Help with Oak Tree DB art (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like the 'ugliest inlays ever' that Jim@thechiproom warned us about before introducting the OT chips:

oak-tree-all-gradient-png.13161

This, on the other hand, is simply magnificent. No matter what you decide, would be a crime to not produce the grayscale version -- I'm sure that getting orders for five buttons would be no problem (I'm In for one):

oak-tree-gray-button-fade-png.13159

I always kind of agreed with Jim on the inlay... the spots are superb though. If we get 5 on the grayscale, I'll put in the order. I'd keep one.

Gave it some time this afternoon to percolate in the brain, and I think BGinGA is right. The all-gradient version just isn't working, but the black-and-white looks better every time I see it. I don't have an Oak Tree set but I still want one of these DBs.

Me, bg, gear, NiceShot and ovo would be 5 for the grayscale. I'll run it by Sal.

I love Sal's stuff, but don't discount the 63mm buttons by GOCC. Pretty impressive too, and might even be cheaper. Dunno about minimums...

I've been working with Sal on the first three buttons already. I'm not going to switch at this point but I'll take a look next time.

Any update on the Casablanca buttons?

Yeah, once Sal does the art, I'm going to start an order thread. Shouldn't be long.

thanks for the work Atomiktoaster. Just don't burn the toast ;)

Would anybody be interested in going with laser engraved acrylic or wood (oak?) instead of ceramic for these? It think it would look cool, but I'm hesitant to add more work finding a vendor and upping the price.

Giving the theme, wood would be perfect. Pokerchipsdesign.com (also sponsor of this side) offers wood card guards with a nice texture. Increasing the diameter for a db shouldn't be a big problem.

tapatalking ...

Last edited:
I think they also offer acrylic buttons, but agree that engraved oak is the perfect choice for these. Acrylic buttons are expensive (about 3x); dunno how much more wood might be versus ceramic.

There's some local laser engraving places I might look into. Avoiding international shipping would have to help.

My motivation on the laser engraved buttons is fading a bit. If somebody wants to take the art and run with it, please let me know. If we come up with something we want Sal to put on a ceramic button, I can handle that still. I'm doing 125 of them already ;)

Down with whatever you choose, but agree it has to be smooth to slide on cloth and prefer the gray scale version.

The oak tree inlay has a special place in my heart despite everyone's aversion to it. I grew up on 3 acres of oak trees so for me it's home.

My motivation on the laser engraved buttons is fading a bit. If somebody wants to take the art and run with it, please let me know. If we come up with something we want Sal to put on a ceramic button, I can handle that still. I'm doing 125 of them already ;)

I investigated this a bit, and I think that either engraved acrylic or wood buttons are priced too high for mass appeal (about $18-20 each plus overseas shipping, minimum order 20 buttons).

My vote is to see what Sal can do with the grayscale artwork (in for two).

Whatever inkscape is doing with the grayscale art, it does not want to translate that to another vector format or program like illustrator. I agree that pokerchipsdesign.com pricing, shipping and minimums are not going to work out in this case. Still slogging through it.

I investigated this a bit, and I think that either engraved acrylic or wood buttons are priced too high for mass appeal (about $18-20 each plus overseas shipping, minimum order 20 buttons).

My vote is to see what Sal can do with the grayscale artwork (in for two).

I got a quote from a local shop for $15 each for 5 pieces. Might go down a bit for a higher quantity. Still way more than ceramic.

From the vendor:

"1/8" thick unfinished Birch plywood, or 1/8" thick solid finished Maple.

The price wouldn't change until 25 pcs. where it would be $12.00 ea.

Clear acrylic would be the same price as wood. Fluorescent or colored acrylic would be about 10% - 15% higher priced."

I probably would be out at $15, since I don't have any Oaks. The vendor is on my side of Houston, so I could pickup and ship them out if I need to. He may be willing to ship individually too. Their name is akulazik. I just found them doing a google maps search. They seem pretty responsive via email though.

I'd probably buy a wooden dealer button, but can't see doing so if it isn't oak.

I get the feeling that the heavy grain of oak makes it harder to get a good image compared to birch or maple. Plus, the lighter woods give better contrast. It's not impossible to do though (plenty of laser engraved oak barrels out there).

It's getting a little out-of-scope from the rest of the group buy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom