Help me buy a watch! (2 Viewers)

Boom. Search over.
Lets see if it checks all the boxes

No unnecessary things like a date.
check

No open back. No clunky automatic.
he did say he didn't want to have to wind it every day so let's say it's close

40mm blue dial on rose gold is classy and eye-catching. One of the Trinity.
Well it is classy, but geez 20k will buy a lot of Poker Chips

I'm thinking no

Oh wow this is just incredibly beautiful!
Important lesson in watches, Perry. Always see the real thing and try it on if you can. Pics are often not representative of the real thing. I probably talked myself into buying something like that several different times but the real thing was a disappointment each time in person. Don’t only look at pics online. Try stuff on or at least watch some of the high res YouTube videos by WatchBox or equivalent to get a more realistic idea of the piece. I think @Nanook made several excellent points in previous posts.

Important lesson in watches, Perry. Always see the real thing and try it on if you can. Pics are often not representative of the real thing. I probably talked myself into buying something like that several different times but the real thing was a disappointment each time in person. Don’t only look at pics online. Try stuff on or at least watch some of the high res YouTube videos by WatchBox or equivalent to get a more realistic idea of the piece. I think @Nanook made several excellent points in previous posts.
Translation: get samples.

My recommendation: Oris Artelier skeleton. I bought mine 13 years ago for $1300. I know the list price is higher than your budget Perry but I can tell you I have received 10x more comments about that than any of my other pieces combined.

View attachment 1091034

There’s also a women’s version if you want a matching set. The tremendous value in this watch has made it difficult for me to find any reasonable upgrade in a skeleton since.
I'm not a watch guy but I've been lusting after @DirtyTIVA's recommendation for a couple of years. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger (other than price) is that I'm usually in the pool or on the bike. This is as close as I get which usually gets chuckles from my coworkers:
20230303_210153.jpg

Good luck @Lemonzest

Ok in all seriousness I bought these watches 20 years ago for no more than $500 each (all I had was debt back then). I think they’re from the golden age of watch making and car design too. Omega Constellation. Quartz movement. The dial is smaller (maybe 34mm?) so my wife just wears these now as a bracelet. The band is silky smooth and the finish on the hour markers and hands still sparkles- one of the best ways to tell the difference between genuine and reproduction. The Double Eagle they made after this one is larger but lacks that classic design imo. Obviously I didn’t clean these up before taking this photo but I’m sure you can find lots of YouTube videos and eBay listings with cleaner pics.

1677950293164.jpeg

1677950308283.jpeg

1677950322555.jpeg

I know just about nothing about watches, but if I ever splurge on one, it will be this one: https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-556-I-on-Strap-74p731.htm (Note: I have no idea whether that link is to a reputable seller; it was just the first one I found to show the watch I'm talking about.)

It meets most of what you're looking for, but a bit over on price and it does have the date. I believe the blue variant doesn't have the date. There are also variants with numerals on the face, and with a metal bracelet instead of the strap.

SI-191.jpg

I know just about nothing about watches, but if I ever splurge on one, it will be this one.....
Sinn is another German watchmaker that makes extremely nice watches and have a fantastic reputation among watch enthusiasts. They don't have the "Swiss" cache, but they also don't carry the "Swiss" price tag. I have owned several Sinns and they are top notch. I didn't mention them mostly because new that watch is out of the OP's price range. In any case, OP could do a whole lot worse

Sinn is another German watchmaker that makes extremely nice watches and have a fantastic reputation among watch enthusiasts. They don't have the "Swiss" cache, but they also don't carry the "Swiss" price tag. I have owned several Sinns and they are top notch. I didn't mention them mostly because new that watch is out of the OP's price range. In any case, OP could do a whole lot worse
I thought the whole point of PCF was to encourage people to overspend on unnecessary goods? Am I doing this wrong?

I know just about nothing about watches, but if I ever splurge on one, it will be this one: https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-556-I-on-Strap-74p731.htm (Note: I have no idea whether that link is to a reputable seller; it was just the first one I found to show the watch I'm talking about.)

It meets most of what you're looking for, but a bit over on price and it does have the date. I believe the blue variant doesn't have the date. There are also variants with numerals on the face, and with a metal bracelet instead of the strap.

SI-191.jpg

This is super classy. I love the black on black look. I often wear black or grey v necks so this would match well. I can feel the call of the void... "why not just buy 3 or 4 watches? ...."

That is a beautiful watch. I am feeling like a broken record at this point...but the outer ring is too busy for my taste. The outer ring with 15-30-45.
No worries, that watch probably WAY bigger than you'd want and definitely more expensive for a grasshopper watch enthusiast like you.

What do you think of the Sinn a few posts back. I feel like I might be able to talk you into that one...

SI-191.jpg
Was just about to suggest a Sinn. It's over $1k but the 556 is honestly a really good all around watch.

SI-191.jpg

Looking further into the Sinn lineup and I really like their clean aesthetic.
https://www.sinn.de/de/Modell/1739_Ag_B.htm

Looking further into the Sinn lineup and I really like their clean aesthetic.
https://www.sinn.de/de/Modell/1739_Ag_B.htm
I think that specific watch would be extremely nice and it will hold it's value reasonably well. 39mm case & 9.1mm thick is a very reasonable size for a modern dress watch and will likely fit you well. It is sort of average size for the diameter of the case and thin like a dress watch should be.

I still think the Stowa Flieger is the way to go here, based on the requirements listed. And you can make a semi custom order with them as well, which makes it an even more interesting proposition.

I opted for handwound, no date, bronze case, green dial and rose gold coloured hands.
PXL_20230111_045525240.jpg

Whatever you buy, just know you will fall down the rabbit hole like the rest of us.
PXL_20220909_034911457.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom