Help with over oiled TRKs (1 Viewer)

I didn't realize that these were paper inlays. If the oil is soaked into the paper fibers, it's all over. Anything you try will only make it worse (looking).
^^ This. No matter how much oil you manage to pull out using whatever method you try (and none will work worth a damn, or worth the possible negative side-effects), absolutely nothing you do will change the discoloration of the inlays -- that is permanent. Short of completely removing them and going the @Gear inlay replacement route, you're stuck with the discoloration.

I'll quote this again, just because it's true, it obviously can't be said too much or too often, and maybe it will save somebody else from a similar disaster in the future (bold-face added for emphasis):
it is a good time to remind everyone:
  1. If you are oiling chips, do so SPARINGLY.
  2. A few drops of mineral oil on a clean dry cloth, wiped around the rolling edge ONLY, by the barrel or half barrel. Wipe excess immediately.
  3. Never soak in oil and NEVER oil the faces.
  4. Patience: A little oil goes a LONG way, and will migrate over time from the rolling edge into the chip.
  5. Never use the oil/water trick. It isn't; and it can't. I am not wrong on this.

Yeah, they are your chips so you can bury them in ground rice and kitty litter if you want but nothing is going to help, the entire label is dyed with the oil and oil and paper are now one.

Maybe you can convince yourself they were special edition sepia tone inlays?

Your only hope is bleach, it can whiten things and take out stains, wouldn't it be great if maybe we could find a way to get the bleach inside the inlay? Would be bigly great. :D

F64CB465-76D7-4C4F-BED7-E2653F0CCD52.jpeg

FWIW rice is not a good desiccant. Yes it is dry, but is not terribly effective at removing moisture through air. Rice won't hurt, and may help slightly, but if you ever expose electronics etc. to water/moisture and need to get it out you should use desiccant packs. It is honestly worth buying some these in advance and keeping them on hand in a sealed bag/container around the house for the emergencies when you need them. They may just save your phone/keyboard/camera/watch... or poker chips. You can also use these preventatively as well if you store things like cameras/electronics in bags/containers in humid environments like a closet or shed. It is one of those things that by the time you have to order it and get it delivered it is too late.

Examples: 50 gram packs, 5 gram packs

Sorry to hear this--as an OG TRK-ite, I feel for you. :(

But, may your circumstance not be in vain--it is a good time to remind everyone:
  1. If you are oiling chips, do so SPARINGLY.
  2. A few drops of mineral oil on a clean dry cloth, wiped around the rolling edge ONLY, by the barrel or half barrel. Wipe excess immediately.
  3. Never soak in oil and NEVER oil the faces.
  4. Patience: A little oil goes a LONG way, and will migrate over time from the rolling edge into the chip.
  5. Never use the oil/water trick. It isn't; and it can't. I am not wrong on this.

^^ This. No matter how much oil you manage to pull out using whatever method you try (and none will work worth a damn, or worth the possible negative side-effects), absolutely nothing you do will change the discoloration of the inlays -- that is permanent. Short of completely removing them and going the @Gear inlay replacement route, you're stuck with the discoloration.

I'll quote this again, just because it's true, it obviously can't be said too much or too often, and maybe it will save somebody else from a similar disaster in the future (bold-face added for emphasis):

I'll admit I got a little lackadaisical since the many chips I oiled in the past had not had any issues whatsoever. Didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Now I know. Follow the 5 steps from @gopherblue. Don't let this happen to your beloved chippies! :(

What a bummer. Seems like you were being extra careful too. Much more careful then I was. Just never had that problem with my Paulsons before, but you did. Guess I just got lucky?
Yeah unfortunately some are much more susceptible to oil getting under the inlay than others. And yes almost all of them are paper inlays

Yeah unfortunately some are much more susceptible to oil getting under the inlay than others. And yes almost all of them are paper inlays

Didn’t know that about the inlays. I thought they were all vinyl. Did I say “got lucky?“ Would’ve rather had this happen to my California Bell or Eldorado bike tires.

Didn’t know that about the inlays. I thought they were all vinyl. Did I say “got lucky?“ Would’ve rather had this happen to my California Bell or Eldorado bike tires.
Vinyl over paper. Makes sense really, what else would they print the text on. Yeah I would've rather not had it happen to any of us at all

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom