Home game dealing (1 Viewer)

TheDonkeyKong

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Just curious on how others go about shuffling in their home games. Do you have a dedicated dealer or is it self dealt? Do you take initiative and deal the whole game or does every player deal once each orbit?

It all depends. If you have a lot of people who cant shuffle or deal well, or if you have someone that really wants to deal the whole time that works well. Passing the deal also works just fine. I have never seen someone deal per orbit, that would be kind of odd and will get messy with multiple tables.

It all depends. If you have a lot of people who cant shuffle or deal well, or if you have someone that really wants to deal the whole time that works well. Passing the deal also works just fine. I have never seen someone deal per orbit, that would be kind of odd and will get messy with multiple tables.
Ya sorry kinda worded that wrong, meant to say each player will deal once per orbit (new player dealing every hand). Most of my guys can’t shuffle worth sh*t, so I don’t like doing that although it does make things easier and everyone stays happy in my personal opinion. Sometimes I will shuffle the whole time and if someone is card dead they think its my shuffling LOL.

With self-dealing, a good practice is for each player to shuffle their deck immediately after dealing. Then pass that deck to the left (current dealer), who cuts it for the next dealer (on his/her left). So when it's your turn to deal, after the hand ends you cut the next deck and pass to the left, then shuffle the same deck you just dealt and place it between you and the next dealer. This results in each deck being shuffled by one player, cut by another and dealt by a 3rd.

If someone is really terrible at shuffling - arthritic or klutz or whatever - best if the player on his/her right agrees to shuffle twice in a row each orbit. That keeps the cards from being passed all over the place.

For tournaments, it's a rotating deal at my games. Everyone takes their turn. When the league was first setup, we made sure everyone could shuffle and deal competently (not pro, but can get the job done). It wasn't me who did this, but the guy who ran the league before me (I took it over after year 3). It's paid off tremendously.

What's the saying? Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to shuffle and you never have to deal all night long? Something like that...

Everyone knows the drill for shuffling and dealing. Shuffle behind, so if you just finished dealing, you scoop the cards and shuffle. When the hand is done, you pass it to the person on your right who cuts, and passes the cut deck to the new dealer on his right.

When it comes to cash games, if I host I usually deal all night. We usually only have 1 table for cash games, so it's easier to control the game. I'm not a fan of having multiple tables where some have a dedicated dealer and others don't. A good dedicated dealer can speed up the game a lot making 1 table play a lot faster than others.

Being the dedicated dealer all night can be tiring. Strain on the hands and drains you a bit more mentally as well. So if I'm playing and dealing, I'm not as on top of my game as if it were a rotating deal. Especially if it's a really long session. I don't accept someone who says "I don't know how to shuffle", that's a lame excuse for someone who is too lazy to learn.

For tournaments, it's a rotating deal at my games. Everyone takes their turn. When the league was first setup, we made sure everyone could shuffle and deal competently (not pro, but can get the job done). It wasn't me who did this, but the guy who ran the league before me (I took it over after year 3). It's paid off tremendously.

What's the saying? Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to shuffle and you never have to deal all night long? Something like that...

Everyone knows the drill for shuffling and dealing. Shuffle behind, so if you just finished dealing, you scoop the cards and shuffle. When the hand is done, you pass it to the person on your right who cuts, and passes the cut deck to the new dealer on his right.

When it comes to cash games, if I host I usually deal all night. We usually only have 1 table for cash games, so it's easier to control the game. I'm not a fan of having multiple tables where some have a dedicated dealer and others don't. A good dedicated dealer can speed up the game a lot making 1 table play a lot faster than others.

Being the dedicated dealer all night can be tiring. Strain on the hands and drains you a bit more mentally as well. So if I'm playing and dealing, I'm not as on top of my game as if it were a rotating deal. Especially if it's a really long session. I don't accept someone who says "I don't know how to shuffle", that's a lame excuse for someone who is too lazy to learn.
That’s one thing I find when dealing the entire night, it gets tiring and you always have to be concentrated on what’s going on, collecting chips what not and when your in a big hand it’s harder to focus on that hand.

Umm, I think you mean left, not right. I've played in a few of your tournaments, and I don't remember the rotation going counter clockwise. ;)

To be fair to some people, not everybody can shuffle efficiently because they may have arthritis or other medical condition that can be painful or affect their fine motor function. An elderly gentleman in a house game I usually participate in cannot do so, so I offer to shuffle on his behalf when it comes his turn.

To be fair to some people, not everybody can shuffle efficiently because they may have arthritis or other medical condition that can be painful or affect their fine motor function. An elderly gentleman in a house game I usually participate in cannot do so, so I offer to shuffle on his behalf when it comes his turn.
Agreed! I play with a few people that struggle physically with shuffling. They insist on doing it themselves, but it is painful to watch. I'm tempted to grab the deck from them and do it myself, but that would probably start a fistfight (and I'd probably lose to them, despite their physical impairments).

I deal my game all night. It can be tiring but it's easier to control the pace like you said. I actually find that I pay way more attention and play better when I'm dealing. I notice who's playing more hands, who's betting or checking more, etc.

I also deal my game the whole night. I have one other guy that has offered to shuffle so he will shuffle the second deck between hands. Between us we are pretty efficient and a lot of hands get played! I don’t mind shuffling all night, it’s part of the fun for me.

What's the saying? Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to shuffle and you never have to deal all night long? Something like that..
I think it's:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I deal my game all night. It can be tiring but it's easier to control the pace like you said. I actually find that I pay way more attention and play better when I'm dealing. I notice who's playing more hands, who's betting or checking more, etc.
I’m sure there’s a lot to that. In the cardrooms, I’ll talk to dealers away from the tables (as long as you’re not trying to tell them bad beat stories, they’re usually good people) and they often see the game sooo much more clearly than the people in it.

Several folks said what we do - two decks, shuffle behind, etc. If we have a player who is out who wants to deal the final table, the player with the dealer button is responsible to shuffle the deck. This way, the dedicated dealer is that, a dealer.

Indeed. But "I don't know how to shuffle" is different than "I can't shuffle". If you're capable, there's no reason anyone can't learn to do a half decent shuffle.

I know I am in the minority, but I hate shuffle behind. Too confusing. Flame on, lol.
Not sure how it is confusing. If you just dealt, then collect the mucked cards and shuffle. When you’re done, give them to the current dealer to cut. He gives them to the SB, who has a shuffled and cut deck to deal when it is his turn.

Rinse and repeat.

Unless you have a unique color for every player, the door is open to less than honest play.

Does the same player shuffle, cut and deal their own deck?

What could possibly go wrong?

Lol, these people can barely shuffle and you are worried they are going to stack the deck.
Even if they can shuffle you typically have to remind them they are the dealer during the hand. Some cheats they are.

Has anyone ever ever played with a person who could work a deck? I’m not talking about peeking, I’m talking about what your worried about, someone that can pull in the discards, shuffle them, cut them, and then deal themselves four aces. Most players can barely keep up with the action.

What always cracks me up about your concerns is that it’s really child’s play to bring in the discards -say someone had trip aces- then shuffle so that packet stays on top, hand it the the “cheat proof cutter” so that when he cuts all the aces are now in the bottom half - out of play. So now we have a separate shuffler, separate cutter, and separate dealer yet the shuffler knows no aces will be in play. Yeah that’s the way to stop less than honest play. It’s a false security that’s used often just to impress, even though it’s less than effective.

Lol, these people can barely shuffle and you are worried they are going to stack the deck.
Even if they can shuffle you typically have to remind them they are the dealer during the hand. Some cheats they are.

Has anyone ever ever played with a person who could work a deck? I’m not talking about peeking, I’m talking about what your worried about, someone that can pull in the discards, shuffle them, cut them, and then deal themselves four aces. Most players can barely keep up with the action.
No, what I was saying is if there is more than one deck at the table of the same backing, then a dishonest person could hold an ace from one deck to be used later.

Plus, if you track damage on your cards, then you have many more decks at risk by having so many out.

I think it's:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

No, it's:

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

No, what I was saying is if there is more than one deck at the table of the same backing, then a dishonest person could hold an ace from one deck to be used later.

Plus, if you track damage on your cards, then you have many more decks at risk by having so many out.
Sigh, it was a jest, poking fun at how many decks most of us have. I guess most of you have lots of decks with only one color back. I’d never do this mainly because they can’t keep track of two decks, much less 8. That is a joke, they are reasonably alert so they actually could keep track of eight separate decks, all with different backs and indexes, and a mixture of bridge and poker sized cards from four different manufacturers. A separate person would cut them each time though for sure, can’t be to careful.

Has anyone ever ever played with a person who could work a deck? I’m not talking about peeking, I’m talking about what your worried about, someone that can pull in the discards, shuffle them, cut them, and then deal themselves four aces.
Sadly, yes I have. Not to the “deal yourself 4 aces” level, but separating some high value cards from the muck, crimping the aces so they could be seen in the deck or picked out in a cut, overhand shuffles that looked real but left a few desired cards near the top, and a few other techniques that I didn’t recognize at the time.

Years later I came across an e-book on “micro-cheating” that described a lot of what seemed innocuous at the time but showed that my “friend “ was scamming his home game.

Also as you mentioned in a later post, you don’t have to be able to stack every card (or even one card) in your hand. Just knowing that a particular card is in a general part of the deck can give a crooked shuffler information that others don’t have.

Yes, having a second person cut the deck isn’t perfect, but it is better than having the same person shuffle, cut and deal. And that still happens in way too many home games.

Very surprised to hear the amount of people who deal the whole night in their own game. That's outrageously generous. Everyone deals at my game, if they complain about having to shuffle and deal they either get booted or we teach them how to do a basic shuffle. It takes seconds to learn and seconds to shuffle. No excuses beyond obvious people who physically can't shuffle, but no one I play with has that problem.

I share the deal with one other player... we sit mid table opposite each other. While he deals, I shuffle my deck. As soon as the hand ends I start my deal. Quite efficient. My players really enjoy not having to deal. Dealing every other hand isn’t so bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom