Help with over oiled TRKs (1 Viewer)

JoeyMack

Flush
Reaction score
Yeah, I F-ed up.

Mineral oiled my Nevada Lodge $5s. I was letting them sit for a bit so they could soak up the oil, then forgot about them overnight. Here is what I found in the morning:

image0(3).jpeg

About a barrel was fine (like the chip to the left), but the remaining 4 barrels had some sort of oil penetration into the inlays (right). Some chips less then others. The example chip is on the worst end of the spectrum. I ultrasoniced a barrel, and while it did dry the chip out it didn't seem effect the inlay much. I am distraught and looking for any suggestions that might help correct the situation. Thank you!

Yep, I made this mistake too, on a bunch of the Nevada Lodge $5s. I don't think I'll ever stop having nightmares over this, honestly.

Good luck...I think they're forever altered. I tried everything. I left them on a towel to "dry"...for months. I even kept a fan pointed on them, on high, for days and days.

I tried putting chips in a bag of rice, to hopefully "soak up" that oil (much like a phone dropped in a lake).

Nothing worked. Nothing even helped.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

I now ONLY oil the rolling edge of chips, and I NEVER leave the oil on, even for a short amount of time. I wipe oil on, and I wipe it off, without ever setting the chip down. It's not worth the risk. I cry a little every time I think about how I learned this valuable lesson. Oh, the destruction to my most prized babies :(

Last edited:
I’ve never tried this but maybe something like vinegar, dawn, or shout will help. Oil can dry with air or time - somewhat but doesn’t “usually” evaporate. You might need an “agent” to cut the oil, though my fear is it will also destroy the adhesive and you’ll lose the inlay. :dead:

What oiling method did you use

I lightly dipped the sponge into the mineral oil and oiled the edges of a barrel. I then ran the sponge on the face of the chips around the inlay. The chips felt pretty dry so I let them sit. Didn't mean to leave them overnight. Hindsight I used the the oil too liberally, but I have done this before with THCs and never had a problem. Even sometimes letting them sit for hours.

I lightly dipped the sponge into the mineral oil and oiled the edges of a barrel. I then ran the sponge on the face of the chips around the inlay. The chips felt pretty dry so I let them sit. Didn't mean to leave them overnight. Hindsight I used the the oil too liberally, but I have done this before with THCs and never had a problem. Even sometimes letting them sit for hours.

Yeah, some chips you can leave in an oil bath, and no problem -- such as the PdC. But yeah, the Nevada Lodge..... :(

Generally older leaded chips with this specific shaped inlay are prone to this. Either avoid the inlay altogether or do a couple a day and let them dry to see how they end up.

At worst these just became prime murder candidates? :jawdrop::bag:

Yep, I made this mistake too, on a bunch of the Nevada Lodge $5s. I don't think I'll ever stop having nightmares over this, honestly.

Good luck...I think they're forever altered. I tried everything. I left them on a towel to "dry"...for months. I even kept a fan pointed on them, on high, for days and days.

I tried putting chips in a bag of rice, to hopefully "soak up" that oil (much like a phone dropped in a lake).

Nothing worked. Nothing even helped.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

I now ONLY oil the rolling edge of chips, and I NEVER leave the oil on, even for a short amount of time. I wipe oil on, and I wipe it off, without ever setting the chip down. It's not worth the risk. I cry a little every time I think about how I learned this valuable lesson. Oh, the destruction to my most prized babies :(

Thanks Mel. Sorry to hear you learned this lesson the hard way too. While it's not the news I wanted to hear at least I know not to waste my time with those methods.

The ultrasonic seemed to dry out edges pretty well so will probably try that a little longer and see what happens. Will let you know if any progress is made.

The ultrasonic seemed to dry out edges pretty well so will probably try that a little longer and see what happens. Will let you know if any progress is made.
:jawdrop::jawdrop::p:pStep away from the chips sir!

I would be very careful of that too as it is very probable over ultra-faux TSPing them will discolor the clay permanently as well.

Unfortunately there is N-O NO way to reverse oil soaking into the paper inlays. It’s been a known issue for years and none of the pros have fixed it so unless you do significant research on, well I have no idea what it would be... but you’re likely to do more harm then good using chemicals on them. Not trying to be a downer or mean just letting you know what we collectively have learned about this issue.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this--as an OG TRK-ite, I feel for you. :(

But, may your circumstance not be in vain--it is a good time to remind everyone:
  1. If you are oiling chips, do so SPARINGLY.
  2. A few drops of mineral oil on a clean dry cloth, wiped around the rolling edge ONLY, by the barrel or half barrel. Wipe excess immediately.
  3. Never soak in oil and NEVER oil the faces.
  4. Patience: A little oil goes a LONG way, and will migrate over time from the rolling edge into the chip.
  5. Never use the oil/water trick. It isn't; and it can't. I am not wrong on this.

Since it sounds like you got nothing to lose here by trying, you know us mechanically inclined people have used kitty litter to clean up oil spills forever. Maybe try rubbing some kitty litter on them to let the litter suck up the oil, them ultrasonic to ensure you clean all the litter off the chips. I mean hey, what do you got to lose at this point?

:jawdrop::jawdrop::p:pStep away from the chips sir!

I would be very careful of that too as it is very probable over ultra-faux TSPing them will discolor the clay permanently as well.

Unfortunately there is N-O NO way to reverse oil soaking into the paper inlays. It’s been a known issue for years and none of the pros have fixed it so unless you do significant research on, well I have no idea what it would be... but you’re likely to do more harm then good. Not trying to be a downer or mean just letting you know what we collectively have learned about this issue.

Thanks. Appreciate that info. Don't want to ruin the chippies even more then they already are. Will step away from the chips...

Thanks. Appreciate that info. Don't want to ruin the chippies even more then they already are. Will step away from the chips...
As long as it doesn’t involve chemicals or extreme heat I think you’ll be fine, would just hate for you to run into the other most common way to injure chips. Best of luck with them, interested to see if you’re able to have a breakthrough with them !

You cant fix them unfortunately

Sorry, this ^^^^, short of replacing the inlay.

Sorry to hear this--as an OG TRK-ite, I feel for you. :(

But, may your circumstance not be in vain--it is a good time to remind everyone:
  1. If you are oiling chips, do so SPARINGLY.
  2. A few drops of mineral oil on a clean dry cloth, wiped around the rolling edge ONLY, by the barrel or half barrel. Wipe excess immediately.
  3. Never soak in oil and NEVER oil the faces.
  4. Patience: A little oil goes a LONG way, and will migrate over time from the rolling edge into the chip.
  5. Never use the oil/water trick. It isn't; and it can't. I am not wrong on this.

This ^^^^ 1000%. This is the best advice period for oiling. People are way to hung up on oiling, it only takes a tiny bit and sometimes never. Always avoid the faces. And soaking chips in oil just makes me want to cringe violently.

I didn't realize that these were paper inlays. If the oil is soaked into the paper fibers, it's all over. Anything you try will only make it worse (looking).

If the oil is simply trapped under a vinyl inlay, time may cause it to seep away from the inlay area and migrate to other parts of the "clay" that are less saturated ("drier"). I oversoaked a bunch of Empress $5's in TSP solution until the inlays were stained - some with a brown ring. I separated the stained ones and put them away for a few years (about 5), and when I rediscovered them, I couldn't figure out why they weren't with the others - they looked fine.

I didn't realize that these were paper inlays. If the oil is soaked into the paper fibers, it's all over. Anything you try will only make it worse (looking).

If the oil is simply trapped under a vinyl inlay, time may cause it to seep away from the inlay area and migrate to other parts of the "clay" that are less saturated ("drier"). I oversoaked a bunch of Empress $5's in TSP solution until the inlays were stained - some with a brown ring. I separated the stained ones and put them away for a few years (about 5), and when I rediscovered them, I couldn't figure out why they weren't with the others - they looked fine.

Yeah...I didn't know that either. It may just be a waiting game but from other's experience it's not looking good.

That's a shame...:(

May want to give kitty litter or a motor oil absorbent a try. I don't know if it will do anything for them, but it's worth a shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom