Has anyone put an LCD in the middle of their table? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
I'm in the mood to do something different with a table. I keep going back to some crazy ideas like either making a hanging scoreboard with LCDs/Tablets in it or putting an LCD in the middle like this. Looks like it would be fun and functional. I imagine the toughest thing would be to get it at just the right level so that the cards would not flip when sliding over it. Thoughts?

This is the only one I've ever seen. Maybe there's a good reason why :)
https://www.instructables.com/id/Put-an-LCD-in-your-Poker-Table/

A couple things to consider if you put it in the middle

1) it’s where the pot/board would normally go

2) it will impede movement of chips

A few more things no matter where you put it

3) it’s going to make dealing tougher

4) it will cramp your table

5) you run the risk of someone seeing reflections of cards as they are dealt

Seems easier just to put a screen in a missing chair location like flush where chip rack would go or just portable on a stand that could be placed where a player would sit.

Last edited:

Pretty much this. The real question I think is what problem are you trying to solve? Or is it more for the novelty or the challenge of the project?

I don't like the idea of a tournament clock in the middle of the table - the logistics of the power supply and HDMI feed would be cumbersome - and the idea in general really solves a non-existent problem. Plus, what if you have two tables? Solving the logistics of a multi-display setup isn't incredibly difficult, but Will you be modifying all your tables?

That said, a small screen would come in handy for certain things... like an equity calculator or a mixed game indicator. But it's probably more work than it's worth.

Pretty much this. The real question I think is what problem are you trying to solve? Or is it more for the novelty or the challenge of the project?

I don't like the idea of a tournament clock in the middle of the table - the logistics of the power supply and HDMI feed would be cumbersome - and the idea in general really solves a non-existent problem. Plus, what if you have two tables? Solving the logistics of a multi-display setup isn't incredibly difficult, but Will you be modifying all your tables?

That said, a small screen would come in handy for certain things... like an equity calculator or a mixed game indicator. But it's probably more work than it's worth.
Thanks for everyone's feedback, this is what I was looking for. The only problem I am trying to solve is the issue of half the people at our table not being able to see the clock and blinds. But the real motivation as you say is more the novelty of it. I'm just looking for something different to do with a table.

Good points, thanks very much.

Really cool ideas here, would love to see them become real, because, well, you know, science and all.

But realistically, why not just mount a few displays/TVs around the room all connected to the same video feed and call it a day?

How about this idea?

Raised rail, programmable LED/LCD vertical track around the entire rail. Display blinds and timer repeated in increments.

No, I have no idea how to do or source material for this.
Ha, I've thought about that too! Did some googling, but could not find anything suitable.

How about this idea?

Raised rail, programmable LED/LCD vertical track around the entire rail. Display blinds and timer repeated in increments.

No, I have no idea how to do or source material for this.
I've been toying around with a similar idea:
An addressable LED strip around the rail.
It would provide general lighting, mark the dealer position and act as a shot clock for when someone calls time.

I've been toying around with a similar idea:
An addressable LED strip around the rail.
It would provide general lighting, mark the dealer position and act as a shot clock for when someone calls time.
Have you found anything to buy that could be used for this purpose?

Why not just hang a 22-25 inch monitor and purchase the screenbeam to project the tournament clock to the monitor that is hanging on the wall for all the players to see?

On a related note:

I mounted a laser pointer to two servo motors above my table and wired it all up to my dealer seat with a joystick and a few buttons. It does a few things:

1. Acts as a virtual button to indicate the dealer position.
2. Indicates Dealer's choice at random intervals.
3. Keeps track of how many hands we played on a given night.
4. It starts to spin when the action is taking longer than average.

On a related note:

I mounted a laser pointer to two servo motors above my table and wired it all up to my dealer seat with a joystick and a few buttons. It does a few things:

MacGyver....is that you?

On a related note:

We need pics! This sounds amazing!

The addressable LED strips are sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/KORJO-Controlled-Controller-Waterproof-Lighting/dp/B07M87MHH4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2MUDGEPCN07BS&keywords=addressable+led+strip&qid=1567532272&s=gateway&sprefix=addresa,aps,304&sr=8-3

But to get them to do what I'd want, I'd probably need to wire up and program an Arduino Micro-controller.

Even without the micro-controller I imagine you could get some pretty cool effects with what comes in the box.
Oh, OK, I think what allforcharity was talking about was a messaging system where words could be displayed on the rail. That's what I was thinking of. What you are talking about would be cool too.

Why not just hang a 22-25 inch monitor and purchase the screenbeam to project the tournament clock to the monitor that is hanging on the wall for all the players to see?
As I said above, yes, what you are saying is simpler and makes more sense, I'm just trying tom come up with something unique in the table.

We need pics! This sounds amazing!
As requested:
3525BD94-4226-495D-A617-5D4C8177169B.jpeg

48828A76-269A-4FF1-AA60-2B8E50A964DD.jpeg

It’s still fairly experimental, hence the blue masking tape and exposed wiring.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom