Help managing heartrate (1 Viewer)

Start smoking a bunch of weed before you go in
1710785717776.jpeg

I would not recommend medication therapy for this limiting condition, unless you are talking about crippling performance-related anxiety. Even then, get real medical advice from your doctor and pharmacist. There are a lot of people with underlying medical conditions that won't do well with propranolol and other beta blockers.

well now i have to ask if i should be worried about propranolol for some reason? i have been taking it for well over a decade, primarily when i give presentations at work. i don't have "crippling" performance-related anxiety anymore, but it used to be worse - but still certainly enough that i strongly benefit from something to take the edge off. i have learned over time (with my doctor's involvement) that 40-60mg of propranolol an hour before go-time is the sweet spot to level me out, feel more comfortable, and keep my heart rate in check. for larger poker tournaments where i think nerves may become a factor, i will pop 20mg as a precaution (i have mentioned this to my doctor, and he doesn't seem to have any issue with it). i've certainly wondered if there is some placebo effect going on too.

side note - any dose of propranolol guarantees some crazy vivid dreams for me that night. never nightmares, just really involved shit.

Last edited:
I play online poker while running on a treadmill. Wednesday night I run 8 miles at about a 113 heart rate. Friday nights I run 20 miles and it gets up to about 133. Towards the end of that 3 hour run, good decisions get more difficult and I tend to miss some borderline calls/raises I would find if my heart rate was lower.

I've been running and playing poker for many years.

The end result is that my heart rate stays pretty steady when I'm playing live. It's actually pretty relaxing in comparison. You should try this if you haven't.
Just wanna say…..

Holy shit.

I play online poker while running on a treadmill. Wednesday night I run 8 miles at about a 113 heart rate. Friday nights I run 20 miles and it gets up to about 133. Towards the end of that 3 hour run, good decisions get more difficult and I tend to miss some borderline calls/raises I would find if my heart rate was lower.

I've been running and playing poker for many years.

The end result is that my heart rate stays pretty steady when I'm playing live. It's actually pretty relaxing in comparison. You should try this if you haven't.
I do something similar…

I don’t often play online but when I do I put a strap around the engine block of a 1968 V-8 Mercury and pull it up a 7% incline using nothing but my teeth.

I find it’s pretty easy to keep the heart rate level when I’m potting or bluffing or calling considering that one false move would cause both my mandible to be forcibly torn from my body and a 3000 lb missile of Detroit steel to hurdle down a steep road at frighteningly high speeds to anyone coming up the mountain.

Just wanna say…..

Holy shit.
I actually have an idea for a poker tournament where everyone has to start on a treadmill and finish 7 miles at a minimum speed. The faster you complete it, the sooner you can sit down and fully focus on poker, but those running faster maybe at a temporary disadvantage.

I actually have an idea for a poker tournament where everyone has to start on a treadmill and finish 7 miles at a minimum speed. The faster you complete it, the sooner you can sit down and fully focus on poker, but those running faster maybe at a temporary disadvantage.
Definitely interesting. Kinda reminds me of chessboxing

I have a tournament tonight, definitely gonna try the breathing recommendations.

Was planning on trying the treadmill thing for the PCF PLO5 game last night but frustratingly couldn’t get P* to load.

I have a tournament tonight, definitely gonna try the breathing recommendations.

Was planning on trying the treadmill thing for the PCF PLO5 game last night but frustratingly couldn’t get P* to load.
Aw, it was a good game. I got it in good!!

Aw, it was a good game. I got it in good!!

Do I have to play on a laptop or do they finally have a mobile app for the home games

The laptop was 45 minutes of a frustration and ended where I started

Do I have to play on a laptop or do they finally have a mobile app for the home games

The laptop was 45 minutes of a frustration and ended where I started
They have a mobile app called PokerStars lite. I tried using it recently and got some error about being logged on on another device. Others have reported it working though, I think.
I remember using it on my phone a while back and found it barely tolerable for a two-card game an impractical for others, but it might be fine on a tablet.

5-card Omaha high is an interesting game. Do many people play it in the real world?

I have a fortunate super power. I don't get the shakes until after I'm scooping chips. Then it hits me. It worked the same way for me in the military, which is a good thing.

Of course, I have to tell people on the next hand that the shakes are from the last hand.

Not sure if this applies...

This may not be exactly about heart rate, but when first started playing in (at least what I thought back then) were bigger games, I noticed caffeine use affected me in bigger spots (especially Mountain Dew) to the point I was visibly shaking. I learned to cut back and slow down and it made a difference.

I get all flush in the face before I play, feels like I'm coming down with a fever but goes away after about 30 minutes of playing, can't help it.

Just flopped a boat, rivered quads. Heart rate steady. Lost that hand though. Lost only 3 bb total. Ribbit

no, 2 limps, SB completes, I check option 66 in BB,
flop 444, one bet for 2bb im the only caller
turn j check check
River 4 check check he has king high

The description was better without the details

My heart rate if in a hand always rises and I cannot figure out how to relax and keep it down. If we are in a pot, it’s going to rise until it gets crazy high and stay there until hand is over. Bluffing, nuts, easy spot, hard spot, low stakes, high stakes, it doesn’t matter. And I don’t know if it’s just me being aware of it and noticing it more, but it really seems to be getting worse.

Any and all advice is welcome. Ive been trying some things, but only thing thats working is beer and would be good to have a couple backup options. Really want to solve this before WSOP

Beer or any alcohol will increase your bp/heart rate.

Talk to your doctor. There are some mild anti-anxiety meds he can prescribe.

I would recommend trying some basic yoga or breathing exercisers. If you can control you breath controlling your heart rate becomes easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom