Help me buy a watch! (1 Viewer)

I would look at vintage models. I picked up a lovely 1940’s manual Zenith in great condition, original blued hands, and a dial with some really amazing champagne patina that looks incredible in real life.

I was also just gifted a 1955 Bulova (back when they made real watches.

Grab two straps and presto, day and evening wear. Or grab two watches. (Both of these together would sell for ~$1000.)
A7E1FDFE-BA15-4B22-B294-F947C598A66F.jpeg

I have looked on from a distance at the watch market for some time. I feel it could be the moment to dip my toes in the water. I don't really have a clear budget but I suppose it would be sub 1k. I want something that looks elegant with good value for money. This would be my daily driver as I don't plan to build a collection, so it would be my one singular timepiece.

I want something that goes well with jeans and a dress shirt.

- must have a clean face, no dials, dates, days of the week etc.
- bonus points if the branding is discreet.
- I have no preference about movement but don't want to manually wind

I like the look of some of the simple TISSOT line but haven't dug in deeply. I also like some of the wood watches out there or mixed material watches with wood and metal but the reviews seem to be mixed.
My suggestion is you take a deep dive into learning a bit more about watches on YouTube and https://www.watchuseek.com/ before you buy anything.

I’ve been interested in watches for over 20 years and can tell you a poker chip forum isn’t the best source…just like a watch forum wouldn’t be best place for poker chip advice. Some good tips are certainly on this thread but so are some not so good ones. Don’t take this the wrong way but your comments make it obvious this is new to you and I’d hate to see you drop a lot of cash on a watch only to wish you had bought something else when you become more knowledgeable.

Most YouTube channels focus on Swiss and higher end watches but some are great for sub $1000. Some do both. Sub $1000 for a watch is like a .30 a chip set so you are going have to have correct expectations. I would say that you should definitely avoid any designer watches and paying over $100 for a quartz watch. If you are into watches you will want an automatic.

Some great channels for this price range are
Urban Gentry
Just one more watch (more sub $600)
Teddy Baldassarre
Here is a good video but if you search this title you will get dozens on the same topic

Last edited:
There are also many watches in the Seiko Presage line that are beautiful and under $1,000. The enamel dial models in particular are special.

381B3F0E-7540-4A6A-98A1-446AB964841D.jpeg

I would look at vintage models. I picked up a lovely 1940’s manual Zenith in great condition, original blued hands, and a dial with some really amazing champagne patina that looks incredible in real life.

I was also just gifted a 1955 Bulova (back when they made real watches.

Grab two straps and presto, day and evening wear. Or grab two watches. (Both of these together would sell for ~$1000.)
View attachment 1094330
Where would one shop for vintage models?

Definitely consider preowned. All but a handful of watch brands lose value as soon as they are worn. You could probably find watches that sold closer to $2000 for under $1000 that are practically new looking

Oh and if new….never ever pay retail! Look for 20 to 40% off

Some great tips! I appreciate value and don't appreciate depreciation! I am certainly not above buying preowned and like the idea of getting a much nicer watch for less money. I always buy vehicles a couple years old - same concept.

And certainly no offense taken about me being a watch noob because I am! I will heed your advice and take more time to learn before pulling the trigger.

Cheers!

I bought my Zenith from Farfo, which usually has watches in your range: https://farfo.com/shop/vintage-watches/

There’s also Second Time Around: https://secondtimearoundwatchco.com/collections/watches?sort_by=price-ascending

And 1stDibs: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watches/gender/mens/?currency=usd&per=1940s,1950s,1960s&price=[29 TO 1250]

There are others, but they mostly carry more expensive watches.

First caution: older watches may need a service soon after you buy it, unless the vendor did one. You’ll need a watch service shop and a service every ~5 years to keep them running forever.

Second caution: you can get sucked in and get expensive. I have a still growing collection with a huge range of prices.

Servicing costs for mechanical watches is where they get you. Now if we're talking about a watch that costs several thou, sure it probably makes financial sense to keep it in good shape by spending a few hundred every five years. Or if you have a mechanical that you want to keep in good working order for generations, then maybe you get it serviced for sentimental reasons.

Or you could get the watch serviced at longer intervals if it still keeps decent time, which could be even decades. But at that point the oils inside may have dried up long ago and that can cause excess strain / damage on the inside. Unless the watch was very expensive or it has sentimental value, at some price point it makes more sense to just use it until it has a problem, then either get it serviced or buy a new watch altogether.

I recently got a vintage Seiko automatic that at some point I may try to service myself. It was inexpensive and donor movements for replacement parts are available. My solar quartz on the other hand has self-lubricating plastic parts instead of oil, so I will only need to replace the battery every 15-25 years. Of course I expect the electronics to stop working or the plastic parts to wear out at some point, but I never meant for it to be worn in the year 2150 anyway.

Servicing costs for mechanical watches is where they get you. Now if we're talking about a watch that costs several thou, sure it probably makes financial sense to keep it in good shape by spending a few hundred every five years. Or if you have a mechanical that you want to keep in good working order for generations, then maybe you get it serviced for sentimental reasons.

Or you could get the watch serviced at longer intervals if it still keeps decent time, which could be even decades. But at that point the oils inside may have dried up long ago and that can cause excess strain / damage on the inside. Unless the watch was very expensive or it has sentimental value, at some price point it makes more sense to just use it until it has a problem, then either get it serviced or buy a new watch altogether.

I recently got a vintage Seiko automatic that at some point I may try to service myself. It was inexpensive and donor movements for replacement parts are available. My solar quartz on the other hand has self-lubricating plastic parts instead of oil, so I will only need to replace the battery every 15-25 years. Of course I expect the electronics to stop working or the plastic parts to wear out at some point, but I never meant for it to be worn in the year 2150 anyway.
Yep, totally worth calling out, but you can save a ton by finding a good local service provider.

A few trusted service providers have noted that mechanical watches work better when worn daily- the oils are less likely to thicken and will lubricate better; keep them flat when not wearing.

I dunno if “get you” is the right term but certainly if you buy an expensive piece they know you will want to keep it running smoothly, especially any patented complex movement the local guy shouldn’t be touching. Certainly you will be financially able to pay let’s say 10% of the price of the watch for each maintenance if you bought the piece to begin with. Personally I think that is simply the cost of ownership and if you can’t accept those costs 100% then you shouldn’t buy the item to begin with. When I pay exorbitantly high maintenance costs it’s not to get something done, it’s to get something done right. I’ve had a random guy fuck up my omega case back just because he didn’t have the proper branded opening tool. Or a 3rd party detailing place fuck up the deep UV layer of ceramic pro that’s taken years to buff out.

You could also just sell it in 5 years for the same price and buy one that’s been serviced. ;)

This has a date on it, but I like the Rado Captain Cook

Attachments

• 20E6BFE7-FF02-428F-BE78-43C112A63B22.png
    20E6BFE7-FF02-428F-BE78-43C112A63B22.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 43
My movado is the cleanest dial

Attachments

• 3EF5CDE3-4F7B-4CCD-9E93-C9B7903A9EE8.jpeg
    3EF5CDE3-4F7B-4CCD-9E93-C9B7903A9EE8.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 41

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom