hello from the midwest (2 Viewers)

It may be the upper end of your budget, but check out chips from @SUN-FLY Poker Chips at https://www.apollonchips.com/. With you needing such few chips there is no reason to limit yourself to the metal slugged junk they sell on Amazon.
Thanks for this link, it really seems to be in the price range I’m looking for. I’m thinking the lucky dragon set might be the ones I go for. I like how large the numbers are on the chips (eye sight isn’t the best) and I really like that they don’t have a $ on the chips. That way I can have each one stand for 1 Gould coin or I could switch it for it standing for a copper or silver is we want to play with lower stakes.
Also, “the lucky dragon” totally sounds like a gambling ring that would be in a fantasy setting

But I guess the only thing I need to work out now if how many of each chip I need in my 300 chip set.
The denominations I think I’d like to go for are
But I’m not sure how many of each type I should have. any of you have preferences/tips or perhaps links to point me in the right direction, that would be a big help. In the mean time I think I’ll do some searching and see if I find anything

Welcome to the forum.
I used to live in SW suburbs (Jordan/Chaska/Shakopee).

Apache is going to have some BoardGamers chips soon I believe Link Here that you try to get within your budget

Thanks for this link, it really seems to be in the price range I’m looking for. I’m thinking the lucky dragon set might be the ones I go for. I like how large the numbers are on the chips (eye sight isn’t the best) and I really like that they don’t have a $ on the chips. That way I can have each one stand for 1 Gould coin or I could switch it for it standing for a copper or silver is we want to play with lower stakes.
Also, “the lucky dragon” totally sounds like a gambling ring that would be in a fantasy setting

But I guess the only thing I need to work out now if how many of each chip I need in my 300 chip set.
The denominations I think I’d like to go for are
But I’m not sure how many of each type I should have. any of you have preferences/tips or perhaps links to point me in the right direction, that would be a big help. In the mean time I think I’ll do some searching and see if I find anything
We would need to know a whole lot more about what your plans - things like desired length of play, tournament or cash style, things of that nature.

We would need to know a whole lot more about what your plans - things like desired length of play, tournament or cash style, things of that nature.
Oh, sorry, I’m new enough that I guess I wasn’t sure what information would be needed. Well, I think perhaps it would be nice to have a shouter length poker game, as it would probably be at the end of a session of dnd and people would probably want to get home before 2 am. So about a 2-3 hour game closer to the 2 hour mark if possible.
As for cash or tournament. Both seem like an interesting way to play, but I think with the plans I currently have, I think a “cash” game might make more sense for having fun with end of session gold. Although I’m not 100% sure how to host for a cash game, so tournament might also be a good way to help.
Sorry if that last part wasn’t as helpful. But hopefully length is a bigger help then what I might think

So, 4-5 players, 2 ish hour game, and currently undecided for tournament verses cash game, but I think leaning to a cash game

Welcome to the forum. with 5 of you do you want play for a few hours and let everyone take home their value in gold, or do you want to play winner takes all. This would help in deterring cash or tourney.

Yeah, I’m starting to think that cash games would be the more common choice. So cash games would be the norm.
Alright so just to make sure I have all the information in one place. 4-5 people cash games, was ting it to be around 2 hours at the most. And I’m thinking that the denominations Of chips I’d be taking would be 25, 100, 500, 1000, and then either 5000 if I go with the dragon chips or 2000 if I want to go with the slightly cheaper option that was linked a few post above

I might also be interested Tom have a longer, maybe 5 hour tunament some time in the future, on a day when we don’t play dnd for what every reason.
Maybe it would be a way to see which people would have extra starting gold when we start a new campaign

but let’s just focus on cash games for now

Oh and while we’re on the topic of how many chips I should get I’m what colors. I thought Of someone else
I just remembered the very important advise of “always buy samples” but I’m not sure how much I should get of each denomination in the sample. My first thought was to only get 5 chips, one for each denomination, but then I was thinking that with that few it’s hard to look for inconsistencies between chips. Plus toy wound be fun to know how they stack.
So I was thinking with the sample of luck dragon I might get 4 of each so I can see how a stack of 20 feels, or is that to much?

Oh and while we’re on the topic of how many chips I should get I’m what colors. I thought Of someone else
I just remembered the very important advise of “always buy samples” but I’m not sure how much I should get of each denomination in the sample. My first thought was to only get 5 chips, one for each denomination, but then I was thinking that with that few it’s hard to look for inconsistencies between chips. Plus toy wound be fun to know how they stack.
So I was thinking with the sample of luck dragon I might get 4 of each so I can see how a stack of 20 feels, or is that to much?
When we say "get samples" we mean that most good chip retailers sell "sample packs" of the items they sell. Check these out here https://brpropoker.com/collections/poker-chip-sample-sets

When we say "get samples" we mean that most good chip retailers sell "sample packs" of the items they sell. Check these out here https://brpropoker.com/collections/poker-chip-sample-sets
Ah, thank your for the clarification, although based on the review video I saw I’m almost 100% sure these are the chips for me, but I suppose it never hurts to always get a sample first. Also, thanks for the link. Although the set of 300 from that store is more then buying 300 chips outright. The case is nice and it even has a spot for a lucky dragon dealer button which I didn’t find in the other store. But I’m not sure I can justify the extra $100 for having the case and a button

While brpropoker is more expensive for buying the item, shipping has to be a lot cheaper (brpropoker is in California while SunFly, I think they are either China or Hong Kong). But back to samples, ALWAYS get them. Seeing them on screen versus holding them is definitely different.

While brpropoker is more expensive for buying the item, shipping has to be a lot cheaper (brpropoker is in California while SunFly, I think they are either China or Hong Kong). But back to samples, ALWAYS get them. Seeing them on screen versus holding them is definitely different.
Oh man, I see what you mean about the shiping, Amazon has spoiled me. Alright, I’ll buy the sample and see what I see, but I think I’m still trying to figured out how I’d want to split up my 300 chips into the 5 denominations, because I don’t think 60 of each is the way to go, although if it heals I think that the 100 chip might be the one that gets the most use so maybe I want that one to be a bigger size then say, the 5000.

I live in the land on 10,000 lakes, which is Minnesota nice for 11,842. and if you wanted to be more specific, I think its safe to say I'm part of the 90% of the sates population the lives in or near the twin city's.

and no, I don't have a Minnesota accent, that only a rural Minnesota thing, just about the only thing I'll say is "warshing" instead of "washing"
blame my mother

Welcome neighbor :)!

It may be the upper end of your budget, but check out chips from @SUN-FLY Poker Chips at https://www.apollonchips.com/. With you needing such few chips there is no reason to limit yourself to the metal slugged junk they sell on Amazon.

I just did a Minnesota themed set of these in December, link in my signature.

Alright, I’ll buy the sample and see what I see, but I think I’m still trying to figured out how I’d want to split up my 300 chips into the 5 denominations, because I don’t think 60 of each is the way to go, although if it heals I think that the 100 chip might be the one that gets the most use so maybe I want that one to be a bigger size then say, the 5000.

I am hoping to start hosting again in late July/August, if you wanted to check some out in person. As for how to do tournament breakdowns there are many threads in the tournaments and cash games forum.

Good luck.

Welcome neighbor :)!

I just did a Minnesota themed set of these in December, link in my signature.
Oh man, your practically may neighbor! And your chips looks amazing, it’s super cool to see those chips and the land marks and just be like “hey! I’ve seen that waterfall”. Also, the one with the Vikings ship outside the new stadium, complete with the viking colors. Even me who knows nothing about sports can Appreciate that 20 chip

I am hoping to start hosting again in late July/August, if you wanted to check some out in person. As for how to do tournament breakdowns there are many threads in the tournaments and cash games forum.

Good luck.
Alright, as Daunting as meeting up a stranger from the internet is, I might just need to hit you up on that offer some time. We should exchange details through messages

There's a few of us in the twin cities area on here, and I have played with at least 4 of them.

There also is a "Minneapolis Rounders" group on Meetup.com. Not a lot of action since the shutdown, but there are a number of people that host games there if you wanted to join up.

https://www.meetup.com/Minneapolis-Rounders/

I post my home games there when I have them as well.

Maple Grove here. I do host games, so drop me your contact information via PM if you would like an invite to my next game! You can test drive a lot of chips and cards (and tables) at my place.

MinneMania poker event thread from 2018, 2020 event coming soon....
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/minneapolis-meetup-minnemania-26-29-sept-2018.26090/

craig.jpg

Maple Grove here. I do host games, so drop me your contact information via PM if you would like an invite to my next game! You can test drive a lot of chips and cards (and tables) at my place.

MinneMania poker event thread from 2018, 2020 event coming soon....
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/minneapolis-meetup-minnemania-26-29-sept-2018.26090/

View attachment 481219
Oh nice, it’s great to hear about people close by that host games. Although maple grove is a bit of a drive, I’d definitely want to learn more about driving up there to try and play some of my first poker games

Oh nice, it’s great to hear about people close by that host games. Although maple grove is a bit of a drive, I’d definitely want to learn more about driving up there to try and play some of my first poker games
Meetups with other players is a great way to scout out all the different kinds of poker chips available (I went to a PCF meetup near me once and found out I have no liking for china clays AT ALL). I found PCF people are not only welcoming to others online, but also great people in real life.

Playing at Forrest's house is a life changing experience. I dare say he has the best collection of the Minnesota PCFers :).

Playing at Forrest's house is a life changing experience. I dare say he has the best collection of the Minnesota PCFers :).
Is Forests house a place or is that the name of someone on PCF who hosts amazing games with beautiful chips?

I think a “cash” game might make more sense for having fun with end of session gold. Although I’m not 100% sure how to host for a cash game, so tournament might also be a good way to help.
Sorry if that last part wasn’t as helpful. But hopefully length is a bigger help then what I might think
I think a cash game is easier to run... tournaments have increasing blinds and you have to put in time thinking about how long you want them to run and make a blind schedule accordingly, then there are breaks for coloring up... And are you going to color up, or race off odd chips? With a cash game, buy in and go... occasional rebuy, but that's as difficult as it is.

I just got my sample set of lucky dragon and I love them, I think my only “regret” is that I think my favorite chip is the .25 chip because I don’t think it would be used in the game I’m setting up. Although...I’ve Ben doing some thinking, and I might being getting more then 300chips, I just like them to much to only get so few

I just got my sample set of lucky dragon and I love them, I think my only “regret” is that I think my favorite chip is the .25 chip because I don’t think it would be used in the game I’m setting up. Although...I’ve Ben doing some thinking, and I might being getting more then 300chips, I just like them to much to only get so few
If you got your samples from the link I sent you, check out their "semi-custom" option. You can have your pretty .25 chip with a different denomination. I did that with their Valentino's you can see them here
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/gene-kristil-micro-stakes-magic.53333/

If you got your samples from the link I sent you, check out their "semi-custom" option. You can have your pretty .25 chip with a different denomination. I did that with their Valentino's you can see them here
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/gene-kristil-micro-stakes-magic.53333/
Oh yes, thank you for this information, because another thing I was thinking was that I really love the unmarked orange chip and was hoping I could replace it with the higher 25,000 chip, brown just doesn’t seem like the right color for such a high value chip

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom