Hey! Don't do this! (1 Viewer)

Potsie1

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
Don't try to be clever and take your freshly cleaned chips outside to dry directly in the sun. Yes it will dry them quite quickly but it will also slightly warp them as well.

However if you happen to make this mistake there is a solution!

20160627_163329.jpg

I didnt oil them till they were flat. I kept them on the porch out of direct sunlight. They were only slightly warped so very very light pressure and 80 degrees out of the sun worked perfectly. I have one of those stupid ovens that wont go below 160 and makes flattening chips challenging.

I didnt oil them till they were flat. I kept them on the porch out of direct sunlight. They were only slightly warped so very very light pressure and 80 degrees out of the sun worked perfectly. I have one of those stupid ovens that wont go below 160 and makes flattening chips challenging.

I did some experimenting a few months back. It's actually pretty easy to maintain a constant low temp (90-140F) in your oven by just using a regular incandescent lamp. You can tweak the temperature via the output wattage (using a dimmer), and in my specific oven around 50-55W kept the over at a steady state temperature around 115-120F.

Here's a picture from my initial experiment.

image.jpeg

I did some experimenting a few months back. It's actually pretty easy to maintain a constant low temp (90-140F) in your oven by just using a regular incandescent lamp. You can tweak the temperature via the output wattage (using a dimmer), and in my specific oven around 50-55W kept the over at a steady state temperature around 115-120F.

View attachment 46925
Nice. Thanks for the idea.

I think in my dad's garage in Phoenix on a hot day with the door down is about 110-115. Maybe I'll try to unwarp a few pink fracs this way. It might not get ht enough but at least I don't need to worry about damaging them. I'll try this before using the oven

I think in my dad's garage in Phoenix on a hot day with the door down is about 110-115. Maybe I'll try to unwarp a few pink fracs this way. It might not get ht enough but at least I don't need to worry about damaging them. I'll try this before using the oven

If the mailbox is in the sun, put them in the mailbox.

Reactions: ovo

keep the door open on your oven but have a thermometer in there to watch

and with an oven mitt you could give them a very slight extra tightening after they warm up but be delicate with that

over tighten and you have chip smores

keep the door open on your oven but have a thermometer in there to watch

I would actually recommend against this. If the lowest you can set your oven for is 175, keeping the door slightly open will force the oven to turn the elements on more often to try and maintain 175 inside the oven at the oven's internal temperature probe. You'll end up with an uneven temperature gradient within the oven, and the net effect will be a higher overall temperature.

Last edited:
I would actually recommend against this. If the lowest you can set your oven for is 175, keeping the door slightly open will force the oven to turn the elements on more often to try and maintain 175 inside the oven at the oven's internal temperature probe. You'll end up with an uneven temperature gradient within the oven, and the net effect will be a higher overall temperature.

yeah maybe

but open the door all the way and see how it goes....worth a shot but try it before you put the chips in

or go buy a new stove that goes low....the wifey/girlfriend will love you long time for it....win win for all !!!:p

yeah maybe

but open the door all the way and see how it goes....worth a shot but try it before you put the chips in

or go buy a new stove that goes low....the wifey/girlfriend will love you long time for it....win win for all !!!:p
Or just do the lightbulb trick. Good enough for easy bake, good enough for poker chips.

View attachment 46925
How did I miss this? Great idea Dan, and nice thread necromancy @Dahlar9 ! Where in MN are you located? I have a monthly game that is always looking to add friendly players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom