Hand Analysis - Before it Airs (5 Viewers)

Damnit. I forgot they will be only place to watch most the WSOP.
Unsubscribe paused

When people say they want to make a living playing poker.

They should just watch that final hand on repeat

That hand alone makes it worth getting the pokergo subscription. Sick play on the turn, Krish! You deserved the 7 on the river after that

Finally caught the hand on PokerGo today during lunch. Few thoughts on the actual hand which was quite interesting (in addition to being one of the sickest hands ever televised). I wish the whole hand took longer to play out because it seemed like the action just went so fast from the turn on. I would urge those of us, who can never imagine playing such high stakes, to break the hand down to whatever stakes we feel more comfortable with so that we can more honestly assess "what we would have done." Hard to say what you would have done when just calling $20k preflop is too much to even imagine for most of us.

Preflop:

Hero raises to $7k
after the straddle (standard - think of raising a .50/1/2 game to $7 pre).
Villain 3bets to $20k (Very aggressive of course, but as @Windwalker correctly points out, the session is about to wrap and he is stuck pretty big. Also, Brynn wants to get into pots with Krish, Eric & Stanley since he knows long term that's where most of his edge will come at a lineup like this. I like his choice of hands here with the 96s, obviously he is gambling but it is a calculated gamble and again, think of it as $20 at the end of a long session and all of a sudden it seems more reasonable).
Hero calls $20k: Very standard here. Up against an aggressive player, Krish can easily call here. We much prefer to be in position but he often actually has the best hand, even if Brynn has the AK/AQ holdings, and we can easily get away from the hand post-flop if necessary should we see a Broadway heavy flop. Those that are saying to fold pre-flop, again think of it was a $20 call, in position, playing very deep. Folding here would be way too tight and losing a ton of money in the long run.

Flop: :6d::5h::6s:

So right away we have to understand that this is a pretty amazing flop for us. Again, not knowing what Brynn's hand is here, we should be extremely happy with this board. We are almost always ahead. Now when Brynn bets $30k on this flop (which he should be doing with most of his AK/AQ holdings, especially if he has a back-door suit), our only play here is to call. Raising does not accomplish anything. We will fold out Brynn's air and get called by his over pairs. We want to strap in and hold on in this spot until we can reassess future streets. Hero calls $30k, and this is the correct and only play here I think.

Turn: :5s:

This is a really interesting turn. Brynn should be checking his FULL range here. All overpairs + all bluffs should go into check-call or check-fold mode generally. When he bets this turn (which is a great bet and a good lesson to those of us who scare ourselves into betting our monsters when we do hit gin), we have to ask ourselves, what would he be doing this with? Do we think 99-AA bets this turn? In his eyes, can't we have either a 6 or a 5 in this spot? It's a confusing bet if we were putting him on a combination of over pairs + some broadway bluffs. So villain bets $80k and he has now (1) 3Bet us pre, (2) bet flop and (3) bombed turn. All of a sudden our 77 is not looking too good against that range. While I wouldn't mind a turn fold here, I think calling again makes the most sense. We have to call $80 into a pot of $185k so we have to be right less than 1 in 2 times in order for this call to be profitable. Factoring in that Brynn is stuck and an aggressive player, I think we can talk ourselves into a call here but again, I don't mind a fold because his turn bet especially is just incredibly strong on this board texture. Brynn being an aggressive player also works against us here in terms of putting him on a range of hands. He is a player who does have the A5s and the A6s in his range. He does have the 86s (and clearly even the 96s), so while he theoretically "shouldn't" have any 6s or 5s in his hand, we know that he is more than capable. Given all of this information, again, I think a fold is totally justifiable but a call still is totally fine.

This of course is where the hand goes off the rails a bit. Hero decides to turn his hand into a bluff, with Krish saying that he was ready to fold if shoved on. I think this is where non-professionals have a harder time thinking through the logic of the hand in game (and that's no slight to Krish, it's an incredibly difficult thing to do, especially at high stakes WITH the cameras rolling, and it's the reason why professionals love lineups like these). I think Krish played this hand exactly as he should have until this tricky turn spot. But now, we find ourselves out of position against one of the best poker players in the world, ostensibly turning a hand that has a ton of showdown value into a bluff. We are also turning our hand into a bluff up against an incredibly polarized range. Brynn has shown about as much strength as he could possible have done in this hand, and if for some reason he doesn't have us beat, he will be snap folding to our $200k raise instead of potentially bluffing off the rest on the river in a tilted haze. Raising turn to 200k with a plan to fold to a shove takes us out of the "flow" of the hand, in a spot where our entire stack is vulnerable. Brynn smooth calls (which is always the correct play here as he knows he has this hand more or less locked up and has witnessed Krish being more than capable of making a few moves on his own - sometimes with as a little as a high card. A raise by Brynn doesn't accomplish anything. He is in position so can put more $ in on the river, should Krish check and he wants to keep Krish's bluffs in.

The river is at once the sickest card in the deck but also in most ways it is the least interesting. The rest of the money is always going in with a stack-to-pot ratio of less than 1-to-1. Our hero gets a beautiful river and Brynn is sent packing. Gotta love Krish's "You think that will make the highlight reel" comment as soon as Brynn has exited stage left. Classic hand and a cool moment to be a part of.

Last edited:
Finally caught the hand on PokerGo today during lunch. Few thoughts on the actual hand which was quite interesting (in addition to being one of the sickest hands ever televised). I wish the whole hand took longer to play out because it seemed like the action just went so fast from the turn on. I would urge those of us, who can never imagine playing such high stakes, to break the hand down to whatever stakes we feel more comfortable with so that we can more honestly assess "what we would have done." Hard to say what you would have done when just calling $20k preflop is too much to even imagine for most of us.

Preflop:

Hero raises to $7k
Villain 3bets to $20k (Very aggressive of course, but as @Windwalker correctly points out, the session is about to wrap and he is stuck pretty big. Also, Brynn wants to get into pots with Krish, Eric & Stanley since he knows long term that's where most of his edge will come at a lineup like this. I like his choice of hands here with the 96s, obviously he is gambling but it is a calculated gamble and again, think of it as $20 at the end of a long session and all of a sudden it seems more reasonable).
Hero calls $20k: Very standard here. Up against an aggressive player, in position, Krish can easily call here. He often actually has the best hand, even if Brynn has the AK/AQ holdings, and we can easily get away from the hand post-flop if necessary should we see a Broadway heavy flop. Those that are saying to fold pre-flop, again think of it was a $20 call, in position, playing very deep. Folding here would be way too tight and losing a ton of money in the long run.

So right away we have to understand that this is a pretty amazing flop for us. Again, not knowing what Brynn's hand is here, we should be extremely happy with this board. We are almost always ahead. Now when Brynn bets $30k on this flop (which he should be doing with most of his AK/AQ holdings, especially if he has a back-door suit), our only play here is to call. Raising does not accomplish anything. We will fold out Brynn's air and get called by his over pairs. We want to strap in and hold on in this spot until we can reassess future streets. Hero calls $30k, and this is the correct and only play here I think.

This is a really interesting turn. Brynn should be checking his FULL range here. All overpairs + all bluffs should go into check-call or check-fold mold generally. When he bets this turn (which is a great bet and a good lesson to those of us who scare ourselves into betting our monsters when we do hit gin), we have to ask ourselves, what would he be doing this with? Do we think 99-AA bets this turn? In his eyes, can't we have either a 6 or a 5 in this spot? It's a confusing bet if we were putting him on a combination of over pairs + some broadway bluffs. So villain bets $80k and he has now (1) 3Bet us pre, (2) bet flop and (3) bombed turn. All of a sudden our 77 is not looking too good against that range. While I wouldn't mind a turn fold here, I think calling again makes the most sense. We have to call $80 into a pot of $185k so we have to be right less than 1 in 2 times in order for this call to be profitable. Factoring in that Brynn is stuck and an aggressive player, I think we can talk ourselves into a call here but again, I don't mind a fold because his turn bet especially is just incredibly strong on this board texture. Brynn being an aggressive player also works against us here in terms of putting him on a range of hands. He is a player who does have the A5s and the A6s in his range. He does have the 86s (and clearly even the 96s), so while he theoretically "shouldn't" have any 6s or 5s in his hand, we know that he is more than capable. Given all of this information, again, I think a fold is totally justifiable but a call still is totally fine.

This of course is where the hand goes off the rails a bit. Hero decides to turn his hand into a bluff, with Krish saying that he was ready to fold if shoved on. I think this is where non-professionals have a harder time thinking through the logic of the hand in game (and that's no slight to Krish, it's an incredibly difficult thing to do, especially at high stakes WITH the cameras rolling, and it's the reason why professionals love lineups like these). I think Krish played this hand exactly as he should have until this tricky turn spot. But now, we find ourselves out of position against one of the best poker players in the world, ostensibly turning a hand that has a ton of showdown value into a bluff. We are also turning our hand into a bluff up against an incredibly polarized range. Brynn has shown about as much strength as he could possible have done in this hand, and if for some reason he doesn't have us beat, he will be snap folding to our $200k raise instead of potentially bluffing off the rest on the river in a tilted haze. Raising turn to 200k with a plan to fold to a shove takes us out of the "flow" of the hand, in a spot where our entire stack is vulnerable. Brynn smooth calls (which is always the correct play here as he knows he has this hand more or less locked up and has witnessed Krish being more than capable of making a few moves on his own - sometimes with as a little as a high card. A raise by Brynn doesn't accomplish anything. He is in position so can put more $ in on the river, should Krish check and he wants to keep Krish's bluffs in.

The river is at once the sickest card in the deck but also in most ways it is the least interesting. The rest of the money is always going in with a stack-to-pot ratio of less than 1-to-1. Our hero gets a beautiful river and Brynn is sent packing. Gotta love Krish's "You think that will make the highlight reel" comment as soon as Brynn has exited stage left. Classic hand and a cool moment to be a part of.

Krish is UTG, Bryn is on the button, I thought? If that is correct, Krish is calling a big raise OOP against an aggressive and skilled opponent

I would be looking to avoid spots like that myself, but I also don't have anywhere near the bankroll to touch these stakes

Krish is UTG, Bryn is on the button, I thought? If that is correct, Krish is calling a big raise OOP against an aggressive and skilled opponent

I would be looking to avoid spots like that myself, but I also don't have anywhere near the bankroll to touch these stakes
Yup, hero is OOP vs Brynn. And yes, as a general rule, playing big pots out of position vs pros is what we want to avoid whenever possible. In this case however, I think the hand developed in a more or less standard way. We certainly can't fold 77 pre or on the flop.

Yup, hero is OOP vs Brynn. And yes, as a general rule, playing big pots out of position vs pros is what we want to avoid whenever possible. In this case however, I think the hand developed in a more or less standard way. We certainly can't fold 77 pre or on the flop.

We raised to 3k, have a caller inbetween and got repopped to 20k

I still fold this pre OOP facing such a massive reraise with Garret still left to act. But fwiw, I am a puss lol

Preflop:

Hero raises to $7k
Hero calls $20k: Very standard here. Up against an aggressive player, Krish can easily call here. We much prefer to be in position but he often actually has the best hand, even if Brynn has the AK/AQ holdings, and we can easily get away from the hand post-flop if necessary should we see a Broadway heavy flop. Those that are saying to fold pre-flop, again think of it was a $20 call, in position, playing very deep. Folding here would be way too tight and losing a ton of money in the long run.

This is a really interesting turn. Brynn should be checking his FULL range here. All overpairs + all bluffs should go into check-call or check-fold mold generally. When he bets this turn (which is a great bet and a good lesson to those of us who scare ourselves into betting our monsters when we do hit gin), we have to ask ourselves, what would he be doing this with? Do we think 99-AA bets this turn? In his eyes, can't we have either a 6 or a 5 in this spot? It's a confusing bet if we were putting him on a combination of over pairs + some broadway bluffs. So villain bets $80k and he has now (1) 3Bet us pre, (2) bet flop and (3) bombed turn. All of a sudden our 77 is not looking too good against that range. While I wouldn't mind a turn fold here, I think calling again makes the most sense. We have to call $80 into a pot of $185k so we have to be right less than 1 in 2 times in order for this call to be profitable. Factoring in that Brynn is stuck and an aggressive player, I think we can talk ourselves into a call here but again, I don't mind a fold because his turn bet especially is just incredibly strong on this board texture. Brynn being an aggressive player also works against us here in terms of putting him on a range of hands. He is a player who does have the A5s and the A6s in his range. He does have the 86s (and clearly even the 96s), so while he theoretically "shouldn't" have any 6s or 5s in his hand, we know that he is more than capable. Given all of this information, again, I think a fold is totally justifiable but a call still is totally fine.

Interested if PIO raises 77 on the turn (someone want to run it?) I wouldn’t be surprised if it really likes raising the :7h::7c: combo despite the showdown value, because completely blocks 76s. Dunno what it does for :7d::7h:

Ah sorry, thought I read differently in the OP
Yeah - and I mean if you were sitting $500 deep in a $1/2 game, you're telling me after you raise to $7 with 7s you aren't calling the $13 pre vs an aggressive player? I bet you are calling the $20 pre and the $30 on the flop most every time? Now the $80 on the turn maybe not but pre and flop and very standard imo.

Yeah - and I mean if you were sitting $500 deep in a $1/2 game, you're telling me after you raise to $7 with 7s you aren't calling the $13 pre vs an aggressive player? I bet you are calling the $20 pre and the $30 on the flop most every time? Now the $80 on the turn maybe not but pre and flop and very standard imo.

Yeah, that changes things significantly, I was going off the 3k mentioned in the OP

If we're in for 7k I agree calling the raise seems correct

Hero raises to $7k after the straddle (standard - think of raising a .50/1/2 game to $7 pre).
Dividing the numbers down to a game we're familiar with really helps us relate to the hand better. Late in the night with several players stuck it's not unusual for raises to $10 or $20 preflop on a 0.5/1 game and even then would have potentially have more than one caller.

Dividing the numbers down to a game we're familiar with really helps us relate to the hand better. Late in the night with several players stuck it's not unusual for raises to $10 or $20 preflop on a 0.5/1 game and even then would have potentially have more than one caller.
Exactly, and there is a LOT of $ to be made calling down those kinds of players with our 7s.

Preflop:

Hero raises to $7k

This is a really interesting turn. Brynn should be checking his FULL range here. All overpairs + all bluffs should go into check-call or check-fold mode generally. When he bets this turn (which is a great bet and a good lesson to those of us who scare ourselves into betting our monsters when we do hit gin), we have to ask ourselves, what would he be doing this with? Do we think 99-AA bets this turn? In his eyes, can't we have either a 6 or a 5 in this spot? It's a confusing bet if we were putting him on a combination of over pairs + some broadway bluffs. So villain bets $80k and he has now (1) 3Bet us pre, (2) bet flop and (3) bombed turn. All of a sudden our 77 is not looking too good against that range. While I wouldn't mind a turn fold here, I think calling again makes the most sense. We have to call $80 into a pot of $185k so we have to be right less than 1 in 2 times in order for this call to be profitable. Factoring in that Brynn is stuck and an aggressive player, I think we can talk ourselves into a call here but again, I don't mind a fold because his turn bet especially is just incredibly strong on this board texture. Brynn being an aggressive player also works against us here in terms of putting him on a range of hands. He is a player who does have the A5s and the A6s in his range. He does have the 86s (and clearly even the 96s), so while he theoretically "shouldn't" have any 6s or 5s in his hand, we know that he is more than capable. Given all of this information, again, I think a fold is totally justifiable but a call still is totally fine.

Annnnd you pretty much exactly summed up my thoughts after just watching the episode.

The preflop and flop play is totally standard, the turn raise to $200k doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Your hand is way too strong to turn into a bluff, you don't need to rep a 5 or a 6 unless you're specifically trying to push him off an overpair. His 2/3 pot bet after the board double pairs is SUPER polarizing - he either has a 5 or a 6 for the effective nuts at the moment leaving you drawing close to dead, or is bluffing with absolutely nothing but Ace-hi at most. I don't think an overpair is EVER taking this bet size as you should have all of the A5s, A6s, 55, 66, 67s, 45s in your range. Obviously as played you catch one of the sickest rivers in history and scoop an almost 1Mil pot, so it worked out nicely.

Preflop:

Hero raises to $7k

huge difference between his open being 3k (3bet to 20k) and being 7k (3bet to 20k) with straddles.

krish is now in a slightly later position, there's more dead money in the pot, his opening range is wider, and brynn is risking way less in proportion to the pot.

I would urge those of us, who can never imagine playing such high stakes, to break the hand down to whatever stakes we feel more comfortable with so that we can more honestly assess "what we would have done."
I've already lost count of how many zeros I'd have to chop off.

I could but I would have no idea how to generate starting ranges for the two players - I have been watching this season and the ranges being played are far from GTO. If you'd like to identify some starting ranges, I'll pop it into GTO+
It will have to be pretty wide given the opponent. Maybe 65s+ 88+ KQo+

So would you like this for Krish's range:

1652296303055.png

Well not going anywhere this weekend since the wife got COVID, so what better time to binge on HSP? Started at episode 12 just to see the hand in question and my first remarks is that Persson is a wild man to play poker against! Just saw the hand against Garrett and he has a uncanny ability to rattle the other players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom