Holy Grail (1 Viewer)

For me, a Grail set, would be the set that made me so satisfied, I quit the hobby. Pure and simple. As long as I'm here, digging through pictures and classifieds for other sets and chips...I haven't found my Grail..

Conceptually, I would say that's close to a good definition. However, I don't think it would necessitate quitting the hobby.

I have found my "grail" set but it hasn't lessened my interest in the hobby. I still enjoy looking at new chip discoveries and helping those new to the hobby. The only difference is I no longer have that constant, driving obsession to find the perfect set. I have peace and now enjoy the hobby rather than obsessing over it.

Sneak peak into my grail set. Not finished yet so full set photos to come.

DSC_0513.JPG

Wish my games played big enough to get the full use of the binions but playing some denoms as 1/100 is worth though initially a little tilting
Those Binions Paulson 8V’s are THE grail, as far as I’m concerned, so good on you if you got a set. But if you’re telling me you’re using the 25’s as quarters and the hundos as singles, I’m just gonna stick my fingers in my ears and sing lalalala and pretend I heard nothing.

Those Binions Paulson 8V’s are THE grail, as far as I’m concerned, so good on you if you got a set. But if you’re telling me you’re using the 25’s as quarters and the hundos as singles, I’m just gonna stick my fingers in my ears and sing lalalala and pretend I heard nothing.
The alternative is I'd have them sit on a shelf and get played once every few years but that's not how I chip :)

I haven't figured that out yet.

That's two of us. There's no set that I lust after -- a couple, like Duy's Palace and Abby's Lady Lucks, that I hugely admire, but customs for me just wouldn't work. By the time they were produced and delivered, I'd want something else.

If that means I already own my grail set, I'm not sure which one it would be. Mullet Bays, ACFs, Vineyards, GVs, Casas, Surfsides, Borlands, Bahamias, Pacific Stars, Boardwalks :cool?

Maybe my grail is a mixed set. Guess I'll find out as I sell things off...

Tangentially, I think "No Cash Value" vs non-denominated are two different things.

To the OP's point, I think a grail set is different for everyone and one that you'd "set the world on fire" to get. Well, hopefully less dramatically, but I think the sentiment remains.

I just recently had a moment of self-discovery, when I had the opportunity to buy a couple of sets I always thought of as "grail sets," and I passed on them. :confused So turns out they're not "grail" status for me. Currently, there are no "grail" sets out there for me. Lots that I admire and would like to own, but none that I "need."

I just recently had a moment of self-discovery, when I had the opportunity to buy a couple of sets I always thought of as "grail sets," and I passed on them. :confused So turns out they're not "grail" status for me. Currently, there are no "grail" sets out there for me. Lots that I admire and would like to own, but none that I "need."
Agreed. I had a similar moment of zen recently. I know I'll be flamed for this, but the Binions really don't do anything for me, and I say that knowing their history, as well as the fact that I am cuckoo for 8Vs (just like everyone else). Hell, same re the BTPs (at least at the current pricepoint) and the purely-for-profit SBs.

I know I'll be flamed for this
Nonsense man! We should be free to voice opinions and comments regarding the different chip sets.

It's hard not to notice just how many SB chips got murdered. May as well have ordered blanks. Save everyone the aggravation of murder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom