Buying my first set (1 Viewer)

dman1486

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my first poker set because I am tired of the basic poker striped non-denomination chips all my friends have. I was looking at getting smooth Monte Carlo chips from thepokerstore.com, but then I came across the Dia de los Muertos chips and I fell in love with the look. My friends mostly play .25/.50, so I was thinking 500 chips would be good. I was planning on going with .25 x100, 1 x200, 5 x150, 25 x 40, 100 x 50. I know I don't need the 25s and 100s, but my game might increase and I really like the look of those chips. I was planning on getting the bundle on BPPro Poker that comes with 500 chips, a deck, the dealer button, and a case. I was wondering if the chips, chips amount and denominations, make sense price wise for someone like me looking to get their first set of quality poker chips. Also, as a side question, what do you guys use for your small and big blind buttons. Cause I can't find any cool designs online unless you guys just don't use them. Thanks so much!

I'm looking at getting my first poker set because I am tired of the basic poker striped non-denomination chips all my friends have. I was looking at getting smooth Monte Carlo chips from thepokerstore.com, but then I came across the Dia de los Muertos chips and I fell in love with the look. My friends mostly play .25/.50, so I was thinking 500 chips would be good. I was planning on going with .25 x100, 1 x200, 5 x150, 25 x 40, 100 x 50. I know I don't need the 25s and 100s, but my game might increase and I really like the look of those chips. I was planning on getting the bundle on BPPro Poker that comes with 500 chips, a deck, the dealer button, and a case. I was wondering if the chips, chips amount and denominations, make sense price wise for someone like me looking to get their first set of quality poker chips. Also, as a side question, what do you guys use for your small and big blind buttons. Cause I can't find any cool designs online unless you guys just don't use them. Thanks so much!
I meant just 10 100s.

Welcome to PCF.

There are a ton of threads on here about chip breakdowns, and reviews of ceramic chips, including the ones you mentioned.

I think they great looking, and they are definitely quality ceramics.

Before you spend your hard-earned money, stolen money, or your parent's money, take the time to get samples of chips you like. Shuffle them, stack them, push them across an imaginary bet line, and listen to them when they splash a pot.

These may seem like unnecessary things, but if you stick around here for very long, they will matter.

BR Pro is a vendor on this forum. In my limited dealings, they are outstanding to work with. Great service.

I’m in a similar position where I’m sick of using dice chips for my home games. At the advice of others here I got some samples of different chips, I’d suggest doing the same to make sure the chips you get are a good fit for you. Regarding breakdown this this post from @Machine really helped me out in deciding the breakdown that will work best for my game.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-optimal-chip-break-down.113118/

Dia de los Muertos chips
DDLM Chip from BRPro are quality ceramic chips, it will be a good first entry purchase.

My friends mostly play .25/.50, so I was thinking 500 chips would be good. I was planning on going with .25 x100, 1 x200, 5 x150, 25 x 40, 100 x 50
Generally, the recommended breakdown for 25/50c stake is 600 chips with the following breakdown that is suited for a full table.

25c x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 200
$25 x 80
$100 x 20

If budget-constricted, 500 chips build you could go with (i) or (ii)

(i)

25c x 100
$1 x 150
$5 x 150
$25 x 80
$100 x 20

(ii)

25c x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 100
$25 x 80
$100 x 20

Oooh buddy let me help.
How about 1000 cards mold chips for $100
You just need to post pictures when you use it .
I have some options for you to pick from on spots and colors
All dollars are black dollars.

Posted examples
IMG_20231230_021100_01.jpg
PXL_20231230_080802409.jpg
PXL_20231230_080758233.jpg

Save the $100, find some Paulsons or CPCs that you like, spend the money now and be done with it...delete account after uploading chip Pron.

I’m in a similar position where I’m sick of using dice chips for my home games. At the advice of others here I got some samples of different chips, I’d suggest doing the same to make sure the chips you get are a good fit for you. Regarding breakdown this this post from @Machine really helped me out in deciding the breakdown that will work best for my game.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-optimal-chip-break-down.113118/
Golden rule echoed across PCF: Get samples!!! Best way to know!!!

You'll be happier to spend a bit more money on something you felt in person and like, and you'll avoid spending any money on something you don't.

Feel like Ursula just found Arielle. "Poor, unfortunate, noobs!"
At the same time, I came here 4 years ago hoping to not get ripped off on buying .35 cent Monte Carlo's for like $300 ... and instead ended up, in no particular order:

Buying a Chanman Poker Topper.
Buying Alibaba Poker Chairs.
Buying a dozen + Premium Card Setups.
Buying Singles for Card Cappers, and gifts.
Buying cool Dealer Buttons.
Buying and selling thousands of Paulson chips, ending up with a Gear custom labelled set.

And I wouldn't trade it for anything, but man those Monte Carlo's might have been good enough! Now if I just had a hot dog roller ...

New here and this exactly what I was looking for. Looking to buy my first good set myself and I never knew about samples.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom