Horseshoe Tournament (CPC) (1 Viewer)

I will be re-evaluating the possibility of using that scrapped edge spot design for seating chips. The mockups I've made just look too good.

My OCD still gets triggered at the thought of taking factory-dusty chips and cutting their inlays out only to replace them with stickers, but having seen some higher resolution/closeup photos in @Gear's testimonial thread, I'll at least check out his samples in person. I'll sure receive a bunch of reject chips among my order again so I'll have some material to test with.

If it does at all, this will happen sometime next year alongside a possible set expansion to cover three tables. I was just bored and played a bit with Adobe Illustrator and the mockup tool.

Base and two highlight styles:
alternatives_seating.png

Full highlight:
alternatives_seating_02.png

alternatives_seating_02b.png

Subtle highlight:
alternatives_seating_03.png

alternatives_seating_03b.png

Full highlight in full set mockup:
horseshoe_tournament_49_N_charcoal_special.png

And with white base:
horseshoe_tournament_49_N_white_special.png

Leaning strongly towards full highlight and charcoal base.

Don't think the two thin lines to the left and right of the table label alone will cut it. Must be easy to identify at a quick glance which table a particular seating chip is for, without having to actually read the label. Color-coding is a supreme candidate for that goal, but of course the color needs to be recognizable enough. I've considered symbol-coding like Triangle, Circle, Square, but couldn't find any good spot on the inlay for the symbols that didn't kill the overall visual balance.

The white base version might just have a too strong contrast with the inlay; it looks borderline wild. The reference chip has somewhat more muted spot colors so the contrast isn't so overly strong there, but I want to color-code the tables and having three dayglo colors instead of random mixed DG/non-DG for that appears to be the most straightforward choice. Balanced look under blacklight too.

Edit: I've also decided to adjust the chip numbers in my set a bit.

Comparing with WSOP starting stacks and reading up on theory, I had way more T500s than really needed in my initial breakdown. Freeing up some money with that, I didn't have to drop too much extra in order to upgrade the starting stacks from eight T25s and T100s to twelve each. Practical side effect is that I won't have to order any more of those two denoms if I decide to expand the set to three tables later on.

I'm still keeping the colorup chips for every denom. While it'd probably be possible to make it work even without the most of them, the process sounds just too complicated to make for an enjoyable game. I'll try it out, but rather have the extra chips at hand to have a fallback.

Last edited:
thanks for the information. Im thinking about doing a custom set myself. how much does your custom set cost?

Im thinking about doing a custom set myself. how much does your custom set cost?

This number won't be of any direct help for you as the cost per chip is so much dependent on the specific details you choose. There can be be massive differences in per-chip pricing and you can certainly go way cheaper than I am going for an equally big amount of chips, while you definitely also can go an even more expensive route.

This set here has fairly complex and hence expensive edge spot patterns. The T100 in particular will burn a lot of money at $4.68 per chip production cost. In contrast, the cheapest denom in the set is the T25 at $2.33 per chip. (These two numbers along with the mockups will probably be of much more help for you)

That being said, my current calculation is: 1460 chips total (this includes purpose-ordered replacements) at something between $4600-$4700 pure production cost.

If you want to start experimenting with the chip design tool for a set of your own, I'd advise you to first get a rough idea of how many chips of each denom you want/need, and then either use the CPC pricing calculator from the forum (careful, does not have 2018 pricing yet - albeit just a small increase) or, if you know how to program, script a pricing calculator on your own like I did, and use it while you're playing with the chip design tool. The one I wrote includes (for a non-US guy) helpful finalizing calculations like rough estimation of shipping+reshipping cost and import fees. The less time and work you have to spend on recalculating what impact certain design decisions will have on your total cost, the faster you'll be able to develop your personal design.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your information. I'm pretty sure once when your set is done it will look amazing. looking forward to seeing the final product.

I do like the design, I actually have a rack of Cleveland horseshoe chips. The 5 dollars, 1 dollars and the 25 dollars.

Gear Label samples arrived yesterday. The glossy vinyl with thick laminate convinced me - these are almost as thick as an actual CPC inlay (CPC maybe 1/4th-1/3rd of a millimeter thicker), so should work well for a complete inlay replacement. Print quality and color matching very impressive too.

The white version of the seating kept growing on me over the past weeks and is my new favorite now.

One week left for sample orders!

I will close sample orders sometime early afternoon (UTC+2) on August 1st. Orders have to be paid by the time the order window closes!

Since I have so far not received any updates regarding the production schedule, I assume the info I have from May still is valid, which would mean production of the chip bodies for the tournament set starting after payment until probably sometime mid August, and final pressing of the already prepared cash set chip bodies along with the tournament set chip bodies during mid August. If I recall correctly from Club Hel, shipping from the factory to me with EU import via England took something around two weeks, and shipping of samples from me to the US was anywhere between just under a week to two weeks.

(mostly intended as a general bump, but also paging @pedrofisk)

Final bump before I close the sample order window on Wednesday.
If you are considering getting samples, this is your last chance to get them guaranteed.

Well, looks like I was wrong on my next update guess.

An unexpected letter was in my mailbox today.
Turns out the tax man was very nice to me this year :)
Even better, the extra dough landed on my bank account the same day.

...you know what that means :D
My set will support 30 instead of 20 players already this year now!

Payment safely arrived at CPC today.
Also got a first proof - not yet correct though. Will probably get a fixed version tomorrow.

Edit: Proof is in!
Colors slightly off here again because inlay artwork was supplied in CMYK, and the chip tool renders the chips in RGB.
51718x.png

Last edited:
Any chance of ordering bounties and seating chips?

Bounties - zero chance. Was a deliberate decision to not offer samples of them.

Seating - I probably won't receive too many extra chips, so I'd rather pad out the amount of replacement chips with them than to sell them off.

The unexpectedly longer wait is killing me slowly... I'm already back at building delicious chip set mockups even though I absolutely have no reason to make another set once HS and Paradise are done and expanded.

Meanwhile, have a mockup of a T50k starting stack!
(the "more chips" variant I will be able to hand out to up to 20 players - 30 player version only has 8 T25s/T100s)

tournament_stack_02.png

The unexpectedly longer wait is killing me slowly... I'm already back at building delicious chip set mockups even though I absolutely have no reason to make another set once HS and Paradise are done and expanded.

Meanwhile, have a mockup of a T50k starting stack!
(the "more chips" variant I will be able to hand out to up to 20 players - 30 player version only has 8 T25s/T100s)

View attachment 198664
How about the T1000 starting stacks with T5 chips?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom