High Stakes Poker coming back

surfik

Flush
Reaction score
I hope they keep the same aesthetic as the previous seasons and it's not just a rebranded Super High roller cash game or Poker After Dark. The big mystery however, is who's commentating. It's just not the same without Gabe.
Norman Chad and Stapes would be cool.

Eriks

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they go for someone that can actually provide some insightful commentating. Someone like Oliver Busquet (spelling?) comes to mind. Imo there are too many poker shows with commentators trying to be funny and usually taking too much away from the actual action at the table (including the table talk).

While I kinda like Gabe anyway, he definitely falls into that second category.

200 Motels

Flush
Reaction score
Norman Chad and Stapes are both considered color commentators. I think they'd need a pro in there to give solid analysis....like Nick Schulman. Although, wasn't Schulman fired from his last commentating gig?

Eriks

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick’s done a lot of recent wsop but also cash games. Can’t say for sure which shows

upNdown

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Nick Schulman is the stone cold nuts for poker commentary. If you disagree, I bet you haven’t heard much nick Schulman.
But I’d hold out for Gabe, if he’s still got his fastball. As I posted somewhere else, Daniel Negreanu recently alluded to that possibility. He was perfect for the “home game with maniacs” flavor of that show.

Chippy18

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Yes! Gabe and AJ had something going there... humor and good comments!

upNdown

Straight Flush
Reaction score
For the record, I adore Norm Macdonald - he’s probably my favorite comedian. But his poker work isn’t the best. I’d be glad to watch, if they gave him the job, but he wouldn’t be my first choice.

upNdown

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Along with Berkey and Joe Ingram
I often enjoy Joey Ingram’s irreverence. Even though he plays the part of millennial douche to perfection, I find it refreshing. But when he starts parroting Polk by bashing old school guys (obviously and especially Negreanu and Helmuth) I want to punch him. And it’s entirely ignorant. He was doing a broadcast recently, bashing Helmuth as usual, and his broadcast parter showed him some of Phil’s stats - stuff like his cash rate, his final table rate, and his percentage of wins at final tables. And Ingram was surprised and impressed. Like, he actually knows very little about the guy (possibly the greatest MTT NLHE player in history) who he’s bashing.

surfik

Flush
Reaction score
I often enjoy Joey Ingram’s irreverence. Even though he plays the part of millennial douche to perfection, I find it refreshing. But when he starts parroting Polk by bashing old school guys (obviously and especially Negreanu and Helmuth) I want to punch him. And it’s entirely ignorant. He was doing a broadcast recently, bashing Helmuth as usual, and his broadcast parter showed him some of Phil’s stats - stuff like his cash rate, his final table rate, and his percentage of wins at final tables. And Ingram was surprised and impressed. Like, he actually knows very little about the guy (possibly the greatest MTT NLHE player in history) who he’s bashing.
You might be right

surfik

Flush
Reaction score
I just hope that whoever end up will pull up a good show. Notice that Kaplan and Chad stand more for a good wholsom fun than analitical approach... I just hope it will not be Doug Polk. He might be good player but his voice annoys me as hell. I would prefer to be sitting next to inhibriated Gavin Smith ( RIP) that sober Doug.

upNdown

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I just hope that whoever end up will pull up a good show. Notice that Kaplan and Chad stand more for a good wholsom fun than analitical approach... I just hope it will not be Doug Polk. He might be good player but his voice annoys me as hell. I would prefer to be sitting next to inhibriated Gavin Smith ( RIP) that sober Doug.
I don’t think Doug is a good fit. He seems much too wrappped up on GTO analysis, which really isn’t what this game is about. Also, I wouldn’t call him a player - he’s retired, and I don’t think he’s coming back.
is “you might be right”a catch phrase of Joey’s?

Legend5555

Flush
Reaction score
Hellmuth's results speak for themselves. But after watching his behavior on several live streams, he is utterly unbearable as a personality for anything other than the snippets he is given in pre recorded events.

His LATB behavior was just the absolute worst.

surfik

Flush
Reaction score
I don’t think Doug is a good fit. He seems much too wrappped up on GTO analysis, which really isn’t what this game is about. Also, I wouldn’t call him a player - he’s retired, and I don’t think he’s coming back.
is “you might be right”a catch phrase of Joey’s?
It's just I am tired of talking about Phill H. I not his fan but I respect him. If you manage to last 20 years in this business....

Top Bottom