early to a tournament/cash game. Hosting is stressful enough so find something that is simple and efficient to provide for each meet up. It makes the planning easier when you have a core group that you can rely on attending because you provide what others dont.

Answered yes but the “meal” is pizza, wings (messy I know) and sandwiches delivered. Our game starts at 6pm. People eat when they’re not in a hand.

That‘s in addition to plenty of snacks and drinks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom