Help me buy a watch! (2 Viewers)

Lemonzest

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I have looked on from a distance at the watch market for some time. I feel it could be the moment to dip my toes in the water. I don't really have a clear budget but I suppose it would be sub 1k. I want something that looks elegant with good value for money. This would be my daily driver as I don't plan to build a collection, so it would be my one singular timepiece.

I want something that goes well with jeans and a dress shirt.

- must have a clean face, no dials, dates, days of the week etc.
- bonus points if the branding is discreet.
- I have no preference about movement but don't want to manually wind

I like the look of some of the simple TISSOT line but haven't dug in deeply. I also like some of the wood watches out there or mixed material watches with wood and metal but the reviews seem to be mixed.

Last edited:
Tissot Powermatic 80 is my favorite current watch under $1k, I’m thinking about picking up one of the new ice blue ones. Swiss made, automatic movement, integrated bracelet, dresses up or down well.
676ED98B-A224-4FF1-9658-1FB9A1589859.jpeg
236AB4E3-426A-4C74-AC3D-17DE79075DEE.jpeg
E4F8C4C7-E806-4B1D-B120-428B3F68D4E1.jpeg
88D06BF9-7B77-4DD5-B04D-2695E3F72B85.jpeg

Hamilton will likely be in your price range w/ both quartz (battery/no-wind) and no-date options. They're relatively minimalist for a solid brand. Movado watches, which I've never been a fan of, may have the extreme bare-bones aesthetic you're looking for as well with quartz options.

I sure don't get this whole watch thing.
My phone tells me what time it is when I HAVE to know.
Life is better when I don't give a crap about what time it is though.
I have been in this camp since smart phones came out. Now I am trying to use my phone less. Looking at my phone to check the time is a gateway drug and then I just wasted 20 mins+

I am hoping if I buy a nice watch maybe I will "get it".

Plus I want to flex on the guys at work :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

My recommendation: Oris Artelier skeleton. I bought mine 13 years ago for $1300. I know the list price is higher than your budget Perry but I can tell you I have received 10x more comments about that than any of my other pieces combined.

1677778489217.jpeg

There’s also a women’s version if you want a matching set. The tremendous value in this watch has made it difficult for me to find any reasonable upgrade in a skeleton since.

My recommendation: Oris Artelier skeleton. I bought mine 13 years ago for $1300. I know the list price is higher than your budget Perry but I can tell you I have received 10x more comments about that than any of my other pieces combined.

View attachment 1091034

There’s also a women’s version if you want a matching set. The tremendous value in this watch has made it difficult for me to find any reasonable upgrade in a skeleton since.

Thanks for the recommendation Karl! I can certainly be talked into spending a bit more. The Oris Artelier skeleton is incredibly nice but the face is a bit busy for my taste. I would love this watch as something to bring out for formal occasions. However, I am currently looking for a watch that is understated which I can wear day to day.

Yeah I am sure there are lots of "old style" watches still out there........ Seems most have gone to the sports fitness tracking watches at least where I live. Me included with a $600 Garmin 955 Solar. The poor mans Apple watch or something. It does lots fancy stuff but elegant I would say its not.

I have always wanted a TAG Heuer though. $1000 unless used might be a bit lite though.

Do you have a specific dial colour you are looking for? How about general watch size or strap material? Is the no sub dials/date criteria firm?
It doesn't seem like branding is too important so I suggest a Geckota Pioneer.

Attachments

• Pioneer.jpg
    Pioneer.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 35

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom