Help me with my first Gun Purchases (2 Viewers)

Sig is my preferred reliability brand, altho the CZ plastic guns are also nice. I love my 229 but would go would go with the p320 if I was looking for a carry gun. even the 229 is just so damn heavy

wish I could carry in canada

edit: nothing wrong with the glock, they just feel awful in my hand

Home defense 101:

1. Burglar breaks into your home at night while you are home.

2. You rack a round into your Remington 870 pump shotgun -- an unmistakable sound.

3. Burglar immediately flees upon hearing this.

4. Police later identify burglar by DNA from the giant pile of shit he left on your floor.

5. Added bonus - no shots fired.

Ranges here have guns to rent. If that's an option for you, definitely take advantage of it. I've saved thousands of dollars NOT buying pistols that I didn't enjoy firing. The old poker chip adage of "Get Samples" applies even more to guns, IMO.

Make sure its comfortable in your hand and that you can fire it reliably. I can recommend a pistol to you that I love (Springfield XD-M, 9mm), but if you don't shoot it well, find it comfortable, or are confused with the controls, you are not going to be happy with it.

When I purchased my first pistol, I got a revolver. Super easy everything (loading, shooting, cleaning). But its mostly a safe queen now (although I wouldn't sell it because it makes a handy pocket piece when running out).

IMO, I'd definitely recommend 9mm for home defense. Its a good mix of ballistic strength, but control-ability for non-shooters (like your wife and/or adult-ish children), should the need arise. Plus, being a smaller round, capacity on magazines is usually higher for 9mm. Also, no matter what the pitch, if you are looking at revolvers, avoid the Airweight S&W -- too light to handle the punch, even of .38's, IMO. It hurts to shoot.

JMHO.

Will have Gun Locks on them at all time and might get a safe as I have a 6Yo in the house.

Gun locks are a perfect obstacle for actually using a gun when needed. They are fine for hunting rifles, but for home defense, I'd recommend a safe. I have one next to my bed with a couple of pistols and plenty of ammo. Also a good place to keep my poker bankroll (which takes up less room than I'd like... :( ). Look at laptop safes. (FWIW, this point is not to bolt these to the floor and be secure from thieves...the point is to keep them out of the hands of children, but still accessible if needed.)

Again, JMHO.

I'll second the 870 (I own 4 in various configurations) suggestion when the shot gun time comes. IF HD only I highly recommend 20ga youth model. Compact, and your wife can use it to...and when the time comes your kid(s) can learn it too

Home defense 101:

2. You rack a round into your Remington 870 pump shotgun -- an unmistakable sound.

4. Police later identify burglar by DNA from the giant pile of shit he left on your floor.

A buddy at my old engineering job claimed to have had this exact experience...

He's pretty anti-gun, but knew his roommate kept a shotgun in the house. Late one night he hear's some one trying to get in the back door of his rental house. Panicked and nervous, he grabbed his roommate's shotgun, stood by the back door, and cycled the pump. The person let go of the doorknob, and went away.

Not sure if it was a BS story or not, but he wasn't really one for spinning webs. Especially since he claimed to have hated guns.

Home defense 101:

Now that is what'd I'd have rather have happen.

I'll second the 870 (I own 4 in various configurations) suggestion when the shot gun time comes. IF HD only I highly recommend 20ga youth model. Compact, and your wife can use it to...and when the time comes your kid(s) can learn it too

Was going to say they have several versions of the 870. There's a combat version with a shorter (but legal) barrel.

And whatever you do, do not load slugs in it for home defense. The slug is so powerful it will go through your entire house and several other close houses before it stops.

Was going to say they have several versions of the 870. There's a combat version with a shorter (but legal) barrel.

And whatever you do, do not load slugs in it for home defense. The slug is so powerful it will go through your entire house and several other close houses before it stops.

It's an interesting debate. For years double-ought was the widely-recommended cartridge for home defense. I'm now seeing a lot of online discussion pushing to birdshot/target loads for home defense, as most scenarios are 20' or less, you don't need a ton of "spread," and there's not much need for the excessive penetration offered by double-ought.

To quote Bill Burr, you don't want to "do a bunch of drywall work, re-frame your diploma, and get your parakeet another friend." You just want to "stop the guy." :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I'm not a Glock fanboy by any stretch but they're reliable weapons. I own one, but it rarely leaves the safe. Personally I prefer 45's for home defense and 9mm for conceal carry. I'm currently carrying a S&W M&P 9 and a Springfield XD subcompact 9mm. As far as shotguns, I only own one for home defense. Remington 870 hands down is as good as they get. They work no matter what you throw at them. I have a couple of Benelli shotguns if you're interested in spending some coin they're nice guns but if I'm reaching for something to protect my home, its the 870. Also for handguns, I'm a Kimber fan myself, but they're pricey. I own too many of them but they're my favorite weapon as far as reliability and accuracy. I started with Kimbers when I used to shoot competition and I've never had love for anything like them. Now to be fair, I don't consider them a utility weapon like my 2 CC weapons, they're more a luxury.

Someone mentioned laser sights and flashlights. I'm not a fan, especially for home defense. All that does is tell an intruder where you are. You know you're home layout better than him. Shelter, and prepare to defend. If you need a laser or a flashlight to hit a target you've not handled the weapon enough. I take my kids and wife to the range regularly so that not only are the familiar with the weapons but so that I can teach them proper safety. We have a healthy respect for firearms in my home.

Friend of mine got a small gauge shotgun for home defense, loaded with birdshot. His absolute first priority was making sure he didn’t shoot anything hugely deadly through his own house walls.

I always thought that made a lot of sense.

I was given a Taurus 38 that I have liked. I was told by a friend they are considered a lesser brand but I like it and have had no problems.
I have always liked my Mossberg shotgun as well. My brothers and I all have the same model and they are inexpensive, reliable, light, and can take a beating. Definitely not as nice looking as a wood stock shotgun but great guns anyway.

OP asked for advice on a gun.
Let's save the gun politics for the politics thread.

Maybe you should look up the word "politics". Personal considerations concerning the presence of weapons in a house are not politics.

The OP presented his personal situation, which he described as involving a lot more than just selecting a particular weapon.

My comments related specifically to the content of his post, and did not address any political aspects of gun ownership or registration.

I've owned firearms for over 60 years now, and I'm retired from the army (as an ordnance officer) and the federal government (DoD and DoC), so you probably have no idea of my political positions on guns. :cool

Maybe you should look up the word "politics". Personal considerations concerning the presence of weapons in a house are not politics.

The OP presented his personal situation, which he described as involving a lot more than just selecting a particular weapon.

My comments related specifically to the content of his post, and did not address any political aspects of gun ownership or registration.

I've owned firearms for over 60 years now, and I'm retired from the army (as an ordnance officer) and the federal government (DoD and DoC), so you probably have no idea of my political positions on guns. :cool

tenor (1).gif

The nice thing about Glocks is that there are a million parts and accessories out there at really competitive prices.

Personally, I really dislike Glock factory sights and prefer the ergonomics of Sig and Smith over Glock. YMMV

All of the choices you list are quality options.

Sig or glock 9mm plus mossberg or Remington pump shotgun covers a whole lot of bases. After that maybe a Ruger 10/22 and then a rifle. Could be a surplus Mosin or a reasonable bolt action if you’re not an AR type. Bulk ammo dot com to get plenty of food for it and get mags online a lot cheaper.

Get training if you can afford it and learn to be proficient which does not mean a mall ninja, even tho I pass no judgement on mall ninjas. If you can’t afford training there are good tube channels which is better than nothing.

I would recommend the 870 - with a pistol, unless you can put in a bunch of range time - you won't be accustomed to shooting it under pressure and hitting your target. Learning to pull your weapon, extend, aim and pull the trigger needs to be second nature- theres's a lot going on each step that can trip you up if you haven't trained. Once you've done moving target or moving while shooting practice you'll see how difficult it is to hit a target (does make you realize that you would have a good chance to survive getting shot if you're moving). You'll have less chance to shoot yourself in the head by accident with the 870 as well. As others have said you can load birdshot and have a less lethal option ( or you can do what I do and load a birdshot, then a buckshot, then a birdshot... if the birdshot doesn't convince them, the next shot will).

If you can get range time, buy a CZ75 variant-- most ergonomic pistol I've owned, feels like it was personally made to fit in my hand - all metal to reduce recoil (but the frame can be alloy so not too heavy).

Last edited:
Hi guys my Firearm Permit application process is moving along good. Both my friends which are my references who are both in Law Enforcement have submitted their paperwork for me. I'll get my Fingerprints on next Tuesday. I've applied for 3 permits so I believe I can get one gun first wait 30 days and get the next one and then 30 days then the next. I will probably not get the shotgun as the spray and the houses here are close together. I may go with a long gun and then another hand gun in the future. Still figuring the next two out and will determine it after I get my first one. After speaking with my friends and researching. I was thinking about getting the below S&W M&P 9 Shield. A few of my friends say they carry S&W as their off duty weapons. Does anyone here own one? What are your thoughts. Thanks.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-0

The Shield is a great choice for a carry weapon. Here's to hoping you can get some quality range time in soon. Try to find a defensive handgun class in your area. A good one is not cheap, but well worth it.

And get a good leather and Kydex holster. I prefer Crossbreed, but there are many good ones out there.

1586273240007.png

Hi guys my Firearm Permit application process is moving along good. Both my friends which are my references who are both in Law Enforcement have submitted their paperwork for me. I'll get my Fingerprints on next Tuesday. I've applied for 3 permits so I believe I can get one gun first wait 30 days and get the next one and then 30 days then the next. I will probably not get the shotgun as the spray and the houses here are close together. I may go with a long gun and then another hand gun in the future. Still figuring the next two out and will determine it after I get my first one. After speaking with my friends and researching. I was thinking about getting the below S&W M&P 9 Shield. A few of my friends say they carry S&W as their off duty weapons. Does anyone here own one? What are your thoughts. Thanks.

I own and carry a Shield 9mm. Great CCW gun. light and easy to conceal. Also very affordable, they sell for about $250 now. As mentioned get a good holster, nothing universal from Amazon, make sure it designed for that specific weapon. Will this be your nightstand gun or just CCW? There are much better options if this is going to be just a nightstand gun. The full size S&W M&P would be a good pairing for the nightstand gun. Longer barrel, more rounds. Same controls as the Shield for muscle memory.

I own and carry a Shield 9mm. Great CCW gun. light and easy to conceal. Also very affordable, they sell for about $250 now. As mentioned get a good holster, nothing universal from Amazon, make sure it designed for that specific weapon. Will this be your nightstand gun or just CCW? There are much better options if this is going to be just a nightstand gun. The full size S&W M&P would be a good pairing for the nightstand gun. Longer barrel, more rounds. Same controls as the Shield for muscle memory.

I won't be having a CCW. A CCW Permit here in NJ is almost impossible to get if you're not in LE or a related field. I'll also look at the full size S&W M&P also. Once I get my permits I have to set my appointment with the local firearms guild here. Gun Stores are only open by appointment. Thanks for the replies.

I also wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a Laptop Safe for my handguns. I see many options and am looking for opinions. If I get a long gun I'll figure something else for that. Maybe a case with a secure lock.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but @dennis63 had it right in an earlier post about shotguns imho. Unless you are extremely familiar and comfortable with a handgun, I don't recommend them for home defense, which I believe is the priority here based on your prior posts. Shotguns are way high on the intimidation factor, you will hit what you point at (assuming close range, which is likely in a home) and with the right ammo, there is little chance of damage to your neighbors. If anyone ever asked me what to use for home defense it's a shotgun all the way and the recommendation on here are sound with respect to the Remington and Mossbergs. If you're dead set on a handgun, don't discount revolvers. A .38 or .357 have great stopping power, and wheel guns don't jam. Round capacity is irrelevant to me as a comparison. Yes, semi autos give you more rounds, but if you haven't put down what you're aiming at with 5 or 6 shots you've got bigger problems at this point. That being said, as far as handguns go, I've never had a Glock jam or misfire on me and I've fired a ton of rounds using several different Glocks in various condition over the years. Very very reliable, but don't like the feel in my hand. I much prefer the Sigs. Do your research on ammo too - I've heard stories about through and throughs with smaller caliber weapons (including 9mils) and the last thing you want is for your shot to pass through your target and hit someone else in the vicinity, or enter your neighbors residence. Regardless of what you choose, it's a personal choice, and takes a variety of experience to determine what's best for you.

Oh, and baseball bats can be fun...

My buddy has the M&P 9 Shield and we trade off at the range. For some reason I just prefer the Glocks... I have bigger hands and the fit is just perfect for me. And I’ve definitely become a Glock fan over the years as a result.

That being said, if you like the feel, snag one! The Shields are beauts!!

Hey Mike,

Much like chips, there will opinions all over the board, but you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone disputing the reliability of a Glock. Caliber is another thing that is often highly debated. I personally choose a glock 19 (9mm) for my daily.

The best gun for you will be the one that you actually take the time to learn and practice with.

If you haven't seen it there is a very interesting documentary on Netflix about GLOCK. It goes into the history of the company and some of the internal drama. GLOCK is actually a small company and at the time of the doc. I believe all the pistols were made in a small factory in Austria.

If you haven't seen it there is a very interesting documentary on Netflix about GLOCK. It goes into the history of the company and some of the internal drama. GLOCK is actually a small company and at the time of the doc. I believe all the pistols were made in a small factory in Austria.
Nice. I haven’t seen that one pop up in my feed yet. I’ll check it out for sure :tup:

You may be aware of this already, but given the way you worded this post, just figured I'd clarify...

You don't need a permit to buy a shotgun or rifle here in NJ. Those can be purchased with the Firearms ID card that you're applying for. The 3 permits that you're getting in addition to that ID card are to be used for handguns. And yes, you have to wait 30 days between purchases of handguns. The handgun permits also expire, but getting an extension is typically pretty easy. In fact, since NJ went to the online firearm application process, I've actually heard that some towns are issuing new permits with extensions already in place. No such luck in my town, they were still only good for 90 days.

Wasn’t the founder (Gaston Glock) the target of a paid hit by one of his business partners? And he survived I think?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom