Home Game Convenience Items (3 Viewers)

When a hot dog roller is a must, how many dogs do we need to be rolling? I'm shopping and it looks like a good sized one can be had for about $150-175
depends on the number of players, how many players arrive expecting to eat, how long the game lasts, and if @MatB is in attendance discussing how nasty they are.

depends on the number of players, how many players arrive expecting to eat, how long the game lasts, and if @MatB is in attendance discussing how nasty they are.

Costco veggie spring rolls.

What else is there to know?

Ok fine…..

Two ply TP.

Set out ashtrays. If you have smokers, those butts gotta go somewhere. Nice players use a coke can or something if you don't have one, but some players are... how did @Goldfish put it... "squirrels"?
Pro tip for cigarette butts - Gatorade bottle - strong plastic and has a screw on cap. I put a Gatorade bottle out on the steps with a little water in it (and I keep the cap). At the end of the night I just screw on the cap and throw it away. Very easy. Coke cans or cups are messy to deal with, especially if they have water in them (have to pour the water out before throwing it away, etc.) and I can’t stand the smell when cleaning up.

Costco veggie spring rolls.

What else is there to know?
Won't they stick? I have one vegetarian in the group. That could be a game changer (though I usually tell her it's a hot dog, there's no real meat in there anyway).

Won't they stick? I have one vegetarian in the group. That could be a game changer (though I usually tell her it's a hot dog, there's no real meat in there anyway).

In Dallas they were air fried first. So maybe that helped?

I think they were a hit

I'm curious as to how long it takes others to set up / clean up on a given poker night (knowing full well that it probably varies drastically based on the type of game, number of players and amenities offered). It probably takes me 2 to 3 hours on each end for a standard tourney (2 tables, 12-16 guys) plus any food shopping time.

Cash game, 8-12 players

Quick Costco run the week of to stock up on snacks, dogs, buns, water, etc...30 min

Clean up all the kids toys, clean/stock the bathroom, set up table(s) and chairs, set out food and glassware, 30-60 min depending on the severity of the kids' mess.

Cards are counted and set out, cigar box for bank. I preset stacks of $20 in quarters and ones, and have a couple racks of fives out for buy ins. Buy in range is $20-$100 (12/17/x).

I usually clean up the night of, might take an hour at most. Hot dog roller gets cleaned next day.

Extra towels in the bathroom, or better yet a stack of disposable ones. On the plus side, at least (most of) the guys I play with wash their hands, but by the end of the night the lone, sad, bathroom towel is a disgusting sodden mess.

When a hot dog roller is a must, how many dogs do we need to be rolling? I'm shopping and it looks like a good sized one can be had for about $150-175
Varies drastically depending on the game size and your crew. I usually buy a 24 pack and a couple 6 packs of brats and that is plenty for a ~15 man tourney in the evening. I have an 18 dog roller.

Wife got me a 30 dog roller. It seemed excessive at first, until I used it. Totally worth it.

8-12 of us (plus my kids) go through 30-40 dogs easily. And it's nice to line them up in two rows instead of three if I don't need to run at full capacity, also can use the back half to cook while the front half keeps warm

Last edited:
Extra towels in the bathroom, or better yet a stack of disposable ones. On the plus side, at least (most of) the guys I play with wash their hands, but by the end of the night the lone, sad, bathroom towel is a disgusting sodden mess.
We used to try and change out the towels halfway through the night. Eventually, we put out a short stack of towels (3-4) made a sign that reads "Please replace towels as necessary. Put the wet towel in the shower".

One less task for the host during breaks, no more soggy towels, and far better than disposable towels.

We used to try and change out the towels halfway through the night. Eventually, we put out a short stack of towels (3-4) made a sign that reads "Please replace towels as necessary. Put the wet towel in the shower".

One less task for the host during breaks, no more soggy towels, and far better than disposable towels.
I switched to a roll of paper towels in the bathroom. I took the hanging towels out for the reasons stated already. It’s a lot easier just to empty a trash can at the end of the night instead of dealing with a soaking wet towel.

I switched to a roll of paper towels in the bathroom. I took the hanging towels out for the reasons stated already. It’s a lot easier just to empty a trash can at the end of the night instead of dealing with a soaking wet towel.
I guess that would vary depending on the number of players and eating habits too.

16-24 players and food (sometimes including chicken wings) would require emptying the wastebasket (or a bigger one, which would not work in the smaller restroom). Stack of towels (just a few) avoids the soaking wet towel syndrome. Zero waste, no extra costs.

If we were to host a 4-day meetup, I would shift to disposable just to avoid a couple extra loads of laundry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom